Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi,

On previous cars, I have hard wired the dashcam to the fuse board - On the Yeti, it was a simple task to take off the A-Pillar trim and run the feed invisibly to the fuse board.

I have looked today to do the same on the A6 and struggling - have seen a lot of the other threads on here but thought I had seen one that hardwired to a 12v supply in the interior light - anyone seen that and find it again?

If I do go the A-Pillar route, any tips for removing the screw from the trim without it dropping and rattling for the next three years?

TIA,

Steve

0 0 0

2. Re: Hardwide Dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Buy something like this....
    12v Female Car Cigar Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector High Quality 2M 5A | eBay

Just remember to put a 5A fuse on the positive side.

Simply plug your dash cam into it once you've connected it to a power supply.
    Mine is connected to a switched supply which happened to be blank. Positive side is a blade fuse chopped away to leave simply the blade and that's securely connected to the above linked socket. The negative side I put a ring connector on the end then split it open to use the bolt holding the dashboard in place - it's a big bolt and the ring wasn't big enough without splitting it.

As for running the cable, mine is tucked into the headling and into the A pillar without removing it. There is one short section of visible cable at the bottom of the A pillar because I couldn't open up a gap between the dash and the trim. But it's very subtle and the cable is hardly noticeable.
    Last edited by darich; 25-03-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added info
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 0 0

3. Re: Hardwide Dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darich View Post
    Buy something like this....
    12v Female Car Cigar Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Connector High Quality 2M 5A | eBay

Just remember to put a 5A fuse on the positive side.

Simply plug your dash cam into it once you've connected it to a power supply.
    Mine is connected to a switched supply which happened to be blank. Positive side is a blade fuse chopped away to leave simply the blade and that's securely connected to the above linked socket. The negative side I put a ring connector on the end then split it open to use the bolt holding the dashboard in place - it's a big bolt and the ring wasn't big enough without splitting it.

As for running the cable, mine is tucked into the headling and into the A pillar without removing it. There is one short section of visible cable at the bottom of the A pillar because I couldn't open up a gap between the dash and the trim. But it's very subtle and the cable is hardly noticeable.
    Thanks, already have the 12v socket and piggy back fuse (the cam was in my previous car) - its more the routing and possible use of the dome light wiring I was looking for.

0 0 0

4. Re: Hardwide Dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    The thing to be careful if you are routing cable around the a pillar is the airbag. Anything in the way of it deploying could have catastrophic consequences and it’s also pretty expensive if you break the airbag.

0 0 0

5. Re: Hardwide Dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    The thing to be careful if you are routing cable around the a pillar is the airbag. Anything in the way of it deploying could have catastrophic consequences and it’s also pretty expensive if you break the airbag.
    Hence why hoping to go to the dome light :-)

0 0 0

6. Re: Hardwide Dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo1971 View Post
    Depending on the charger you might blow a fuse with the dome light.

0 0 0

7. Re: Hardwide Dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo1971 View Post
    You can route the power cable under the air bag, have a look at this thread. I tried to do it initially and abandoned the idea, but re-visted last week and have now run the cable under the airbag, it is easy to do, but needs some effort pulling the A-pillar lining away whilst running the cable under the airbag.

Dash cam wiring - Page 2
    Audi A6 Avant 2019 Black Edition, C8, 3.0TFSI S Tronic. Tech Pack, Parking Pack, Tow Bar, Tour pack.

0 0 0

8. Re: Hardwide Dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

0 0 0

9. Re: Hardwide Dashcam 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Turns out much easier than anticipated.

My biggest fear was the screw (T25) holding the A-Pillar trim in, I didnt realise at first it was captive in the plastic trim, in so much as it wont drop down the A-Pillar, although if anyone reads this, as soon as its loose, take it out - I had to pull the trim out a little and the fastener 'popped' and the screw jumped and did drop drop down the inside of the trim. Luckily I retrieved it.

Was easier enough to get the cable behind the airbag, just pulled the trim as far as I dared at the top and pushed it through, routed under the lip of the headlining and into the area above the dome lights, just to basically secure it there behind a cable and to leave a little slack if ever I change cam or mount.

0 0 0