Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi fellow owners, I hope you can help please,

I have a 2012 Audi A6 2.0 TDi multitronic with 67,000 trouble free miles on the clock. A while ago, I noticed that the engine temperature gauge seemed to be taking a long time to rise above the 50 degree mark. I ignored it for a while but then also noticed that on longer motorway journeys, when the temperature did eventually get up to 90, if I left the motorway for slower roads, or even passed through a 50 mph roadworks zone, the temp gauge would start to drop off, down to 70 or 80 degrees.

My morning commute is through town & therefore the engine rarely gets over 2000 rpm. However, on bad days, this can be up to 25 minutes in slow stop-start traffic. In these conditions the temp never leaves the 50 degree zone. I have deduced that putting the gearbox into sport or manual mode (rather than standard eco) does bring the temp up a little quicker, but still doesn’t stop it dropping down again during easier driving. I’ve not actually tried this, but suspect I could leave the car idling on the driveway for hours without the temp gauge ever moving.

The car has been into the garage on a number of occasions. The thermostat has been changed, all the relevant pipework flushed & cleaned, I’m told the heating matrix is fine, the water pump was only recently changed (with the timing belt) but nothing has changed the lack of heat in the engine. I have not had the Diesel-gate software update. There are no other apparent side effects and the diagnostics shows nothing wrong.

I know it’s cold out there, but I don’t believe my engine is behaving normally. Any ideas please?

Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    My 3.0 Tdi has been the same over the 2 winters I've had it and reading other posts assume its normal. When your only doing 1k revs in a 30/50mph area the engine is not working at all so cools. I have seen a few posts over the last month or so where people are concerned.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Some of the older vag tdi had second thermostat that could give grief. These were normally near an oil cooler on automatics. Worth checking out.
    Only other thing is air in the system.

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevTrem View Post
    My 3.0 Tdi has been the same over the 2 winters I've had it and reading other posts assume its normal. When your only doing 1k revs in a 30/50mph area the engine is not working at all so cools. I have seen a few posts over the last month or so where people are concerned.
    I have a 3.0 tdi. Whether I’m trundling through town or motorway it never fails to warm up to about 90 and stays there. Never seen it drop even when I’m coasting down hill at 60mph+.

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Mine doesn't drop loads, only 1 notch and only on my commute which is 12miles. 10 miles motorway with a good climb about 8 miles in, then im onto 40 and 30mph which is flat. Don't have an issue with it warming up, any more than say 15miles and its warm and stays warm. The heating gets hot after about 3 miles.

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Modern engines get up to the correct temperature and stay there. Without fail. If the engine temperature is at all low or varies at all then almost certainly the thermostat has failed.

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I’d suggest it’s a sensor. Especially if the car is pushing warm air into the cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    If you got the lap timer on you can kind of check if it’s the sensor.
    If oil temp is close to 100c then the coolant is unlikely to be in the 50c range.

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I did a little experiment last night on my way home from work.

I drove the same using cruise etc as normal, only difference was I turned the climate control off. The car warmed up to 4 bars within 9 miles or 11 mins, cruise set to 58mph. I switched the control back on once it was warmed up, temperature set to 21 degrees as normal, the temp dropped one bar for about 30seconds once the relay kicked in for high heat then it was back up to 4 bars for the remainder of the journey.
    I've been through the C7 page and searched for thermostat problems and heating up issues and what I saw last night appears to be normal, the heating matrix is big enough to draw a lot of heat out of the cooling system of these cars. Also I know I have good airflow as my pollen filter was changed in September.

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 won't warm up... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had my 2013 2.0tdi 177 with the Audi dealership for 3 weeks and they didn't get to the bottom of it. The way a car should work, is that the thermostat regulates temp so that it gets up to temp and then stays there. My only thought is that in in the winter, more cabin heat is required, which is drawn from the engine, prolonging coolant warm up time. I have used the seat warmers to stay warm, leaving the heating off a couple of times and it made a seemingly slight difference, but still a while to get to temp, or still stay just under getting to temp. Usually on a 50mph road, cruising in 6th the temp can drop a bar lower (see next point).
    I've also heard these are quite thermally efficient engines i.e. the heat gets expelled quickly through the exhaust, leaving less residual heat for the engine and cabin heater to use to warm up, hence a longer warm up time. I've noticed that it will get warmer quicker the more aggressive the driving i.e. holding the rpm higher and for longer.
    Conversely, I have taken mine on the autobahn at 130mph in 30c weather and the temp stayed spot on at 90c. Even driving up the Alps the temp never went over 90c. So from that perspective, it is a very good cooling system to cope with all of that, which may be why winter temps are affected as such. I read recently that some of the new engines will feature some type of "crankcase bypass for faster warm up times" - so maybe there was too much cooling going on? I had expressed to the dealership that my main concern was engine wear due to running cool, they explained that this shouldn't be an issue, though I would expect such a response anyway.
    Note: I had the cambelt and water pump changed last summer, there is no difference between last winter and this winter for temps.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast