Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

I was washing my car and discovered the top seal on the windscreen was missing. This is the top seal between the aluminium trim and the windscreen itself. I guess it flew off while I was on the motorway the previous day.

I understand that the seal is not a replacement part and not sold separately. It is sold as part of the windscreen aluminium trim and I understand the part number is 8H0 853 829 B.

My preference is to replace the seal only - not the entire trim. My preference is based on two counts:

1. Complicated removal: It appears it is quite difficult to remove the top trim and this can only be done after removing the left and right aluminium side trims. I found a useful video on youtube at How to Remove Exterior Window Trim - 2002-2008 B6-B7 AUDI A4 CABRIOLET - YouTube
    2. Cost of top trim: Audi are looking £600+ although there are trims available on ebay circa £100.

Has anyone replaced the rubber seal cheaply and easily. It looks as if (if I had the rubber seal) it simply pushes onto the aluminium trim (plus lots of quality glue) - a five minute repair.

My ideal repair would be an OEM rubber seal and simply bond it onto place.

• Is this possible,
    • has anyone done this, and,
    • Where do you buy the rubber seal?

See attached picture - top aluminium trim is part marked "9"

Any advice appreciated!
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Advice needed: Rubber seal for windscreen - top strip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Removing trim strips
    1 - Right A-pillar trim strip
    q Remove A-pillar trim.
    q Detach door seal in area of A-pillar.
    q Unscrew the nut → Item.
    q Drill heads off side pop rivets → Fig. (3x), knock out shanks and detach trim strip.
    2 - Roof frame trim strip
    q Remove roof frame trim.
    q Remove left and right A-pillar trim strip.
    q To remove, unscrew the nuts → Item and detach the trim strip.
    3 - Nut
    q 6.5 Nm
    4 - Pop rivet
    5 - Clip
    6 - Left A-pillar trim strip
    q Removal as for right trim strip
    7 - Nut
    q 6.5 Nm
    8 - Clip
    q Movable
    9 - Clip
    q Fixed
    10 - Clip
    q Movable

Removing A-pillar trim strip
    Detach door seal in area of A-pillar and remove A-pillar trim.
    Unscrew the nut -6-.
    Drill heads off pop rivets -2- and -7- and knock out shanks.
    Detach trim strip -1-.
    Clips -3- at top and bottom must be movable to compensate for tolerances.
    Clip -5- is rigidly attached to A-pillar with pop rivets -4-.
    does look complicated a lot of rivets to remove

eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind

0 1 0

3. Re: Advice needed: Rubber seal for windscreen - top strip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Geoffrey

Did you ever find this rubber (or similar) as ours has suddenly disappeared from the car, either fell out or stolen so I urgently need to replace otherwise I guess rain will get in.

Thanks

David

Quote Originally Posted by geoffreytro View Post
    Hi,

I was washing my car and discovered the top seal on the windscreen was missing. This is the top seal between the aluminium trim and the windscreen itself. I guess it flew off while I was on the motorway the previous day.

I understand that the seal is not a replacement part and not sold separately. It is sold as part of the windscreen aluminium trim and I understand the part number is 8H0 853 829 B.

My preference is to replace the seal only - not the entire trim. My preference is based on two counts:

1. Complicated removal: It appears it is quite difficult to remove the top trim and this can only be done after removing the left and right aluminium side trims. I found a useful video on youtube at How to Remove Exterior Window Trim - 2002-2008 B6-B7 AUDI A4 CABRIOLET - YouTube
    2. Cost of top trim: Audi are looking £600+ although there are trims available on ebay circa £100.

Has anyone replaced the rubber seal cheaply and easily. It looks as if (if I had the rubber seal) it simply pushes onto the aluminium trim (plus lots of quality glue) - a five minute repair.

My ideal repair would be an OEM rubber seal and simply bond it onto place.

• Is this possible,
    • has anyone done this, and,
    • Where do you buy the rubber seal?

See attached picture - top aluminium trim is part marked "9"

Any advice appreciated!

0 0 0

4. Re: Advice needed: Rubber seal for windscreen - top strip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi David,

I've tried twice to respond so apologies for the late followed by possible multiple responses!!

I obtained a replacement aluminium trim complete with rubber strip from a breakers. Unfortunately it seemed to be the only solution as the new Audi part was prohibitively expensive. The guidance for removal per above thread is good to replace the aluminium. I added additional glue to the rubber strip as I didn't want to have to make the repair again. Note that Gorilla black handy tape was a very effective temporary repair and buys time to locate a cheap replacement part.

Geoffrey

0 0 0

5. Re: Advice needed: Rubber seal for windscreen - top strip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    HI Geoffrey,

I have exactly the same missing strip that you describe above. Did you end up replacing the aluminium too, or just remove the rubber strip from one and put it onto your existing aluminium trim?

I am trying to source a replacement and I think a breakers yard is probably the only way to go!

Thanks in advance.

James

0 0 0

6. Re: Advice needed: Rubber seal for windscreen - top strip 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi,

I have a brand new one I got for my 2003 2.4 cab (plus new sides) - I was going to change them as my ones had become tarnished (known issue) but never got around to it.

Recently changed the car for a 2006 RS4 version but the trim I have in the box is normal aluminium but the RS4 is brushed aluminium so not much use (ironically I have the exact same problem on the RS4 as you have - again can't find a replacement so will have to use carpet tape/glue!!!).

If interested make me an offer - will probably put them up on ebay.

W.

0 0 0