1. A6 V6 Quattro vs. S6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly - if this thread already exists please direct me to it, haven't found one yet and don't want to duplicate threads.

As the title suggests, I'm interested in understanding the difference between something like an A6 V6 Quattro diesel S line and an S6.

The obvious thing is the fuel type and cylinder number, resulting in a difference in 0-60 (a higher performance V6 isn't far off the V8). Then there are the S seats (but those are optional and have come across a few A6's with S seats). The other obvious one is the air suspension on the S6.

The less obvious one is the Quattro setup - is the running gear (minus the engine) the same between them?

Does the suspension make much of a difference?

Is there anything else that differs? (the interior is slightly different in terms of colour and finish, but that's not going be a deciding factor).

The conundrum is, the A6 Quattro with a higher performance engine will be quick throughout the speedo and offer enhanced grip with the Quattro system. The exhaust sounds good too. The price is more friendly (looking at used) and the fuel costs, insurance group etc. are lower.

Trying to find out what the true differences are that set them apart, if anyone has that type of info.

Thanks!

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 V6 Quattro vs. S6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I'd imagine the S6 has a LSD, or an uprated one compared to the Tdi. All depends on how important overall performance is to you.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 V6 Quattro vs. S6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    There is this thread:
    3.0 BiTDi to S6 - is this an upgrade?

In it, I highlighted that the difference between the S6 and the biturbo is immense, but you won't find it in the quattro setup (although the S6 has a torque-vectoring rear differential, which is nice), or the specification, or the trim levels, or the timed performance figures. The difference is in the way the engine delivers its performance. If you want the joy of driving a screaming V8 then it has to be the S6, if that isn't so important then the biturbo would be the car of choice, IMO.

0 1 0

4. Re: A6 V6 Quattro vs. S6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Having had a 2014 BiTdi before getting my 2017 S6, all I can say is that the difference between them is HUGE!

Performance aside (the BiTdi is quick but no patch on the S6), the air suspension difference between them is that the S6 is somewhat harder and IMO has much better handling. My BiTdi had air btw.

Re the quattro system, we have had plenty of snow in Germany but never been a problem in either. The S6 is as easy to drive in snow as the BiTdi, as longs as winter tyres are fitted.

Fuel consumption is a good one. My BiTdi had an avg at 37mpg, best at 50mpg, worst at 24mpg. The S6 features a cylinder shutoff mode so avg around 30. Best at 34mpg, worst....well, no comment! Not really much between them in real life TBH.
    2017 Audi S6 Avant
    2016 Volvo XC60 T5 R-Design (wife's)
    1987 Volvo 780 Bertone (my classic!)

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 V6 Quattro vs. S6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Similar response from me too.
    I had a Bitdi Sline for 5 years. Loved it. Now i have the S6 black which i also love. If i was buying again i would choose the S again, but if the S was a v6 not a v8 i wouldnt.
    In answer to your questions: The drivetrain can be quite different. Bitdis has 8 speed ZF box, the V6 diesels have a 7speed DSG. S has 7 speed DSG. 8 speed was smoother/easier to use esp i traffic/parking but the DSG is impressively fast changing. Personally i preferred the 8 speed for being abit smoother. S comes with sport diff as standard. Others dont.

S comes with air susp as standard, i had it before on the Bitdi and was impressed. My bi tdi was on 18" wheels my S is on 20s. ride is noticeable firmer and risk on potholes but they do look nice..... I always found the Sline abit soft even in dynamic. The ride in the S is great. I dont know how much of the difference is wheels vs suspension in my case.

Performance, Honestly i miss the low down torque shove of the diesel, but i love the higher reviing fun of the V8 when i open it up. However that is rare and the low down torque was all the time. The S is faster but in real world not alot.

Fuel: I average 39.5 mpg over 5 years in the bitdi. Best 51-52 on long motorway runs with traffic. It was terrible in town, but i dont drive in town.
    The S V8 have averaged 25mpg in 3000muiles so far. If i cma careful on a long run i can get 31mpg but its still running it.

Sound
    The bitdi always sounded great albeit fake. The S is ALOT quieter in every way, if anythig abit too quite when yo boot it, no sport exhaust option in UK. Very smooth limmo like cruiser, the burble makes me smile and its real V8 not fake.

S seats are deffo harder than Sline, slightly less comfortable after a couple of hours but still great. Much nicer looking.

If you are doing alot of miles or claiming miles from work i would go diesel. I make a decent loss at 45p a mile on expenses. I have to fill up every 350 or so miles now, i used to normally get over 600.

Both are great cars.
    S6 Black Avant: Tech advanced, Matrix, Keyless entry, Sunroof, Speed limit display, Tow bar, Rear camera
    Golf GTI (for the Mrs) BMW M140i (for work and fun )

0 1 0

6. Re: A6 V6 Quattro vs. S6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    These responses are really helpful, thank you for sharing experiences and explaining the differences, it's given me a lot to think about. At the moment I drive a '13 A6 S line 2.0tdi which is a great car, the comfort and ease of driving had taken precedence for a while, the mpg's were in the high 40's / low 50's on the daily commute, even did a trip to the alps and back in the summer and only had to fuel up 3 or 4 times.

What I'm finding now is the power (for me) is lacking (and lagging due to single turbo), as I do like to drive sportively here and there (mostly sensible day to day) and with the colder, wetter weather, there could be better grip. That's how the Quattro BiTdi came into the picture, it wouldn't be an overly expensive upgrade and on paper offers similar figures to an S6, the S6 being a more considerable price upgrade (and higher road tax, insurance, fuel cost etc.).

My local dealer had a BiTdi in (though in an A7 - close enough) so went for a test drive over the weekend. It sounded nice and sporty, putting a bit of a smile on my face. It definitely picked up better with having the smaller turbo kick in at lower rpm, there is a bit of lag but far less when compared to the single turbo 2.0tdi. The Quattro system made cornering more solid and there weren't any traction issues pulling away. The BiTdi has proven itself worth the upgrade.

This is where it gets tricky (and where your responses are helping). The S6 while similar on paper, is definitely a different beast. I test drove one about 6 months ago and only had my 2.0tdi to compare it to, so there was a big contrast (I only expected a difference in power, however the handling and driving were also much better). My previous car was a rear wheel drive V8 and the S6 felt similar - like it was pushing you along rather than the front wheels pulling you along (the BiTdi was interesting as it felt in between, though slightly more front biased. Likely this is difference the sports diff makes, the standard quattro feels to be passive and engage only as needed). It also felt like it wanted to go into the corners... the 2.0 wants to understeer (naturally), the BiTdi felt like it wanted to keep you fixed nicely in the same lane, the S6 felt like it wanted to hit the apex. Didn't think the three of them would be so different to drive but it turns out they each have their own character.

Previous job allowed mileage claim back but having changed jobs, this is no longer the case but the commute is much shorter and average mpg on the 2.0 is now 35-37. When test driving the BiTdi around town the mpg was high 20's so wouldn't be too far from current mpg's and the S6 would likely prove similar to the BiTdi. Day to day mileage tends to be low, the only long range would be on road trips which are rare - likely once or twice a year, though they are long trips (Alps type thing).

Leaning more towards the S6 after the info in the forum and the test drive, of course there is a noticeable purchase price difference which adds to the complexity.

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 V6 Quattro vs. S6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Go for the S6 if you can. I do 20k a year and i dont find it particular expensve to run. In fact, its a lot more economical than I expected. Saying that most of my journeys are long omes, at steady pace etc.

Putting the foot down certainly puts a smile on my face....in fact so much that the other day, while driving my daughter to her friend and putting the pedal to the metal, said, without thinking, that its like an orgasm......her face said it all!

In all seriousness, love the S6 and dont regret getting it at all. Its a very different beast to the BiTdi! In fact, was fighting with an AMG E63 the other day....he didnt win, nor loose! We were equal!
    2017 Audi S6 Avant
    2016 Volvo XC60 T5 R-Design (wife's)
    1987 Volvo 780 Bertone (my classic!)

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 V6 Quattro vs. S6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I have never noticed my S6 is any more rear driven than the A6 was. they both feel similar for that. Quattro is great! Never really noticed the sport diff so far.
    S6 certainly turns in and grips better. I dont know how much is suspension vs tryes though. That would explain between the three you mention. I expect the S6 might be lighter engined/box than the bitdi but i don't know.

Re lag, all these cars have substantial turbos and noticeable lag. I dont worry about it, drive to allow for it.

If you think the S6 will get similar economy to the bitdi in town or anywhere you are in a dream world
    If you "press on" in the S6 it gets low teens at best. Same on short journeys, if i run 3 miles to the shops (in local quiet town) i get about 17-18mpg.
    If you can afford a car in that range the extra fuel cost shouldnt matter? I reckoned for my mileage i would spend an extra £600-900 a year in fuel. The anoyance is the much smaller range so you are filling up more often (1st world problems). Obviously effect on the environment is down to your own conscience/morals.... I dont drive it alot and i cycle to the station (even today in the snow) for work so feel abit less bad about it.
    Apologies if fast/garbled typing.
    S6 Black Avant: Tech advanced, Matrix, Keyless entry, Sunroof, Speed limit display, Tow bar, Rear camera
    Golf GTI (for the Mrs) BMW M140i (for work and fun )

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 V6 Quattro vs. S6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyg View Post
    I have never noticed my S6 is any more rear driven than the A6 was. they both feel similar for that. Quattro is great! Never really noticed the sport diff so far.
    S6 certainly turns in and grips better.
    I was very much like you about the sport diff for a long time but now I do notice it - occasionally.
    You only notice the sports diff after you have turned into the corner and are at the apex. If you hit the throttle at the apex, the sport diff drives the car out of the corner with a mild sense of oversteer - although in reality it is neutralising the natural understeer. You really have to throw it in, though, to feel it so that means I only get the benefit of a sport diff once in a while - mostly the roads are too crowded to be able to drive with that much gusto.
    You can definitely feel a tightening of the rear axle as the clutches do their work, it's quite a pronounced "switch" at the point of engagement, and the car feels more planted for it.

0 1 0