Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hope everyone is good.
    I bought some passage cc phoenix alloys and tyres off ebay for a bit of a project 2004 b5.5 130tdi highline under the impression they would fit straight on but they don't.
    They are a 235/45/17 with a offset of 41 I believe.
    Seen them on a few cars on various forums and haven't seen anyone say they needed spacers to avoid rubbing on the front inner wall on upper link arms.
    I've just ordered some 20mm hubcentric spacers so will hopefully resolve this issue.
    I have some coilovers ready to go on once I've sorted the wheels issue.
    Allard egr delete ready to go on.
    Vac pipes ready for simplification
    Hid conversion.
    Piper cross filter.
    Once the above is done I'm getting it remapped but only after I've found a downpipe.

Everywhere I've looked thus far the downpipes won't fit the awx engine apart from darksides which are rather costly.

Any one got any ideas where I can source a awx downpipe at a reasonable price?
    Also apart from the subtle mods listed above is there anything else I should consider? Don't want to go mad and 165-170bhp with the 5speed box will do for me.
    Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: B5.5 upgrades? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    What width are the alloys ?

I've 235 45 17 ET 47 , 7.5J and they do fit albeit close up front , perfecting the offsets with 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers . 20mm will cause the front to poke if ET 41 .

Pipercross a waste of £ for nothing .

Allard does away with the anti shudder valve that one day might save your engine !

Coilovers , not my idea of good suspension and - 30mm is plenty.

Cost effective Decat downpipe , you're not looking hard enough.

You can remap before downpipe .

175 , 180 bhp even is reliable , it's the torque you have to watch , more so the smaller 228mm 5 speed clutch , 265- 288 lbft is cool .

0 0 0

3. Re: B5.5 upgrades? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.
    If I remember right they are a 8j.
    I've got some 20mm spacers comin so hopefully that'll sort the wheels.
    I'm aware of the potential clutch issues with the 5 speed box if trying to push it to hard with the power.
    The pipercross isn't aimed at power increase because as I understand it intake and exhaust make little if no power gains.
    I only want to drop it about 30mm with the coilovers and they are cheap.
    How would the lack of a anti shudder endanger the engine? I've heard that you just need to dip the clutch when switching off the car or am I wrong on that?
    Could you point me in the right direction regarding the downpipe if you would be so kind?
    Thanks again.

0 0 0

4. Re: B5.5 upgrades? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Cheap coilovers , yuk .

So what is the Pipercross for ?

Decat downpipe , either do this..

Or mate this..

.. to this .

0 0 0

5. Re: B5.5 upgrades? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The pipercross is just to save me the trouble of ordering and waiting for a replacement when I get the time to service the car.
    Sometimes I've had to wait on car parts from euro car part as they sometimes come directly from Europe.
    My last two orders from them took 5 days to come.
    I've just spoken with my local garage who said they've noticed a lot of Chinese coilovers in for replacement due to corrosion.
    Mine are German made so one would presume superior quality.
    There's a fair bit of corrosion on the original springs and on the shock itself but then again it's a 14 year old car.
    I've actually had a spring snap before on a b5 sport I had about 8 years ago whilst doing about 80 on the motorway which was a bit of a undie munching moment.
    Thanks for the reply.

0 0 0

6. Re: B5.5 upgrades? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    I wouldn't understand if ECP / CP4L doesn't have oem Mann filters on the shelf and haven't experienced any issues since ordering filters from them in the last 5 years and that's servicing every 6 months .

Perhaps try GFS .

Any cheap coilover despite origin can give just 2 years short service unlike the best buy of Eibach Pro kit with Bilstein B4 dampers.

0 0 0

7. Re: B5.5 upgrades? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll see how I get on with the coilovers and will heed your advice if they do only last a couple of years.
    A lad at work who's gone balls out 2003 originally 130bhp golf has had the exact same coil overs on it with no issues for over 5 years so fingers crossed. His golf runs at just over 230bhp power but he's spent about 8 grand on it. He's just got shut of it as he's had to have the top end done twice within a year as it was stripping the timing belt.
    I'd never had a problem with euro car parts until the last 6 months or so but I rarely ordered stuff for delivery I'd pick it up as I had a depot half a mile away now they've moved about 7 miles away.
    Thanks again for your advice.

0 0 0