Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

New arrival to the family forces the sale of my beloved S4 Avant. Anyways I've got my head set on a BiTdi Allroad with about 25k to spend. My issue is I can see lots of tricked out 272 Sport 2015 models with all the toys, but the only BiTdi's I can see have naff seats, halogen headlights and no folding mirrors. How rubbish are the standard seats in the Allroad, I've sat briefly in one and they didn't feel all that supportive or adjustable. I know the facelift model came in a Sport model which is better kitted out as standard, prior to that it was an endless choice of options to be ticked when configuring the car which I assume would result in a massively priced motor.
    So my dilemma is this, do I just buy a well spec'd 272 or hang fire for an older BiTdi to magically appear with better lights, seats and folding mirrors.....

Anyone on here selling one per chance......??

0 0 0

2. Re: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I have a 272 saloon and it’s plenty fast most days. Driven a few bitdi and it’s quicker but the premium over the 272 in my eyes wasn’t quite worth it. I spent the extra money on a good spec 272 rather than a base bitdi.
    You are only needing that extra grunt maybe 5% of the time. With the traffic and cameras about those occasions are very rare these days.

0 0 0

3. Re: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    I have a 272 saloon and it’s plenty fast most days. Driven a few bitdi and it’s quicker but the premium over the 272 in my eyes wasn’t quite worth it. I spent the extra money on a good spec 272 rather than a base bitdi.
    You are only needing that extra grunt maybe 5% of the time. With the traffic and cameras about those occasions are very rare these days.
    Agree completely. Couldn't see the value in an extra £6k for the BiTDi. The 272 is plenty quick enough and a fair bit cheaper on insurance too. The only downside to the 272 is it does have turbo-lag which I believe the BiTDi doesn't.
    2017 model A6 Avant Black Edition 3.0Tdi (272) Quattro, Sepang Blue Exclusive Paint, Tech Pack, Matrix LEDs, Ambient Lighting, 20" 5 Twin Spoke Wheels, S Line Suspension, Audi Smartphone Interface, Debadged

0 0 0

4. Re: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    The economy takes quite a bit too for not much real gain.

Toyed with the idea of a BiTdi myself but it didn’t really stack up in the real world where it would cost me more and not get used to potential on most days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VW Passat GT 4 Motion 2.0 BiTdi, '16MY in Midnight Blue, keyless entry, memory seats, active info display and Discover Nav Pro
    Audi A7 20MY Vorsprung 3.0tdi in Daytona grey, with optional rear cup holders! (Previously A7 16my S Line)

0 0 0

5. Re: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saulmac View Post
    Hi Guys,

New arrival to the family forces the sale of my beloved S4 Avant. Anyways I've got my head set on a BiTdi Allroad with about 25k to spend. My issue is I can see lots of tricked out 272 Sport 2015 models with all the toys, but the only BiTdi's I can see have naff seats, halogen headlights and no folding mirrors. How rubbish are the standard seats in the Allroad, I've sat briefly in one and they didn't feel all that supportive or adjustable. I know the facelift model came in a Sport model which is better kitted out as standard, prior to that it was an endless choice of options to be ticked when configuring the car which I assume would result in a massively priced motor.
    So my dilemma is this, do I just buy a well spec'd 272 or hang fire for an older BiTdi to magically appear with better lights, seats and folding mirrors.....

Anyone on here selling one per chance......??

Well spec'd 272 all day. You'll appreciate the extra goodies more often than the extra performance.

0 0 0

6. Re: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendaimwari View Post
    Well spec'd 272 all day. You'll appreciate the extra goodies more often than the extra performance.
    In terms of goodies, what should I be on the look out for.......should I go down the 272 route. I think the 2015 Allroad "Sport" came with Sports Seats, Folding Mirrors, HID/LED Lights and 19" Alloys. What the differences in the technology packs? Am I right in saying you get a bigger center dash display?

0 0 0

7. Re: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    On FL A6 tech pack gives HDD Nav with online data 10G music storage 2 SD slots for music, SIM card slot also, larger main screen DVD player,single disc, Nav screen also between speedo & rev counter, useful as you can then retract main screen, phone box, supposed to give better signal as uses GPS aerial and think on mine the pack included folding, heated mirrors. From reading other threads regarding the SD card based Nav the tech pack is a Must.
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

8. Re: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I had a A6 (not allroad) bitdi for 5 years. Also drove the 245 and 272 versions of the 3.0v6 tdi on testdrives/courtesy cars. Allroad seats may be different but i found Sline seats very supportive, the standard SE seats sucked imho.

Real performance wise the 272 is barely slower than the bitdi. Where i did notice was less torque, the bitdi has full torque from 1400 rpm, you really never need to go over 2000rpm in normal driving. The 272 felt it was working harder/revving more to get the performance, but alot faster better than the 245.

The bigger difference is the gearbox. 70mph in the 8 speed bitdi is just under 1400rpm. 70mph in the 7 speed dsg 272 was more like 1800rpm as i remember (someone no doubt will correct me). The 8 speed is alot smoother through the gears than the , but the dsg is more fun for the 10 seconds a month you might try.
    I suspect this gearing explains the bi-tdis astonishingly good real world mpg. ( i dont know what the 272 is rated at) I almost always got 40mpg+ on a motorway run and i dont hang about. 50mpg on a slow traffic run.

All that said, if i was buying used i would still be super happy with a high spec 272 loaded with toys i could use all the time over a boggo spec bitdi loaded with torque i cant always use but stuck looking at a small satnav screen from bad seats.....

Suggest set yourself say a 3month limit of searching/hoping for a well specced bitdi. The A6 is not that much bigger than an A4 in real terms so i wouldnt rush too much.
    Good luck!
    S6 Black Avant: Tech advanced, Matrix, Keyless entry, Sunroof, Speed limit display, Tow bar, Rear camera
    Golf GTI (for the Mrs) BMW M140i (for work and fun )

0 0 0

9. Re: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyg View Post
    I had a A6 (not allroad) bitdi for 5 years. Also drove the 245 and 272 versions of the 3.0v6 tdi on testdrives/courtesy cars. Allroad seats may be different but i found Sline seats very supportive, the standard SE seats sucked imho.

Real performance wise the 272 is barely slower than the bitdi. Where i did notice was less torque, the bitdi has full torque from 1400 rpm, you really never need to go over 2000rpm in normal driving. The 272 felt it was working harder/revving more to get the performance, but alot faster better than the 245.

The bigger difference is the gearbox. 70mph in the 8 speed bitdi is just under 1400rpm. 70mph in the 7 speed dsg 272 was more like 1800rpm as i remember (someone no doubt will correct me). The 8 speed is alot smoother through the gears than the , but the dsg is more fun for the 10 seconds a month you might try.
    I suspect this gearing explains the bi-tdis astonishingly good real world mpg. ( i dont know what the 272 is rated at) I almost always got 40mpg+ on a motorway run and i dont hang about. 50mpg on a slow traffic run.

All that said, if i was buying used i would still be super happy with a high spec 272 loaded with toys i could use all the time over a boggo spec bitdi loaded with torque i cant always use but stuck looking at a small satnav screen from bad seats.....

Suggest set yourself say a 3month limit of searching/hoping for a well specced bitdi. The A6 is not that much bigger than an A4 in real terms so i wouldnt rush too much.
    Good luck!
    I'm going to seriously miss the S4, but I do a fair amount of "soft roading" down dirt tracks and across fields and the poor old S4 just sits too low. S4 has been mapped, so I'm going to miss the torque, hence the reason I was keen on the BiTdi. I tried the A4 Allroad but it was dull, really dull. As you say 3months is a sensible time frame to find a BiTdi, failing that then the classifieds have a fair selection of 272's as a fall back.

0 0 0

10. Re: Searching for a BiTdi Allroad.........or do I just buy a 272? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    You won't miss the torque. I changed from a mapped S4, v8, and thought I'd miss the extra grunt but alas not. The A6, 3.0l, is a completely different driver. More smoother around the edges.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast