Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I am just trying to get my head around why I would need to steer to the left slightly when using the temp wheel...

Am I correct in my thinking here........

Yes, it may be the tracking but I don't think the incident was bad enough to cause that, as I have said more like I drove over something and there was no real "bang"

So.... if the temp wheel is fitted to the OSF on the steering axle, and this wheel is actually 5mm smaller than the NSF, the OSF wheel and in fact the differential would have to spin slightly faster to keep up with the other 3 OE wheels...

In that case as the temp wheel is on the OSF it would try to make the steering axle drift right towards the faster wheel and differential ....so I need to compensate by turning left slightly? Does that logic make sense???

I am hopefully getting the OE wheel/tyre back on tomorrow or Wednesday if he has to order one, although I am calling early in the morning to see if he can get one same day but I will get the alignment checked anyway....
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

2. Re: Anyone used a spacesaver wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The space saver has a lower rolling resistance so the car would pull to the direction the normal tyre is fitted.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Anyone used a spacesaver wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Thanks Steve

Mmm could have knocked the alignment out then as I need to turn the wheel towards the left slightly, i.e towards the normal tyre..... As it is a full size temp wheel but the rolling circumference is 5 mm smaller due to the size 16 inch rather than 18 inch, would that cause it to pull slightly to the right, i.e the side it is fitted... due to the slight slight increase of that side? OE is 225/40R18, steel is 205/55R16 think they are all Michelin tyres as well lol as I say did not seem a big enough impact, bang or jolt to warrant knocking alignment out..

Funny how when the tyre went flat the tyre monitoring did not go off but within a few seconds with the temp on it did so it must have registered a difference in the size...
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

4. Re: Anyone used a spacesaver wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Wheel speed based tyre pressure monitoring is a bit dull in its response time and would not be able to react to a sudden deflation. I would wait until the new tyre is fitted before worrying any more.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: Anyone used a spacesaver wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Thanks Steve... I am the worrying type lol especially with my pride and joy.... lol

As I say I think I went down a rut and caught a raised cat's eye in the middle of it, it put a perfect 3/4 inch slice in the tyre only done about 3000 miles on the tyre as well

It just felt like I needed to steer left a little mind you I know the temp has a 50 MPH limit and I think I was going a bit faster when I noticed the way the steering wheel was angled, just slightly left....

I am hopefully getting it changed over local to me tomorrow and fingers cross it will not do it then..... I HOPE
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

6. Re: Anyone used a spacesaver wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    One quick point that springs to mind is the issue of getting a wheel off that may have not been removed since new. Modern wheels make it easy to check discs and pads so the wheels do not have to come off during servicing so they corrode on. The ideal solution would be wheel removal, location cleaning and aluminium paste treating the hub and wheel at each service BUT this has gone out of fashion due to the time it takes. To remove four stuck wheels, drill wire wheel the hubs, clean out the wheel locations, bench wire wheel clean the bolts, ally paste everything (no nasty copper grease) and refit the wheel bolts by hand, nipping down with the air gun and then torquing 20 bolts to 120Nm takes at least an hour AND introduces the **** up senario possibility of a wheel coming loose. Not only that but some modern Audi wheels weigh so much (21’s on a Q7 must weigh 50Kg) we are now having to look at buying a wheel lift as it has become a two man job to get a wheel off and back on again.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Anyone used a spacesaver wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    And the call them "Light alloy" lol..... I had to call the RAC out much to my disappointment as I jacked up OK, got the bolts off OK but the bloody wheel was solid.... looking at the wheel there is quite a bit of powder/corrosion around the centre hub, although it does seem to come off when you rub it.... I did notice that the badges on the centres are corroding so I may get those changed soon by the same bloke who I am going to get the tyre from, so I may ask if, when I do get the badges he can take all the wheels off and clean up all the hubs/centres of the wheels and protect them... JUST IN CASE I need to do it again...

The RAC chap did just tighten them and use a torque wrench...

Did notice the bolts seemed to have corrosion on as well.... not bad but it was there....

The bit that worries me was the having to, or appearing to have to turn left very slightly to keep straight, I am hoping it is just plain and simple down to the different wheel/tyre size now on the OSF, albeit on 5mm in rolling distance, but I suppose 5mm is a lot.. and the slight speed difference of that wheel and maybe the diff is the reason...
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

8. Re: Anyone used a spacesaver wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    New tyre ordered, will be with the chap by close of play today so off at 8am tomorrow to get the wheel back on and the alignment checked....
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

9. Re: Anyone used a spacesaver wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    All sorted, new tyre fitted and alignment checked.... I did drive down the road after he fitted the original wheel back on and the steering was much improved, although to me the steering wheel was "just off centre" but that could have been down to the camber on the road.... So I let him check it... was within tolerance but he adjusted it very slightly both sides to make the steering wheel perfect... which driving home it seems to be

all sorted and baby is back to normal ... Moral... don't overtake idiots who can't drive down hill lol...
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

10. Re: Anyone used a spacesaver wheel? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Have too say I think the very slight adjustment he made to the front alignment has made a big difference, seems much smoother to me... maybe it needed just a fine tweak on his very fancy camera style 4 wheel alignment set up... at least from and rear are all spot on....
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast