Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas_v View Post
    I suppose that makes sense. I am as darich described and I am interested in A6
    Why buy 3.0TDI? For me its quattro that I want, I wouldnt care if it would be 2.0TDI.
    So is 3.0TDI that good?
    Car did 110 000 km (68 750 miles) from the pics it seems owner did follow the schedule. S tronic oil was changed at 60000, now it near 120 000 so I suppose I could ask them to do next service or lower the price by the cost of oil change.
    Also found 2.8FSI quattro, similar price, but orange leather inside, that puts me off. How does it compare to 3.0tdi?

Thank for reassurance.
    Why buy 3.0tdi? I asked the same question here a few months back when I was looking. Yes the 2.0 gets better economy but I was told with the car being fairly big the engine is often working that little bit harder and therefore sounds a bit noisier.
    If you can afford te 3.0 v6 then it's a much better option. It's silky smooth with the S-tronic and has bags of power and torque. Mine is the 245bhp model. you can pick up a manual box but they're few and far between....and less sought after so trade in value would be likely to suffer. My earlier comment on the gearbox service was related to the auto transmission. I'm pretty sure the manual box doesn't get serviced.

This is my first auto and I wondered how it would cope with the the snow. Well it did....extremely well. I had a FWD Q2 courtesy car which I couldn't drive up my street in the snow. Got my own car back and it was effortless without even a wheel spin. And that's non-winter tyres......standard Bridgestones.

I've had my 3.0tdi since June 2017. Almost 7,500 miles. Apart from a couple of issues caused by the selling dealer, I've had no problems with the car. My average mpg over that distance is 38.6, measured by an app on my phone from every fill up, not the on board computer.
    3.0 v6 with 245bhp and almost 39mpg.....you just can't argue with that!
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 1 0

2. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    The 3.0l is a v6, it's so smooth and purrs along :-) the 2.0l diesel sounds like all the other bag-o-nails diesels that I've had in the past, no comparison! Oh and boy is it quick, not as quick as the BiTDI for sure, but quick enough for me!
    Audi A6 Avant 2019 Black Edition, C8, 3.0TFSI S Tronic. Tech Pack, Parking Pack, Tow Bar, Tour pack.

0 0 0

3. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Had mine just over 2 years now and covered just shy of 30,000 miles.

Coming from a 2.0TDI A3 running just over 200bhp there was no way I was going to entertain a 2.0 engine in a car the size of the A6! Quicker to get out and walk......

Aside from it's thirst for tyres and diesel it's just a superb car. Mine is mapped to approx 300bhp and this makes it much more entertaining to drive when you want to. The gearbox is super smooth apart from in town when it gets confused as you slow down to a junction and instead of holding 3rd will drop into 2nd. Otherwise it's super smooth as you go up and down the box.

The only mechanical issue I've had with mine is a failed injector last month. Possibly a combination of being mapped and the fact it's done just over 100,000 miles. Otherwise it's been the usual case of servicing, replacing brake pads and discs all around and visiting the petrol station perhaps a little more often than I would like.

In short it's just an effortless drive

0 0 0

4. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I have to agree with the above posts. I'm in my 50s and I've never seen a boy racer in an A6. I went for a 3.0 because I was so impressed with the smoothness of the engine during test drive. Have to agree with gav28uk above. Even when stone cold it's so much quieter than the 2.0 I had before. Mine spends most of it's time on the motorway and it just purrs along. I think it's pretty well impossible to thrash the engine and not lose your licence instantly. It's a really quick car (although the BiTDi and S6 are obviously even quicker). I live near the M1 and quite enjoy the sprint down the sliproad joining the motorway. Half throttle and it's over a 100mph while you are still on the slip. I've had mine almost 15 months and have covered 19k miles. Absolutely love it. It's not much worse on fuel than my previous 2.0 either. I'm averaging 45 mpg on mine (fill to fill, not the computer)
    2017 model A6 Avant Black Edition 3.0Tdi (272) Quattro, Sepang Blue Exclusive Paint, Tech Pack, Matrix LEDs, Ambient Lighting, 20" 5 Twin Spoke Wheels, S Line Suspension, Audi Smartphone Interface, Debadged

0 1 0

5. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just as an aside my 2012 3.0 Quatrro s-line with 70k was valued at £16,400 as a write off.

Michael.

0 0 0

6. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    So I test drove 3.0tdi quattro today. Nice car, nice color, nice wheels. And seller is pretty good he planned rout pretty good. Some highway driving (to feel the engine) and some steep hills with snow to show off quattro, that is impressive. Not sure my fwd a4 could even make it up those hills, and here... not even a wheel spin. So I liked the car a lot. But the car is almost just standard equipment. Manual boot, no dab, not digital AC (2 zones), similar to my current A4 equipment wise.
    But.. I am going to try a 2015 FL (the one with Led eyebrow headlights, not the 2016 FL) model tomorrow. That has 190hp 2.0tdi (no quattro) so its just 14hp less, but its facelift. And its 3 years younger (though 15 000km more on the clock), but wheels arent as nice
    What would you do in my place? Go for newer car or for slightly more power and quattro? I am more inclined towards quattro, but is not that I live in a cabin on the mountain, not sure its worth it.
    They both cost the same.

0 0 0

7. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I'd be looking for Tech pack as a minimum. I thought they all came with DAB too.
    As for the AC.....I also thought that all the pre facelift were 2 zone only....could be wrong.
    Manual boot.....again....I thought they all had manual boot in pre facelift.
    I have neither the 4 zone climate control, nor the power boot although it does open with the fob but it's not motorised......just spring loaded.

As for not really needing quattro.....in general I don't either. But I'd rather have it all year and not really need it so that when we get a week of bad weather, I'm passing everyone else who's stuck. And I don't need to spend a night sleeping in the car on the motorway or in the office.

As a general rule, my priorities would be newer car, then lower miles.....and just try to balance the two against each other.
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 0 0

8. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darich View Post
    I'd be looking for Tech pack as a minimum. I thought they all came with DAB too.
    As for the AC.....I also thought that all the pre facelift were 2 zone only....could be wrong.
    Manual boot.....again....I thought they all had manual boot in pre facelift.
    I have neither the 4 zone climate control, nor the power boot although it does open with the fob but it's not motorised......just spring loaded.

As for not really needing quattro.....in general I don't either. But I'd rather have it all year and not really need it so that when we get a week of bad weather, I'm passing everyone else who's stuck. And I don't need to spend a night sleeping in the car on the motorway or in the office.
    Well in Norway there plenty of cars from 2012 with 4 zone AC and motorized boot. I think all S-line have both 4 zone AC and power boot.

Quote Originally Posted by darich View Post
    As a general rule, my priorities would be newer car, then lower miles.....and just try to balance the two against each other.
    Well in my case newer car has higher mileage

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12