Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi

I'm the new and proud owner of an A6 with the 3.0 L BMK engine (2005).

I was aware of the known injector issue when buying the car and the previous owner (a friend) reported occasional white smoke when setting off from standing etc. I've also noticed from the car's paperwork that the oil level was found to be too high at the last MOT, another sign of a leaky injector(s). The injectors have never been replaced (150,000 miles).

I'm trying to decide what to do next and I'd appreciate your opinions. The options I can see are:

1. Buy six new injectors (£1200) and address the issue once and for all, with other improvements such as better fuel economy etc. It's a big layout but I intend to keep the car for several years.

2. Test the injectors and only replace the ones that are leaking, with either new/second hand injectors. Cheaper, but I may need to replace other injectors down the line. Less of an initial layout and less risky if the car doesn't last several years...

3. Is there another option?

I will carry out the work myself and intend to but a Ross Tech cable so I can programme any new injectors + scan for future faults.

Many thanks from a newbie...

0 0 0

2. Re: Injector advice please - BMK 3.0 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    You can do as I did. Buy used ones in good condition, preferable tested with true and honest results, test them if not tested by the vendor and that’s it. 500 euros costed me. I didn’t test them before because I tested mine and costed 70 euros. I just trusted the seller. I got rid of the shaking problem and the engine starting at warm problem but I still have some grey smoke on idle and a strange metal sound in full throttle that I didn’t have before. I should change the lambda sonde too but too much money for now in this car )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Injector advice please - BMK 3.0 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustychain View Post
    Hi

I'm the new and proud owner of an A6 with the 3.0 L BMK engine (2005).

I was aware of the known injector issue when buying the car and the previous owner (a friend) reported occasional white smoke when setting off from standing etc. I've also noticed from the car's paperwork that the oil level was found to be too high at the last MOT, another sign of a leaky injector(s). The injectors have never been replaced (150,000 miles).

I'm trying to decide what to do next and I'd appreciate your opinions. The options I can see are:

1. Buy six new injectors (£1200) and address the issue once and for all, with other improvements such as better fuel economy etc. It's a big layout but I intend to keep the car for several years.

2. Test the injectors and only replace the ones that are leaking, with either new/second hand injectors. Cheaper, but I may need to replace other injectors down the line. Less of an initial layout and less risky if the car doesn't last several years...

3. Is there another option?

I will carry out the work myself and intend to but a Ross Tech cable so I can programme any new injectors + scan for future faults.

Many thanks from a newbie...
    I believe they was replaced at a certain build date there's dates printed on the side and the information on the ones that had problems is about in threads somewhere sorry I can't point you straight to it but it was a while back when I came across it, personally if you are getting no problems and you are only getting slight smoke on pull away I wouldn't bother it's a big expense and most cars leave a little smoke on pull away (I can't see how bad yours is) are you sure the oil wasn't just over filled on last service (I don't know how long you have had the car or who did it's last service) beware of jumping to look into common faults without reason...... Chain tensioners are common too it's an engine out job so costs a bundle... Easy two grand plus

0 0 0

4. Re: Injector advice please - BMK 3.0 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Many thanks for the responses and advice on what to do next.

I got a fairly big plume of white smoke today after pulling away rapidly from a junction, enough to be a bit embarrassing!

It sounds like I might be better identifying how many of the injectors need replacing first (if any), rather than just replacing them all. Can I do this using VCDS or would I be better taking them out and having them tested by Diesel Bob or similar?

I've found some second hand ones from Germany with test reports and a 1 yr warranty for £80 each - might be a better option than new considering the age and mileage of the vehicle.

Cheers

0 0 0

5. Re: Injector advice please - BMK 3.0 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    It’s better to change them all with the same oem
    code. Different codes might not work so well. Pull your injectors out, test them and see wich one is bad. I think you have max 3 deffective. If you find with the same code of yours, buy the pieces you need only. This is only my advice.

0 0 0

6. Re: Injector advice please - BMK 3.0 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustychain View Post
    Many thanks for the responses and advice on what to do next.

I got a fairly big plume of white smoke today after pulling away rapidly from a junction, enough to be a bit embarrassing!

It sounds like I might be better identifying how many of the injectors need replacing first (if any), rather than just replacing them all. Can I do this using VCDS or would I be better taking them out and having them tested by Diesel Bob or similar?

I've found some second hand ones from Germany with test reports and a 1 yr warranty for £80 each - might be a better option than new considering the age and mileage of the vehicle.

Cheers
    Is this appearing on a warm engine? If the injectors are knackered I think you would be noticing white smoke on more than pull away but if you do intend to replace them then I doubt it would be worth replacing them with a complete set of brand new ones as they are around 500-600 per injector 80 for a recon is very good as they are usually around 300 each you will likely have to send your old one to them though you can't test them on VCDS as far as I know It just shows that they have aged I think there's videos that show how to test them on you tube but you have to remove them first

0 0 0

7. Re: Injector advice please - BMK 3.0 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The problem seems to be getting worse (or I'm driving the car more so I'm seeing the problem!)

With a bit of searching I found the Audi TPI for this issue. My car matches the symptoms - white smoke after idling/pulling away, poor starting once warm due to diesel in the cylinders.

I've taken some block readings using VCDS in accordance with the TPI, but I'm not sure what the results mean. I'd appreciate some input from anyone who understands these things!

300 600 1000
    Block 72: 2ms 20ms 16ms
    Block 73: -18ms 0ms 0ms
    Block 74: -4ms 18ms 16ms
    Block 75: -12ms 0ms 0ms
    Block 76: -24ms -8ms -6ms
    Block 77: -34ms -12ms -2ms

The TPI says:
    Read the measured value blocks 72 - 77. 3 values per measured value block appear there (for 300 bar, 600 bar, 1000 bar).

Should the values be higher than minus -45 ms (example - 60ms) or on digit 2 be higher than minus -15 ms (e.g. 20ms), the needle attachment is worn and the injector is incorrect.

All the values are below -45 ms, but what does "on digit 2" mean? Maybe the second column of figures? If yes, the figures appear to be okay (I think!)

I also wonder if the 0 ms readings are significant?

0 0 0

8. Injector advice please - BMK 3.0 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    No, 0 is not significant. Your values are ok, digit 2 means the second column of each injector value aka 600 bar reading. Anyway this is not a fixed trustable value. You need to test them like I said. It’s not so difficult to take them out!
    You can’t take the TPI. Your values are within the range of specification from the TPI itself.
    I personally think from the readings, your 5th and 6th injector are a little too much warn but you can have more injectors deffective.

0 0 0

9. Re: Injector advice please - BMK 3.0 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for your response.

I agree, I probably need to physically test them next. Thankfully taking them out seems to be reasonably easy!

Do I just remove them and see if any leak (eg into a bottle or similar)?

0 0 0

10. Re: Injector advice please - BMK 3.0 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    You’re welcome. You need to completly remove them and test them on a test bench. Find someone in your area with a piezo injector test bench and ask him to only test them and put the values here so I can read them in case you need.
    It’s not so difficult to remove them, I can help you with any info, I just posted some pics with the removal on the injectors from elsawin but I personally changed a lot of them on this car so I know all the steps.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast