Notices

User Tag List

Thread: New owner. Couple of questions about servicing, in particular CVT gearbox oil change.

1. New owner. Couple of questions about servicing, in particular CVT gearbox oil change. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi All

I just registered and this is my first post. I'm sure there will be plenty more.....

I bought my first Audi about 6 months ago, a 2015 late model B8 Tdi with CVT gearbox. It's a beautiful car, 190scr so not short of go and the gearbox is perfect with this engine. I'm getting ready for a service and always do this myself as I have difficulty trusting garages to do things properly (wrong spec oils, actually changing oils, etc). I have a couple of questions about this service and future requirements with regards to diagnostics.

• I might not be using the search function very well but can anyone point me to a good How-To guide on changing the CVT gearbox oil, either here on the forum or the internet? The gearbox is probably my biggest worry with this car so I want to do all I can to keep it sweet. Audi recommend an oil change at 38k but I want to do it early, just approaching 32k now.
    • What do people use in the way of diagnostics? I am reading some guides saying you need it to do things like the gearbox oil change, to prime the fuel system after a fuel filter change (or risk running the high pressure fuel pump dry!) and maybe even just to work on the rear brakes changing pads?
    • Fuel filter change. Probably not needed yet but I like to start ownership with a clean slate. I bought the car with 22k on the clock and 1 Audi service done at 17k but there is no knowing what previous drivers have tipped into the tank. Is it necessary to use VAG.com or similar to prime the fuel lines or does this happen when you turn on the ignition before starting the car (I can do this a few times before turning the engine over if needed)?

I want to keep this car in good shape and well serviced as I tend not to change cars very often. It replaces a B5.5 Passat 1.9PD Highline I bought in 2010 and unless this A4 turns out to be problematic I intend to run it for 6-8 years at least. I get my service parts and oils from TPS as this is often competitive or cheaper than other non-genuine parts suppliers and guarantees the correct parts and oil specifications.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Steve

0 0 0

2. Re: New owner. Couple of questions about servicing, in particular CVT gearbox oil change. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Really? After over 24hrs and 80+ views there has not been asingle reply! Not even a ‘welcome to the forum’ or ‘You posted in the wrongsection mate, try here>>>>’…….

Surely Audi owners occasionally get their hands dirty like most other car enthusiasts? Over the years I have been active on Mercedes,Jeep, VW Passat and Landrover forums and have never heard such a deafeningsilence in response to what should be a simple request for advice.

Can anyone help me, even if it is only to point me in thedirection of a more active Audi forum where I might get some answers?

0 0 0

3. Re: New owner. Couple of questions about servicing, in particular CVT gearbox oil change. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just to add, I picked up all the stuff from TPS today, including the fuel filter and gearbox oil, so one way or another I will be doing these jobs in the coming weeks…..

0 0 0

4. Re: New owner. Couple of questions about servicing, in particular CVT gearbox oil change. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Welcome aboard. I have no info on the CVT box I'm afraid.
    For diagnostics it will be well worth your while to get a VCDS lead from Rosstech's local supplier.
    It goes without saying that changing the oil for Quantum Longlife at least every 10k miles is best practice.
    Sorry, I've never changed a fuel filter so not the best to advise on the how to.
    Someone knowledgeable will be along before long I'm sure.
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

5. Re: New owner. Couple of questions about servicing, in particular CVT gearbox oil change. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    If you want to change the fuel filter you will need a vcds .this is so you can prime your pump to clear any air locks that can occur when you open the lines .you need to prime it without actually turning on your car .turning on your car may cause problem to fuel pump running dry bid dollars to fix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: New owner. Couple of questions about servicing, in particular CVT gearbox oil change. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi again.

One last try to find some info about the oil change in the CVT gearbox.

Made an aborted attempt yesterday. Had the genuine VAG oil supplied from chassis number, purchased the correct anti-tamper torx bit, sorted out OBDeleven to monitor oil temp when setting fill level and had even worked out a cheap and cheerful DIY method to inject the new oil in from the underside of the box.

Unfortunately my mission stalled at the 1st hurdle! Got under the car and removed all the covers only to find my drain and fill plugs don't look anything like they should. All the info I found on the net says a 10mm female hex plug and the M16 multipoint tamperproof plug, like this- Audi A4 B8 Multitronic CVT Problems - Audiworld

All I can find is a single torx drain plug that is smaller than the expected anti-tamper fitting I have bought (for nothing?)

Gearbox 1.jpg

Gearbox 2.JPG

Gearbox is definitely CVT, transmission code is PVM.

Does anyone have experience or advice about this as my only other option is trying to talk to Audi themselves but I doubt they will be very forthcoming....

0 0 0