1. Question Replace alternator Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Last week i noticed a "juddery" noise just after starting the car from cold while moving the steering coming from the engine bay. I noticed the aux bely pulley jumping around and assumed this needed replacement. Call Audi and it was €125 for a replacement tensioner and belt + €300 to fit. Motor factors was €91 for a gates replacement kit that included an extra pulley. So decided this was a DIY job without really looking into what need to be done. Turned out to be a bit of a job, had to remove the bumper, lights, cross beam (impact beam - not sure the correct name) and pull out the radiator enough to get access. Then the alternator had to come out so i could access the tensioner bolt. Am not sure if there was a better way of doing this but anyway thats what i did it. But now the "juddery" noise is not gone so looking here i see its most likely to be the alternator clutch pulley. Tomorrow i will try to remove the belt again to check the pulley is rotating both directions and if so will order the replacement pulley.

Will i have to repeat the above process of disassembling the car to replace this pulley? When i took out he alternator last week i could not see how it was possible without all this work as the bolt holding it on is very long.

So anyone can guide me in the correct direction to replace this pulley. That €300 is looking cheap at this stage

Tks
    2015 A6 C7 2.0 Tdi S-Tronic

0 0 0

2. Re: Replace alternator Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Just take the alternator off but without the proper tools or an air gun and an M12 XZN you will struggle to get the pulley off.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Replace alternator Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    You'll need the special splined locking and release tool, most decent factors should stock one if you intend to tackle it today. Search for youtube vids to see the sort of tool required. Failing that a windy gun and splined bit as crasher says above

0 0 0

4. Re: Replace alternator Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    You can find the "Alternator Clutch Free Wheel Pulley Removal Tool" on Ebay for under ten pounds.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

5. Re: Replace alternator Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Just take the alternator off but without the proper tools or an air gun and an M12 XZN you will struggle to get the pulley off.
    So its possible to remove the alternator without removing the bumper to get space to take out the bolts??

0 0 0

6. Re: Replace alternator Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    My local mobile mechanic removed my alternator without taking off the front bumper, took it to a local place and had it refurbished and refitted it all

Total cost was £90 inc the refurb cost
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

0 0 0

7. Re: Replace alternator Pulley 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Final Update.

Yes its possible to remove the alternator off without too much stripping - just extremely tight on the knuckles!

using 16 spanner slacken the poly belt tensioner and remove the belt from the alternator pulley. I used a bungee cord to prevent the belt from slipping off the other pullies. there is a water pipe running over the alternator that needed to be unbolted to get enough space, also had to move the expansion tank. 2 x 13 bolts to remove the alternator - you cant see these, just feel for them. Once off i got a local motorfactor/garage to replace the pulley for me. €60 for the new pulley and replacing it - Reassemble.

I should have did some more research before replacing the tensioner as it was not the problem in the first place - you pay for education they say.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

0 0 0