1. Passat B5.5 ABS grating when stopping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, has anyone come across the problem I'm currently encountering please?

I own a Passat B5.5 1.9 TDI 2004 model. Recently when stopping, it feels on my brake pedal like the ABS is engaging just as I come to a halt and there's a grating sound coming from the front of the car that sounds like the pads are worn down. I've had it checked out by my local garage but they say everything seems ok. He's checked everything and he can't locate anything wrong. He's even reset the computer. He thinks it is to do with the ABS and suspects it's something inaccessible. He did mention that the sensors are in with the wheel bearings and that it could be something to do with that.

Any advice appreciated please??

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat B5.5 ABS grating when stopping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    It may be as simple as a stone chip caught in caliper,this causes a crunching sound.

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat B5.5 ABS grating when stopping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, the garage took everything he could get to apart today. It's something non-obvious.

Also, if it were that, it would be constant when I apply the brakes??
    Last edited by Greene14; 19-01-2018 at 08:06 AM.

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat B5.5 ABS grating when stopping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    *deleted*
    Last edited by Greene14; 19-01-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Included in previous message. Want to delete

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat B5.5 ABS grating when stopping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The wheel sensors pull out of the hubs, I thought they would have checked them, it could be rust or a stone in the teeth on the hub, if your ABS warning comes on you will know but its best to check first as the sensors are expensive and it could wreck them.

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat B5.5 ABS grating when stopping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caldirun View Post
    The wheel sensors pull out of the hubs, I thought they would have checked them, it could be rust or a stone in the teeth on the hub, if your ABS warning comes on you will know but its best to check first as the sensors are expensive and it could wreck them.
    Thanks for that. He did say that he didn't remove the sensors as he wasn't sure how and didn't want to damage them. There's been no indication at all on the ABS warning. He's checked that over. It really is just for the last half second of stopping. Still doing it but I can lessen it if I release the brake slightly as I come to a halt.

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat B5.5 ABS grating when stopping 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Using measuring blocks, at slow speed you can watch the ABS signals as the ECU sees them so as you slow down you would see one drop out to 0 at say 3>4 Khm whilst the others still display, then you pull out that sensor, clean it and blow out the crud inside the hub with an air line and rebuild. The ECU will see this as a locked wheel and trigger the ABS. With these Bosch ABS systems, going over about 30kmh normally kicks you out of diagnostics causing you to have to go back in again each time, very annoying. On a few PL45 platform cars we have had the left ABS cables from body to hub cause drop out and even seen damaged CV joint teeth caused by abusive mechanics.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0