1. Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    So my 2014 A6 TDI ultra engine oil has recently being saying “please reduce engine oil” when it’s checked on the MMI, I had it into Audi on Friday and they apparently reduced the engine oil to the MAX level and checked using their “mechanical dipstick”. Now my car is back on “please reduce engine oil” after 3 days. The guy from Audi says it’s because I only live 10 miles away from work and the car is not warming up resulting in DPF regeneration fails. It’s then pumping the diesel into the engine oil?? Surely this can’t be right... I know there has been a few times it’s been in cycle as idle is increased, burning smell and cooling fans blowing but I’ve had to turn it off and leave the car. Is there any truth to this and is there anyway I can initialise a Regen without using VCDS?
    Cheers in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Yes the flawed dpf system can result in derv in the oil wreaking the oils properties .

0 0 0

3. Re: Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I used to work with a guy who had a fancy BMW and he made a 4 or 5 mile commute daily, his suffered from fuel dilution of the oil and high oil level badly, I think due to frequent active regens during the short journey and engine never getting fully up to temperature. Regens maybe being halted part way through and diesel injected late in the power stroke or on the exhaust stroke to increase dpf temperature not burning off, and washing down cylinder walls into the sump.
    I think your solution is longer hotter and harder driving cycles.

0 0 0

4. Re: Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, suppose it makes sense . But surely that can’t be good for the engine? Is there anyway to initiate a dpf regen apart from with vcds?

0 0 0

5. Re: Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_NorthEast View Post
    Thanks for that, suppose it makes sense . But surely that can’t be good for the engine? Is there anyway to initiate a dpf regen apart from with vcds?

Go for a long/hard drive is about the only way to initiate a regen.
    The design is a bit flawed but alot diesel owners do big miles so it’s never a problem.
    Problem arises from too much diesel in the oil and that effectively can break things like bearings, turbos etc.

0 0 0

6. Re: Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    It’s booked back into Audi Monday for 3 days diagnostic by the master tec, he says even if the regen was failing it shouldn’t of increased the oil in 3 days. Oh well back to another courtesy car

0 0 0

7. Re: Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be driving it at all if the oil has been diluted by the fuel. Diesel doesn't lubricate at all so will be causing damage. Ask Audi to collect the car.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

8. Re: Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    This is one of the reason I prefer the fixed 10k servicing as you can’t tell how much diesel has seeped into the oil
    20k is way too much for any oil

0 2 0

9. Re: Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    The car was in before Christmas with a oil leak from the filter housing and they replaced 3.5 litres of oil,so obviously topped it back up after the work was done, but with that stupid mmi gauge instead of a dipstick it’s almost impossible to check the level....

0 1 0

10. Re: Please reduce engine oil - NIGHTMARE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    To be honest a diet of ten mile journeys shouldn't break your car so long as you do some longer stints, preferably minimum one per week. My office used to be a mere three miles away and I did eight months of that with no problems.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast