1. Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Finally I have cleaned my intake manifold, EGR vlave and flap of carbon deposit.

That is first cleaning at all. The car has 212882 km and in my ownership is from 170000km. I suppose the most of carbon build has been made during my ownership as the car is mostly driving in city.

I had change thermostat as well, but I did something wrog as there is leak from connection where one plastic pipe is entering into thermostat. The change of thermostat is really pain to replace.

There are some pictures:

Problematic connection of thermostat near cylinder block:

All high pressure pipes tighten up to requested NM (25)

Place where is leaking thermostat:

I will give that car tomorrow to my local workshop for checking that leak. I did not change o-ring, i am hoppingbthat thisbo-ring is cousing the leakaging and that I did not brake the housingbof thermostat....

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Audi A6 Sedan C6 2.0 TDIe 2011 Condor Grey metallic

1 0 0

2. Re: Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Good job on the clean up.

Did you replace the seals on the intake manifold and idle air valve?

hopefully you only need a new O ring.

Did you replace the gasket on the thermostat housing?
    Dan
    2009/2010 2.0 TDIe SE

0 0 0

3. Re: Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan2485 View Post
    Good job on the clean up.

Did you replace the seals on the intake manifold and idle air valve?

hopefully you only need a new O ring.

Did you replace the gasket on the thermostat housing?
    Thanks Dan,

I have bought for intake manifold seal, but original is still good and even looks better that the one I bought (Victor Reinz maker). I was searching to buy the same day for seal between air valve and EGR (there was leaking of oil) but I could not find it. I should order it at dealer before I start cleaning (my mistake). Anyhow if starts leaking again I will order it and change it.

My concern is about thermostat and where I have gone wrong. It was really difficult to take out that plastic pipe from old thermostat and really hard to insert it again into new thermostat. Why they have made such odd design?

If I have broke new thermostat then is better the other one to be fitted by mechanic.

I will see what he will told me tomorrow. I would like that only o-ring is problem. But, then, I will probably need to wait for that new o-ring to come....

Will see tomorrow.

0 0 0

4. Re: Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Any performance improvement/difference?

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

5. Re: Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy-999 View Post
    Any performance improvement/difference?
    Due to leakage of coolant from that thermostat, actually it is only drops, I did not perform any test drive. Tomorrow morning I will drive car to workshop and leave it there for fix of that leakege.

I suppose that could not be worse only better I can expect. Anyhow, my point was to prevent failure of EGR and air valve and flaps and prolong their life by cleaning them.

0 0 0

6. Re: Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Today I got an call from my mechanic and fortunatelly the leakage on thermostat was caused by o-ring from the pipe which enter into thermostat.

The oem number is 06B 121 687

I recommend to change that o-ring.

0 1 0

7. Re: Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I have just tested the car. Outside temperature is +1 C, car is getting working temperature quite fast. Driving in town it is maintaining working temperature of 90 C, but out from town if I am going downhill, and maintain speed of 50-60 km/h, rpm between 1200-1400, few minutes after start to loose temperature and going to 70 C, I am keeping heating in cabin to 22deg C all the time. As soon as I press accelerator and rpm going from 1600 to 2000 in flat road engine is reaching working temperature of 90. Also, I am alway watching on oil temperature and it is following more or less same values as coolant temperature.

Is this OK?

Can I do anything else to make engine to keep working temperature at 90 deg C at this low outside temperatures?

0 0 0

8. Re: Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I have made small experiment yesterday evening.

I took car for a ride. Going outside city to country roads to one small hill and to test temperature behavior.

Begining of the test, outside temperature of 0 deg C, inside heating adjusted at 22 deg C, car was sitting outside at least 6,5 hours from last driving:

Driving to the top of the hill and reached temperature of 90 deg C (working temperature) and oil temp of 88 deg C, in 15 min of driving and passed 13km outside temperature all the time about 0 deg C:

Start going down hill about 3km almost without pressing accelerator (no load on engine) and temperature of coolant fall down from 90 to a little more then 70 and oil dropped to 74 deg C:

I have turned the car and go back uphill and temperature immediately return to normal 90 deg and oil temperature starts to pass 90 deg C. On the top of the hill on back way it was like that:

Then, I have returned to the city and drive inside city and temperature was almost steady to 90 deg C:

The heaging inside cabin is good all the time and starts very quickly (after few minutes of start driving).

Is this normal that coolant gauge is fluctuating ? The sensor is probably OK because oil temperature is also following fluctuations.

0 0 0

9. Re: Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Temperature should remain constant once hot. You may have airlock in cooling system. There is a bleedholeon heater pipes at bulkhead. Pull back one of the hoses to expose hole. It is only on one pipe.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

10. Re: Carbon cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks @Alan02

I have passed already 100km. On begining I have added a little coolant and now it is on max all the time. I suppose that any air lock should be cleared by now. Anyhow, I will open that screw for air escape once again, but I think that these engines are like that and there is no change. I found plenty complains about this and no cure. Even, on one german site has been posted VAG circular letter explaining that working temperature can fall down up to 50 deg C if ambient temperature is below 5 deg C and according them itbis normal. My opinion is that cooling system is not designed properly for this engine and cabin heating. It is not the first time that they make something wrong in design...

0 0 0