Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Window slow / sticking after fitting new regulator / window mechanism - Help!

1. Window slow / sticking after fitting new regulator / window mechanism - Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi folks, I’m in the middle of fitting a new window regulator after the cables snapped on the old one.
    I’ve installed the new one but the window is very sluggish going up and sometimes stops.
    Is there a trick I’m missing with the alignment of the 2 black tracks and connecting the glass to them!?
    Any help much appreciated!
    Ps the motor seems ok so I don’t think it’s the issue!
    Audi A6 2008 Saloon Sline 2.0 Tdi BRE
    Vw Passat B7 1.6 tdi 2012 estate

Previously - 2008 1.6 tdi Mini, 2006 Mazda Mx5 1.8, 2002 Vw Golf 1.9 tdi SE, 2010 Bmw 318d Msport, 1992 Porsche 944 2.5 turbo, 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 NA, 1984 Porsche 944 2.5 NA

0 0 0

2. Re: Window slow / sticking after fitting new regulator / window mechanism - Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Pics showing old and new regulators
    Attached Images

Previously - 2008 1.6 tdi Mini, 2006 Mazda Mx5 1.8, 2002 Vw Golf 1.9 tdi SE, 2010 Bmw 318d Msport, 1992 Porsche 944 2.5 turbo, 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 NA, 1984 Porsche 944 2.5 NA

0 0 0

3. Re: Window slow / sticking after fitting new regulator / window mechanism - Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I had similar trouble turned out the battery had drained a bit while I was working on it. Guy in work got some ptfe spray on the o help his windows up.

0 0 0

4. Re: Window slow / sticking after fitting new regulator / window mechanism - Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Funnily enough, that obviously hasn’t helped after a run it’s now going up and down quicker but not as fast as the passenger one.
    I bought my regulators from eBay and transferred the Audi clips - I would stick to know either oem or Lucas / Valeo.
    These are crap, however the window was stuck down and is now up so for £30 it will do for now.
    I’ve done regulators a few times in the past but these were a horrible job to do.
    I had to drill out the regulator top mountings as they had too much flash to let the screws through and the plastic runners were warped!
    Also a lot of stripping down to get the door apart and window out!
    Finally the position of the runners on / in the glass is fairly critical to allow smooth running!

0 0 0

5. Re: Window slow / sticking after fitting new regulator / window mechanism - Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strath44 View Post
    Funnily enough, that obviously hasn’t helped after a run it’s now going up and down quicker but not as fast as the passenger one.
    I bought my regulators from eBay and transferred the Audi clips - I would stick to know either oem or Lucas / Valeo.
    These are crap, however the window was stuck down and is now up so for £30 it will do for now.
    I’ve done regulators a few times in the past but these were a horrible job to do.
    I had to drill out the regulator top mountings as they had too much flash to let the screws through and the plastic runners were warped!
    Also a lot of stripping down to get the door apart and window out!
    Finally the position of the runners on / in the glass is fairly critical to allow smooth running!
    Hi Strath44, I'm wondering if you can provide me with a link to the regulators you bought on eBay. I need to replace my regulator on my drivers door and it seems like a daunting job to be honest and alot harder than my previous Golf MK5. Do you also perhaps have a guide where it shows you the steps in replacing the regulators and removing the window frame. If it's anything like the A4 videos on YouTube, I've got my work cut out for me with this job.

Maintenance Thread: Maintenance Thread (VWAudi)
    2005 Audi A6 C6 2.0 TDI SE (BLB) (Akoya Silver)

0 0 0

6. Re: Window slow / sticking after fitting new regulator / window mechanism - Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi mate personally I would go with the ones on euro car parts or car parts for less (same people) make sure you use a discount code easily found online to get a bit off!
    Their variant was about £60 less any discount. I can’t remember the brand but generally ECP is good for aftermarket quality.
    I don’t want to link to the ones I got because I don’t think they were great quality, time was a factor for me though and a permanently open window!!!
    I’ll see what I can find and will post up links tonight.
    It’s not that bad on the return journey (putting it back together) and if you have spare time it’s doable to same a bit of cash!

0 0 0

7. Re: Window slow / sticking after fitting new regulator / window mechanism - Help! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I find it best putting white grease on moving parts

normal grease just drys out, must be white grease
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0