1. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Does the c7 have flaps that open and close around the radiators or grills?i never looked.
    I know some Fords and other brands have them in their more efficient type cars and it’s meant to help them warm up.

Ps. The old 1.9tdi were brilliant. Had a pd130 with over 180k and all it had was a clutch, boost pipe and usual service items.

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    If the cardboard on the radiator fixes the problem then one must assume that there is hot water flowing through the radiator. If that is the case then the thermostat is at fault since the thermostat should stop the flow of water through the radiator until it reaches about 88C.

Is the thermostat electrical or mechanical.
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The good ole cardboard trick. Can't beat basic engineering They still do that in NASCAR, they vary the amount of duct tape to help adjust for temp.
    Before my '13 A6 I had a big American v8 and it struggled to get warm in the winter. Changed the thermostat and it was nice and toasty. However that car was much simpler to work on.
    My first thought as a result was that the a6 had a faulty thermostat, of which it sounds like there are two. I wouldn't even know where to start looking on the engine.
    There will always be some bypass of coolant as the thermostat doesnt create a complete seal, but it shouldn't be enough to cool the engine from operating temp, or prevent it from reaching operating temp. Thermostats are gradual, so they will start to open at around somewhere around 70 and as they open more, allow for an increased flow. This should also prevent the car from not being able to heat up, as if the small amount of coolant passing through is being cooled in freezing temps, it should keep the stat mostly closed and allow for optimal operating temp.
    I think the only way to solve it is to get members on the forum with the same spec car, to go for a drive at the same (one car that appears to work fine and another with a cooling issue). Have each car follow / drive side by side, have everything set to the same, on the mmi, same heater settings, drive the same, shift the same etc. One will reach temp whilst the other will struggle. Then we'll truly know if its super efficient engines or dodgy thermostats.

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Exactly what I think , its an electric thermostat, but a new thermostat didn't fix this problem and I've heard this same story over and over again from other people trying to fix the problem by replacing the thermostat and it making no difference, that's whats making me think is it a software issue because no one seems to have an answer? My car has had 3 updates before I bought it 1st was for the power steering 2nd was for the air conditioning and 3rd was the dreaded emissions update.
    Last week in sub zero conditions the A6 C5 1.9 TDI after a long run the header tank and top hose we're both hot while it's radiator was cold but the A6 C7 the header tank was warm and the top hose was warm and also the radiator was warm which makes me think that the thermostat is always open.

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    If its is an electric thermostat then it will be fed from a temperature sensor. Check the temperature sensor as that could be faulty.
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Audi to announce recall on 2.0tdi software issue.
    I came across this interesting article, it doesn't state our symptoms but it's quite possible it's the route cause, just as I was saying software issue in the updates.

Click link

Audi recall 2018 of 1.2 million A4, A5, A6 and Q5 cars over coolant pump issue | Cars | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hello guys , i did have same situation till summer 01.05.2019 till today , I did change my thermostat and finger thermostat (1K0121113A) NOW everything is like new car. I just want to inform you this and register here.

0 1 0

8. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I Have a 2012, A6 C7 3.0TDI Quattro, Can anyone tell me where the thermostat is located and the coolant shut off valve? The cars temperature gauge is reaching the correct temperature but the heat blowing through the fans is intermittent. Sometimes hot and sometimes cold. Any ideas?

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAR View Post
    I Have a 2012, A6 C7 3.0TDI Quattro, Can anyone tell me where the thermostat is located and the coolant shut off valve? The cars temperature gauge is reaching the correct temperature but the heat blowing through the fans is intermittent. Sometimes hot and sometimes cold. Any ideas?
    I have a 2014 3.0 Q, and there is no coolant shut off valve. The coolant runs through the heater matrixes at all times, and the heat output is adjusted by motorized flaps blending hot and cold air.
    Sounds like you have a sticking flap in the climatronic. Using VCDS, you can check all the flaps and sensors.

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    I responded to another thread on this issue; eg; heating irregular/intermittent in cabin. My heating has been fine since the heating solenoid valve was changed. Audi part number is 4H0121671D... should be able to find a supplier on line.... It is located under the plastic scuttle cover I think; not sure. By the way this valve was showing as faulty in a scan/related error code... do you have an error code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A6 Black Edition - 2014 - 2.0 TDI Manual
    Daytona Grey Pearl, Full LED Headlights, Technology Pack, Advanced Key
    4 Zone Climate Control & Heated Seats, Colour DIS, Lighting Pack - LED Ambient Lighting.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast