I’ve always felt ever since I got my 1.6 FSI (BAG Engine Code, GVV Gearbox) that it has felt quite underpowered.

Going up hills it really struggles and have to drop it down a gear to get it up without it stalling / dying.

The car is high mileage at approx ~220,000miles and has been well looked after with oil and filter changes every 6 months.

Timing chain has been replaced last year in March (full kit with VVT pulley).

I didn’t replace the oil pump or check the strainer to see if blocked (chain does make noise / slaps on initial startup but goes away once oil pressure has been achieved). But due to the frequent oil changes I doubt this could be the problem.

On the flats and motorway it drives well but when it gets on a hill it does struggle as explained above.

Could the engine be coked up because of the EGR?

Would getting the head walnut blasted be a good idea to clean the intake ports and valves? Or better still remove head and have it rebuilt, skimmed, new head gasket, head bolts, tappets etc....

I’ve got no electrical fault codes on my VCDS so I’m thinking there is a mechanical issue somewhere.

Worn camshaft loves?
HPFP worn? (Tappet has been replaced and checked recently - common issue for this to fail)
LPFP / lift pump - in tank
Cylinder head leaking? (No mayonnaise under lid of expansion tank - so guessing that’s good?)
Blockage in exhaust system?
Failed / disintegrated catalytic converter?
Air leak / failed vacuum hose?

Injectors have all been ultrasonically cleaned a few months ago with all the Teflon seals and o rings replaced.

Not sure how to fault find a mechanical issue?

Any ideas as to what to do would be appreciated.