1. Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    On a short (2 mile) commute this week I heard an odd noise coming from the rear but the car drove ok. Didn't hear it so much on the way back so figured it was a leaf or something caught in the wheel. Next day I noticed the sound within a minute so pulled over, did a proper check and the OSR tyre was nearly completely flat. I pumped it up, checked again this morning before driving to my local tyre place and it had lost 15 psi which I duly refilled. The tyre place showed me that the tyre couldn't be repaired due to damage to the sidewall caused by driving whilst it was flat - so I now have a cost of £170 for new tyre which had 6mm of tread left.

I'm quite finicky about tyre pressures, check them regularly and store the new values. Once a front tyre had lost over 7psi and no alert from the TPMS, but didn't think too much of it and just pumped the tyre back up.

Different story now in that the OSR tyre had gone down to 5psi with no alerts at all over 15 minutes of driving. Thankfully it was me using the car not my wife taking the kids on a jaunt involving a motorway.

The car had had its first Audi service last month, where the docs show this function was checked and the tyre pressure values stored.

So wondering if anyone can help with these questions:
    1) Has anyone had a similar unfortunate experience with the TPMS not picking any pressure loss at all?
    2) The car is going back to Audi on Monday but how do I get them to prove the system is working ok now, or is/was faulty? Ironically I drove back home from the tyre place with the spare wheel on and the TPMS is now showing a low-pressure alert on that wheel.
    2) Subjective question - do I have a case for Audi to compensate me for the cost of the new tyre? I have asked the tyre garage not to dispose of the old tyre, and have sent an email outlining all of the above to Audi Customer Services.

0 0 0

2. Re: Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNicenice View Post
    On a short (2 mile) commute this week I could hear an odd noise coming from the rear but the car drove ok. Didn't hear it so much on the way back so figured it was a leaf or something caught in the wheel. Next day I noticed the sound within a minute so pulled over, did a proper check and the OSR tyre was nearly completely flat. I pumped it up, checked again this morning before driving to my local tyre place and it has lost 15 psi. The tyre place showed me that the tyre couldn't be repaired due to damage to the sidewall caused by driving whilst it was flat - so I now have a cost of £170 for new tyre which had 6mm of tread left.

I'm quite finicky about tyre pressures and check them regularly. Once I had lost over 7psi in a front tyre and no alert from the TPMS, but didn't think too much of it and just pumped the tyre back up.

Different story now in that the OSR tyre had gone down to 5psi with no alerts at all over 15 minutes of driving. And thankfully it was me using the car not my wife taking the kids on a jaunt involving a motorway.

The car had had it's first Audi service last month, where the docs show this function was checked and the tyre pressure values stored.

So wondering if anyone can help with these questions:
    1) Has anyone had a similar unfortunate experience with the TPMS no picking up pressure loss at all?
    2) The car is going back to Audi on Monday but how do I get them to prove the system is working ok now? Ironically I drove back home from the tyre place with the spare wheel on and the TPMS is now showing a low-pressure alert on that wheel.
    2) Subjective question - do I have a case for Audi to compensate me for the cost of the new tyre? I have asked the tyre garage not to dispose of the old tyre, and have sent an email outlining all of the above to Audi Customer Services.
    I had a similar situation last summer. Had a total pressure loss in the OSR tyre and the system did not pick it up and because it was a rear tyre I did not notice it in the way I would if it were a front tyre. At the time I was driving in rush hour traffic in surburban streets so the wheel was only rotating slowly and I aassumed, because the TPMS works on differences in wheel rotation to detect an issue, that I had not achieved sufficient difference to trigger the alert. I think the any TPMS is simply an aid and not a full proof device and to your final question, yuou can ask but I doubt very much they would do anything unless (possibly) if you were buting the new tyre from them

0 0 0

3. Re: Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    If you have the tyre pressure loss warning system (driven by ABS sensor data), rather than the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (driven by pressure sensors mounted inside each wheel, and with a comprehensive tyre pressure and temperature display both in the DIP and on the MMI) then, as above, you need a reasonable distance for the system to detect the pressure loss. Although a couple of miles does seem a reasonable distance, I am not familiar with how far you have to go for the system to detect a pressure drop, so perhaps a couple of miles at slow speed isn't enough.

0 0 0

4. Re: Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    As above, the Audi system works on the rolling circumference on the tyre which as I’m sure you can appreciate is a very small difference to measure for a few PSI.

1. I have had TPMS warnings but never noted how many PSI they had lost. Simply checked the tyre, refilled with air and carried on.

2. I don’t think so. It’s proved it’s working as the fault is now showing.

2nd 2. No not really, as you say you had irreparable damage so always would have needed that new tyre. Unless they caused the initial damage I’d say no claim. The TPMS simply didn’t warn you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

5. Re: Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    My tpms has went off with a drop in around 8-10psi. If the pressure was dropped overnight then the warning didn’t come up on dash till about 8 miles of driving away from my house.
    Had 2 different punctures(nails in tyres)in the same month and the warning came up more or less in the same area.

0 0 0

6. Re: Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback.

So the TPMS not picking up a 35psi drop from the stored settings over a 2 mile/8 minute journey is worrying. Although I found an article somewhere that says the regulation for TPMS states a max of 10 mins, but that short journey was enough to damage the tyre beyond repair. And a few months back I measured the OSF at around 30psi, again no alert. Yet on the way home from the tyre place today, it went off after 2 minutes because of the spare wheel ... so all quite inconclusive.

Should I now be worried that the quattro diff will go all wonky from having one new tyre and one with 5-6mm tread on the same axle?

There seems to be lots of conflicting advice on the need for consistent tread depth to keep the diff happy....

0 0 0

7. Re: Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I was told by dealer it’s more important across the axle than front to back but no more than 3-4mm front to back and within 2mm across axle.

0 0 0

8. Re: Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I had a huge rear blow out on offside read this week - massive bang, clewr rumble and very flat.

No tyre lressure warning at all even when limping half a mile home at 5 mph

0 0 0

9. Re: Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Ive had mine tell me that I had a nearside rear tyre go soft about an hour into a journey last year, about half hour later the warning got more severe telling me instead of being soft that it was now flat. I was carrying two bikes on a bike rack fitted to my towbar so there was load on the back end. It may be that if you have XL load tyres with thicker sidewall or even no load it doesn't pick up the difference in rotational speed as there isn't sufficient difference with no load in the back of the car.
    My dads Peugeot 407 SW (estate) had a flat rear last year and the only way we knew was to put pressure gauge on the wheel, same thing happens with the A6 I think
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

10. Re: Tyre Pressure System not working = new tyre 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Abs sensor based tpms really only works in a straight line. If you are going round a roundabout the inside wheel is running 10-20%(possibly more) slower than the outside wheel.
    Similarly on a twisty windy road. The tpms potentially takes in steering angle and a whole load of other sensor data to come up with that your tyre could be flat.
    It’s one of those systems that’s better than having nothing but definitely not a system to fully rely on. Only way is to check tyres regularly.
    Only the ones with pressure sensors inside the wheel are reliable but then some of these can cost more when you need to replace tyres as the sensors/batteries will need replacing.
    I got a set of these for my dad and it gives a good indication of a tyre losing air. Not the most aesthetically pleasing item but does the job.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F182413786572

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast