Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Everyone,

New to this forum, and I'm sure you lot have been asked about this type of thing a couple of times before, but try this one....

Audi A4 2.0 tdi S-Line 170hp 8ED, B7. Parked up in town to go shopping, no trouble at all, came back to the car, spins over but won't start! Guy who recovered it, scanned for codes, but none came up. He reckoned to change the fuel filter, which I have done, used brake cleaner to get it to fire over to help bleeding the filter and it wouldn't even fire over on the brake cleaner!!! This is what is worrying me. I have pulled the cover off and checked the timing belt which SEEMS fine although I am on my own and can't see it while cranking the engine. Fuel delivers to the filter when the ignition is switched on, pulled the intake pipe to the inlet manifold and squirted brake cleaner straight in there, it coughed and set fire to the whole bloomin' lot which caused slight panic, but no damage done!!

I have checked the relays under the ECU, they seem fine (no corrosion). No in tank pump that I can see to check other than the delivery at the filter. Next thing might be to pull the rocker cover off but I'd like to see if anyone has any words of wisdom first?

If the EGR valve was stuck open would it stop the engine from starting? Don't want to keep trying as I don't think the starter likes me very much as it is!! SO over to you lot

Many Thanks in advance

TOMMO

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 S-Line 2.0tdi won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Have you tried the spare key ( if you have one ).

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 S-Line 2.0tdi won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

No spare key. Would have thought that it would fire on brake cleaner in any case??

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 S-Line 2.0tdi won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Is your intake throttle flap / anti shudder valve opening? just thinking if it wouldn't even cough over on aerosol then its not getting air into the engine, does it sound like it's compressing ( that chug chug sound) or just spinning freely. If you remove the intake pipe at the manifold does the engine note change while cranking - ie. air is getting to the cylinders and being compressed.

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 S-Line 2.0tdi won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds OK when turning over, certainly not just spinning over freely, and I'll check the throttle flap in the morning. Would I be able to feel the flap inside the manifold with my fingers or is it further in than that?

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 S-Line 2.0tdi won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    If you have the engine I'm thinking (BRD?) of, the throttle flap is upstream of the EGR valve, if you drop off the intake hose you can see the flap with a mirror on a stick, is that not where you squirted in the aerosol?. The recovery guy was probably just using generic OBDII scanner, presumably you primed the fuel filter with clean fuel when changing it.

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 S-Line 2.0tdi won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes that's where I squirted the brake cleaner which resulted in the "thermal event"! Recovery guy had a snap-on scanner. I'll look at the egr valve and the throttle flap tomorrow and post my findings.

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 S-Line 2.0tdi won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I've had two of those flaps fail and the first one which failed finally died in closed position didn't bring up any codes with VCDS.

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 S-Line 2.0tdi won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Unbolt the dpf and ease it away from the manifold and see if it will fire on a bit of brake cleaner,if its totally blocked or even melted completely you wont get it to fire.
    A4 B6,A4B7Quattro,MK4 Golf,MK5Golf gone and well forgotten,MK6Golf.

0 0 0