Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Going for a test drive/check out of A6 C7 3.0 TDI Quattro (avant) 2012 on Sunday.
    Car is at re-seller, so it wont be original owner that I will talk to.
    What bothers me is that I wont be able to see or talk to the owner. And cause its a bit more powerful engine I am afraid it might have been pushed to the limit.
    And it scares me that if previously car was driven by racer boy the engines lifespan would be much shorter. And I heard changing chain on this engine is very expensive.
    Thus my question - whos is a typical driver of A6 C7 with 3.0tdi?
    Are there any ways to check camchains condition?
    Are there problems with this engine, cause I didnt find much about it.

0 0 0

2. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas_v View Post
    Going for a test drive/check out of A6 C7 3.0 TDI Quattro (avant) 2012 on Sunday.
    Car is at re-seller, so it wont be original owner that I will talk to.
    What bothers me is that I wont be able to see or talk to the owner. And cause its a bit more powerful engine I am afraid it might have been pushed to the limit.
    And it scares me that if previously car was driven by racer boy the engines lifespan would be much shorter. And I heard changing chain on this engine is very expensive.
    Thus my question - whos is a typical driver of A6 C7 with 3.0tdi?
    Are there any ways to check camchains condition?
    Are there problems with this engine, cause I didnt find much about it.
    Have to be some kind of hooligan to stretch a 3.0tdi to the limit all the time. If it’s got reasonable miles and a full service history I wouldn’t worry too much. The hoodies will be driving Golfs and A3’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    As above....buyers of A6 cars aren't hooligans who thrash their cars.
    Without stereotyping, I'd imagine the typical A6 driver would be at least 30, maybe even 40. Decent job and intelligence (and therefore sense) because it's a reasonably expensive car

Check for history......normally annually but I think long life might be 20k miles. And make sure gearbox has been serviced every 38k

I have a 3.0Tdi Quattro saloon 2014 and love it.
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 1 0

4. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I suppose that makes sense. I am as darich described and I am interested in A6
    Why buy 3.0TDI? For me its quattro that I want, I wouldnt care if it would be 2.0TDI.
    So is 3.0TDI that good?
    Car did 110 000 km (68 750 miles) from the pics it seems owner did follow the schedule. S tronic oil was changed at 60000, now it near 120 000 so I suppose I could ask them to do next service or lower the price by the cost of oil change.
    Also found 2.8FSI quattro, similar price, but orange leather inside, that puts me off. How does it compare to 3.0tdi?

Thank for reassurance.

0 0 0

5. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I have just had to change my 2012 3.0 Quattroa Avant S-line (write of - pleased I was in an Audi!). Mine had done 70k, but felt just like new and the body/joints/bushes were still tight with very little difference comapred to driving from new. In my opinion, the engine did not even loosen up till 15k. When you have a car, you tend to see others driving the same car and I never really saw A6 3.0 being thrashed,. It was more likely to be the smaller engined cars that were being pushed hard. As another poster said, you really have to work hard to thrash a 3.0 and a diesel block can take it if you do. I would say a typical driver appreciates the quality o the car, doesn't feel they have to prove anything and probably does a lot of cruising on a motorway. And is 30+ tending to 50/60.

Hope it helps

Michael.

P.S. Bought another 3.0 Quattro Avant........

0 1 0

6. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Like what everyone said it’s more likely older people that buy these cars as they are expensive to buy and insure but that’s not to say old people don’t drive like boy racers.
    Thing is like me most would give it some now and again. There are days I drive mine like I stole it 😄 but these are rare as I enjoy the refinement and when I need it the power and speed is there too.
    Every car out there has been thrashed now and again, as long it’s been properly serviced they should be good for 2-300k before issues start arising.

0 0 0

7. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I drive an A6 C7 3.0 TDI (no Quattro) and whilst I do drive reasonably quickly I don't often push it to its limit. Most of these will have been up and down the motorway for a lot of their lives and it's pretty much impossible to regularly push an A6 anywhere near the limit on UK motorways.

The reason I went for the 3.0 is simple - I wanted a smooth V6 engine and not the rough around the edges 4 cylinder 2.0 TDi engine.

0 1 0

8. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Let me add my £0.02 as well....

As others have said, these engine will not have been pushed anywhere near their limits in the UK.

As I live in Germany nowadays, its normal here to push your cars to its top speed pretty much every day on the unrestricted sections of the Autobahn. Even by doing that everyday, its not even near the limit of these engines. Theybare built for it!

Its normal life, I do it. Wife does it and so does the neighbour and their cat!

Theres a reason why people, not only here, but around the world, always say that ”German” cars (I mean cars driven reguarly in Germany) are not only faster than their counterparts in other countries, they also seem to be better on fuelconsumption that in other countries.

If the break....well, thats what warranty is for and I can not for the life of me remember an Audi stranded on the road, broken down. If you ask me about BMW’s, thats a different story. Actually see them quite often.....I have been one of them!

I wouldn’t worry!
    2017 Audi S6 Avant
    2016 Volvo XC60 T5 R-Design (wife's)
    1987 Volvo 780 Bertone (my classic!)

0 1 0

9. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    As everuone else said, if it has full service history you shouldn't be worried. 68k is nothing for this car. Also as I drive one as my daily, I can assure you will love it.

Also it's not boys car. It's men's car.
    2017 SQ5 Prestige | Navarra Blue Metallic

0 1 0

10. Re: Going for a test drive 3.0TDI. Who drives such cars? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Hard to thrash an automatic too much and others have said, the owners of these cars tend to be more mature, family types. On my A6 the red line was lower in the rev range when cold as well - not sure if it is the same for the s tronic. Can't comment on the 2.8 petrol as I don't think UK got it. We got some of the 3.0 tsi but they stopped about 2012. I haven't heard any issues on cam chain tension with these cars - much more common on the early C6 models.
    One of my friends in Stavanger had a 2.7 tdi A6 C6 avant and was very happy with it. He got it because they had just had their first baby.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast