Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi!

I have a 58 plate Passat, 2.0 tdi CR engine, CBAB.

I broke down on Tuesday, the engine simply cut out quietly as if it ran out of fuel and then would not restart afterwards, got recovered by the AA and he said that he thinks it is the fuel pump and that I should buy a new one and plug it in to make sure.

I bought the fuel pump today and plugged it in and it also didn't move when i turned on the ignition. I have been looking online to try and trace down the fuse and relay for it and can't find anything anywhere. I do not have any warning lights on the dashboard.

Any help or suggestions would be great and I'll provide info if anyone needs more, thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Fuel pump issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    On this engine the fuel pump does not run until the engine is either cranking or running.

Also there are two electric pumps, one in the tank & one on the top left of the engine as you would view it with the bonnet open.
    Trace the fuel pipe from the filter towards the engine & you will find it hiding under a black metal bracket.
    You can feel it vibrate when it runs.
    Hope this helps.

0 0 0

3. Re: Fuel pump issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipharmes View Post
    On this engine the fuel pump does not run until the engine is either cranking or running.

Also there are two electric pumps, one in the tank & one on the top left of the engine as you would view it with the bonnet open.
    Trace the fuel pipe from the filter towards the engine & you will find it hiding under a black metal bracket.
    You can feel it vibrate when it runs.
    Hope this helps.
    That's very useful to know actually, surprised the AA guy didn't know that.
    Anyhow, a family friend brought a diagnostic laptop round and it wasn't displaying any codes other than ones I knew about such as low A/C gas pressure and he just cleared the coded and then we ran the fuel pump using the laptop and it ran fine so that ruled the pump out. Once we'd finished he noticed the battery was at around 11v so he took it and charged it over night, we tried it again today and the engine turned over and sounded like it was trying to take on 3 cylinders and then on the second attempt it came in to life and it's running fine now. Unsure of what caused the issue but I'll wait and see if the problem occurs again.

Thanks!

0 0 0

4. Re: Fuel pump issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    When these pumps go wrong they usually go intermittent.
    Give them a tap & they often re-start as a get you home.

0 0 0

5. Re: Fuel pump issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Ok so I was just having another look today, can anyone tell me what this is?

It had come unclipped from the engine and was dangling upside down and when i put it the correct way up I heard a venting sound like air being released or something.

0 0 0

6. Re: Fuel pump issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    It's a vacuum solenoid valve. If it vented air then that suggests a leak in the vacuum system around that area or the pipes below were twisted and not drawing vacuum.
    Last edited by DMitch16; 27-02-2018 at 01:06 AM.

0 0 0