1. BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I have the phone in the centre armrest bt connected to the MMI, my android sees the car but never connects, presumably because I dont have the relevant BT module.
    My question is, I am sure I can add the module, as I see dozens on fleabay, but I see some that look identical for the likes of Seat, that are cheaper.

1. Can I use any BT module for my car (by this I mean one for another manufacturer they say works for my car?)
    2. is it plug and work or do I need to use a VCDS to enable it?

Thanks all.

The current setup works, I have a sim in it, and I forward my mobile to the car phone, which works, but when I make calls from the car, I have to pay 2 monthly bills, which is a bit of a pain in the backside.

On an entirely different note, I have managed 400 miles and still have what looks to be half a tank.

0 0 0

2. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    You have to use an Audi BlueTooth module as your A6 with an MMI uses an optical MOST Bus.

You can replace the Sim based one installed [aka Motorola unit or Telefon Eu] with either:
    a) 4F1 862 335 - known as a BTA
    b) 4E0 862 335 - known as a Handyvorb2

Neither are straight replacements as the electrical connectors of the BT units are different than the original. But the adaptation is relatively easy by using a replacement connector for the car loom.

Your original ECU has 4 connections; electrical [power, mic, etc], optical [audio], GSM aerial [for phone signal], BT aerial [for optional handset only]

BTA has four connections which allows it to use the existing external amplified GSM aerial [better]; Handyvorb2 has three connections which means you have to use the phone aerial [not so good].

EBay pricing is illogical because sellers don't really know what the ECUs do! I'd look for the best value BTA unit if I was to replace the original.

Julian
    Last edited by JulianHicks; 15-04-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Typos

0 0 0

3. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Many thanks for the extremely detailed and precise answers, exactly what I needed.

0 0 0

4. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    ok, so which of these, because They all seem to have the same model number but cover so many versions and years of car.

GENUINE 2007 - 2012 AUDI A5 8T BLUETOOTH INTERFACE BOX CONTROL UNIT 4E0862335 | eBay

or

Audi Q7 A6 C6 4F A5 A4 A8 Phone Interface Bluetooth Module 8P0862335D | eBay

0 0 0

5. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spottedhaggis View Post
    ok, so which of these, because They all seem to have the same model number but cover so many versions and years of car.

GENUINE 2007 - 2012 AUDI A5 8T BLUETOOTH INTERFACE BOX CONTROL UNIT 4E0862335 | eBay

or

Audi Q7 A6 C6 4F A5 A4 A8 Phone Interface Bluetooth Module 8P0862335D | eBay
    Ignore ebay descriptions - refer to my earlier comment about ebay sellers not knowing what Audi ECUs do! [I've seen CD drives described as navigation control units]!

Only use part numbers and check the pictures match the text. In the A6, you can only use the part numbers I quoted ; that is either the 4E0 or the 4F1 ones.

0 0 0

6. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    FYI; here are pictures of the three ECUs; note that the BT ones have different [incompatible] electrical connectors. The BT ones are black; the Motorola one is blue. The car connector on the loom is blue and will need 'fixing' to connect to the black BT connector of the ECU.

Note that the other connectors are: maroon [external aerial], yellow [BT aerial], small black [optical] and that the BTA picture shows a dummy yellow connector inserted into the black optical connector of the ECU!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JulianHicks; 15-04-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added missing text

0 0 0

7. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Nothing like Audi keeping things simple right.

ok, so

1. ignore all Ebay descriptions, use Part codes only.
    2. Go for the 4F1 862 335 as this one is better

This will be fun, but Im not in a rush. Shame I never looked at this before, I just blew £130 using a Virgin sim while driving, lol, that along with my O2 phone, much easier just to have one.

0 0 0

8. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    sorry to ask, but are the converters available, Motorola to BTA (Blue to BLack) and if so what would I be searching for (I tried Audi Motorola to BTA, but nothing)

0 0 0

9. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spottedhaggis View Post
    sorry to ask, but are the converters available, ...
    Sorry; misled you with description as 'passthru' connector [and I've edited the original text above to avoid confusion for others].

The 'proper' conversion is to remove pins from the original blue connector on the car loom and put them in the adapter part number 4E0 972 144, which is about £5. [Text edited 1Jul18]

Some pins need to be moved to different points in the connector but there are other posts which explain the changes. [For example : See Audiworld forum - A8 D3 Platform - post dated 02-01-2018 "Bluetooth phone module retrofit. You can view without becoming a member of the forum.]

I think it's also possible to just 'move pins around' in the original blue connector and plug into the black connector. [Edited 1Jul18 - not true; you need the adapter and you have to dismantle the original blue connector]

From another forum:

OLD - NEW
    33 - 14 - Diagnostics
    42 - 11 - Mic +
    41 - 12 - Mic -
    15 - 10 - Terminal 31 [Earth]
    16 - 2 - Terminal 31 [Earth]
    35 - 1 - Terminal 30 [+12V]

[Apologies for corrections, but I haven't done this mod. myself].
    Last edited by JulianHicks; 01-07-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Correct misunderstanding about possible use of original connector

0 0 0

10. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    ok so I found a BTA unit 4F1 862 335 on ebay for £140 + £15 shipping so have ordered this. Presumably all I now need is to convert the blu connector using the 4E0 972 144 adaptor

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast