Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that the ride height on the front left side of my 2.7Tq Avant is about 2 inches lower than the right side of the car - it was not like this a week ago when I was doing the monthly tyre pressure check. Hit a huge pot-hole with that wheel a few weeks ago, but didn't notice anything different until yesterday on a run out to the supermarket after the speed bump entering the carpark. On way home driving carefully I noticed a pinging/jingling noise now and again from that side as if there is something floating around - there is still suspension but obviously something is amiss. I am aware that the steering arms of C5s are full of small levers and bits, but the simplest fault is likely to be the spring.

If it is a broken spring, I understand that there are loads of versions and it is necessary to get the right one. The spec list for the car says that it has :

1BE = Sports suspension/shock absorption
    0YR = Weight range 16 installation control only, no requirement forecast
    0JK = Weight category front axle weight range 10

From this, I traced the following from one of those online exploded parts diagrams websites -

Coil spring PR-1BE front
    8K0411105EF coil spring 3 paint marks violet 2 PR-0JK
    Is this probably the correct part number? Any thoughts gratefully appreciated. Best wishes, Robin

0 1 0

2. Re: A6 C5 suspected broken spring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Not sure about the part number, but I broke a spring years ago on a C4 and replacing one didn’t work out, ended up selling the one OEM spring and using a pair of Eilbach for a level ride height and symmetrical feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Re: A6 C5 suspected broken spring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for coming back - as you've identified the springs issue is a potential minefield! I've found out that the weight class identifiers have been used across a whole range of cars, so although I'd identified a spring for the appropriate class, it was indeed an 8K and probably not appropriate for mine. Subsequently Crewe Audi's parts desk have told me that it is an 8D spring I need - 8D0411105FJ for the sports suspension, so I'm saving up for those and probably a pair of Bilstein shocks to refresh the front end. Could have really done with the Quattro in view of the snow, but my A2 on winter tyres seems to be pretty good.

0 1 0

4. Re: A6 C5 suspected broken spring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    If Crewe Audi have used your VIN to check the spring I would follow what they say and that particular spring has no direct equivalent to any aftermarket manufacturer I would trust. It is a 1BE/0JK with 1x brown, 2 x grey paint mark so look for that on the originals.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: A6 C5 suspected broken spring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen that many comments online now about the pitfalls of getting the wrong springs - especially if they are £40 Ebay specials - that I am fully convinced of the importance of getting the brown / grey / grey 8D springs (if it does indeed turn out to be the spring that has broken and not a bolt dropping out of one of those links in the multitude of little metal levers and bars you see in the Meyle HD control arm set photographs.). The car is on 116,000 miles and was beginning to feel a bit vague in the steering, so I suspect springs & shocks are the first things I need in probably a complete steering arm refresh.

0 1 0