Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Water sloshing sound when stopping and accelerating !!?

1. Water sloshing sound when stopping and accelerating !!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I was driving for about 5 hrs in mostly rain recently and noticed that when I stopped to park moving back and forth slowly, I could hear water sloshing from what sounds like in the sills or in the door piller on the drivers side?
    I have read that this is common in the car I have being an Audi A4 Cabriolet but have yet to find an accurate root cause and how to drain the water?
    Before you ask, its not he scuttle drain unde the battery has this area is dry and I have removed the rubber bung anyway. I pulled off whay I thought was a rubber bung on the car sill near the front but no water came out. I noticed that the chrome windscreen trim on the driver side appear to have a slight gap where the rubber trim touches the winddscreen so could be the cause, however I just cant find where the water is tapped?
    The rubber door seal that runs to the convertible roof hole is clear as I can pour water through it too.
    Inside the car the carpet is dry, however I have read that it can be under the carpert and despite it feeling dry you need to lift the carpet out to suck out all the water?

You can here the water at the start of clip...

IF anyone can shed some light on how I might be able to drain the water etc?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Water sloshing sound when stopping and accelerating !!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A1EK View Post
    I was driving for about 5 hrs in mostly rain recently and noticed that when I stopped to park moving back and forth slowly, I could hear water sloshing from what sounds like in the sills or in the door piller on the drivers side?
    I have read that this is common in the car I have being an Audi A4 Cabriolet but have yet to find an accurate root cause and how to drain the water?
    Before you ask, its not he scuttle drain unde the battery has this area is dry and I have removed the rubber bung anyway. I pulled off whay I thought was a rubber bung on the car sill near the front but no water came out. I noticed that the chrome windscreen trim on the driver side appear to have a slight gap where the rubber trim touches the winddscreen so could be the cause, however I just cant find where the water is tapped?
    The rubber door seal that runs to the convertible roof hole is clear as I can pour water through it too.
    Inside the car the carpet is dry, however I have read that it can be under the carpert and despite it feeling dry you need to lift the carpet out to suck out all the water?

You can here the water at the start of clip...

IF anyone can shed some light on how I might be able to drain the water etc?

Thanks
    Lift the bonnet and check next to the batterym tgats the usual place water gathers. Theres two rubber grommets at tge bottom that block up with debris, either ckear tgem or push them out altogether .

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Water sloshing sound when stopping and accelerating !!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Again as a first stated, I do not have any water around the battery as I have removed the scuttle plugs months ago.
    However I have now fixed the issue:

I removed the ECU cover and checked deep inside and it was bone dry along with the area around the battery and ther brake cylinder. By the way my windscreen arm would not come off to remove the plsatic cowling, however you can remove the ECU cover without removing the cowling by drlling a small 5mm hole next to the drain hole (see photo). this then allows you to insert either a sotted screwdriver or allen key to access the rear ECU bolt. Interestingly I dropped a screw into ECU box and it fell out in the inside of my drivers mat, so obvioulsy if water ingresses in this area it is why it drips onto the carpet.

You can see in the photos that the area around the battery and brake cylinder is bone dry ( because I have removed the scuttle plug). So back to my first insticts that there was water ingress in the sills, I removed the plastic corner trim where the skirts are and found another rubber bung and when I removed this all the water poured out ! It was clear and did not look old so I am hopefull that this was a rare fluke due to driving for 5 hrs in the rain.
    I have drilled a couple of drain holes now in the rubber bing to allow the water to come out if this happens again.
    I think the water may have ingressed where the door wiring rubber gator is as it runs down from the convertible roof so I sealed the plug and will see what happens. I also sealed around the Chrome windscreen trim as I beleive that the glass has bee replaced and the seal on the chrome trim was not toucing the glass which could be the cause, so will see.
    Attached Images

0 1 0

4. Re: Water sloshing sound when stopping and accelerating !!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Sorry I missed the part about you already draining the scuttle area, It's such a common problem and still their are so many that don't know about it.
    Yours is the first I have heard of with water in the sills, glad you have it fixed now.

0 1 0

5. Re: Water sloshing sound when stopping and accelerating !!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    You sure this isn't fuel, I get this sound in my Avant when braking.

0 0 0

6. Re: Water sloshing sound when stopping and accelerating !!? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had this a few years ago. Water in sills. I removed the trim from the front of the sill where it meets the wheel arch and cleared out the drain hole. A lot of water came out!

0 0 0