Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,
    I have been scanning the net and have got tied up in knots over a stereo upgrade.
    I have factory fitted from new a mfd2 DVD nav and also the factory fit Bluetooth module.
    I have multi fuction steering wheel and the display is the red high line MFD.

The Nav has 2017/18 maps on DVD which is actually quite usable. I'm fine to stick with the unit if need be.
    But what I would like is better phone integration. At best it just takes control of your sim and might work. But most of the time it is well ...pants.
    Would an more recent VW Bluetooth module give me better functionality?
    Which is the most recent that will in work in my vehicle?

I couldngo for a rns510 but battery drain/canbus issues bother me. Okay if I know which canbus very to get but I don't!
    Also, I wpouild really like to connect an iPod by Bluetooth and cable ( sorry I have an old classic and I love it)
    Would the RNS510 give me access to my ipod and retain steering wheel function and also give me track names?

Any but any help i would really appreciate!
    Thanks in advance folks.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2007 Estate 2.0 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    I have a 2007 saloon with the original VW Premium bluetooth phone module (Nokia?). I use an Android phone (S3, S5 or S7) without any significant connection issues (occasional signal dropout in one dead area where I live - happens to ALL providers just there though, so 'normal') on a red full MFD screen and using the MFSW buttons. I also have the flip up keypad in the dash and snap in phone holder inside the arm rest cover (phone specific connector design but now outdated). The phone module has been fine with Nokia, Sony Xperia, Samsung Galaxy and Apple iPhone handsets and my current Samsung Galaxy S7 over 7 years of ownership now.

Updating the phone book is a little cumbersome as you have to put all contacts to SIM (I used a Contacts2Sim app) then updated the phone book using the MFD options for the paired User. Apart from that it has been great and used daily. Only those who do not understand the address book load or the way the car pairs the phones will have problems, save those with faulty modules of course. When upgrading phones I find it best to clear the old profile and address book completely if you want to use the same User name. This can get confusing if you don't know the right steps to clear the existing user profile and delete the phone book.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2007 Estate 2.0 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks DMitch16 for your comments. I use a Galaxy S6 and it does work, and works okay. The phone book is a faff though and yep I found that copying to the sim worked as a solutiuon.
    What i am really after is to find a good solution for streaming my music with little hassle and track info either on the MFD or Radio unit.
    The other issue is the fact that the Nokia factory unit takes control of the sim so you loose your mobile data connection. Thus live traffic info via your phone and apps such as Waze and Google are not possible when paired.

I would like to know if a newer VW bluetooth unit would offer better options over the unit i have at the mo.

Cheers for your help,

0 0 0

4. Re: 2007 Estate 2.0 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Ah I see - yes the Bluetooth or WiFi only options but not both is annoyingly antiquated. There are some cheaper solutions out there but also some good head unit upgrades and I believe the drain issue on RNS units is easily avoided by a small wiring change.

0 0 0