1. Lighter socket not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Vw Passat b6 2009 CR lighter socket not working. I have swapped the actual sockets and nothing happened. I have looked online for the fuse location but this car and CC 2009 don't even have a fuse box located passenger side door. Can someone tell me where the fuse is, all sorts of info online and it looks all contradicting. I have tried to use a multimeter to test the continuity and also checked the lighter socket plug that goes into the lighter socket for voltage. I put the multimeter to com/V~ and checked and got some numbers. I put the black and red needle on the two of the three gold metal parts that go into the lighter socket. I don't know if I did it correct :-( Rear lighter socket isn't connected, I replaced the centre console and connected wire to aux but forgot about the second wire for the lighter socket so now it's lost :-( removing centre console is a huge job due to the A/C controls and that gold cable that if it pops out is a pain to put back in, it's a job for another day that! Thanks I need help urgent!
    Last edited by DieselMonster; 25-03-2018 at 08:19 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Lighter socket not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Sound silly but did you look on driver side of dash for fuse box? I'm sure passat CC have at least one fuse box inside the car, how would you test for continuity on lighter socket if you can't even find fuse??? I don't know but putting multimeter and getting just some numbers doesn't explains a lot to me? are you sure you meter is on AC and not DC setting? remove socket from car and pull plug off, positive to wire that connects in middle of socket and negative to outside, should get 12v+ with ignition ON, engine running will be higher, if you don't have power find that fuse. Normally should be 20A on Passats.

0 0 0

3. Re: Lighter socket not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Yes I looked at the drivers side fuse box, it's the passengers side that both CR Passat and cc don't have. I did a continuity test on all fuses as I didn't know which one it was. The continuity was done on a setting that beeps when there is connection. As for looking at the voltage, that was the one that showed volt numbers but I didn't know what to make of it. I have tried what you suggested also, I first checked the cable itself by disconnecting the plug from the lighter socket and there was voltage, I can't remember how much though, I think between 7 or 12. Then I connecting it all and put positive on the middle part of the lighter socket and with the other, touched ground. There was nothing. I thought the socket may be dead but I swapped it with a working one and it still didn't work. With car lights on the lighter socket does light up. I tried the rear one after ripping out the middle arm rest section and rear light socket doesn't work. Both use same fuse I think so that may be it. I will just need to try and swap all 15-20A on drivers side one by one until it works.

0 0 0

4. Re: Lighter socket not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMonster View Post
    Yes I looked at the drivers side fuse box, it's the passengers side that both CR Passat and cc don't have. I did a continuity test on all fuses as I didn't know which one it was. The continuity was done on a setting that beeps when there is connection. As for looking at the voltage, that was the one that showed volt numbers but I didn't know what to make of it. I have tried what you suggested also, I first checked the cable itself by disconnecting the plug from the lighter socket and there was voltage, I can't remember how much though, I think between 7 or 12. Then I connecting it all and put positive on the middle part of the lighter socket and with the other, touched ground. There was nothing. I thought the socket may be dead but I swapped it with a working one and it still didn't work. With car lights on the lighter socket does light up. I tried the rear one after ripping out the middle arm rest section and rear light socket doesn't work. Both use same fuse I think so that may be it. I will just need to try and swap all 15-20A on drivers side one by one until it works.
    Lets try again with the meter set on dc not ac. The socket will light up as its connec ted to the light circuit as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Lighter socket not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Sorry my bad for early replay got wrong dc vs ac, also I see what you mean about checking continuity, you trying to find which fuse is it by checking for continuity.

Can you post pic of your multimeter so we can see on what you setting to test it, your cigarette lighter plug should have 2 wires positive and negative also there will be another wire for illumination, putting positive and negative on both wires should read 12+ but ignition needs to be ON, well at least on my car anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: Lighter socket not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is any good but have a look at this video fuse pulled at 4.00 min in to video looks like bottom row.

2013 VW CC cigarette fuse - YouTube

0 0 0

7. Re: Lighter socket not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Also from another source looks like same fuse for front and rear cigarette socket

0 0 0

8. Re: Lighter socket not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I changed the 15 and 20amp fuses for 12V socket and cigarette lighter. Both on the drivers side fuse box, both lighters work now. Thanks for the help

0 0 0

9. Re: Lighter socket not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Glad it works but 2 months just for that
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMonster View Post
    I changed the 15 and 20amp fuses for 12V socket and cigarette lighter. Both on the drivers side fuse box, both lighters work now. Thanks for the help

0 0 0