Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey all!

When I open the boot lid fully water drips through the underside of the lid around the cut-outs for access to the tail lights. Originally it only happened on the driver's side, so I replaced the seal around the light with a new one from Audi but it continued to leak. Today I noticed the passenger side has the same issue. Spoke with Audi on the phone and they say it's the only seal they sell for my car.

I took my time when replacing it and ensured I was doing it correctly but it appears I may not have been. Have any of you ever experiences this before and if so can you offer any advice?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Water getting it through rear lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Upon further investigation just now I see that the boot lid itself seems to have some water and condensation in it. The edge of the lid beside the drainage grommet is soaking wet as per this picture. Im unsure how to release the grommet so any help here would be good.

0 0 0

3. Re: Water getting it through rear lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone?

0 0 0

4. Re: Water getting it through rear lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I have had a 2008 saloon and now a B 8.5 2013 saloon and neither had this problem.
    Have you checked that the water is not getting in round a poor number-plate fixing or a loose number-plate light fitting?
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

5. Re: Water getting it through rear lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Early B8 non face-lift models are known to leak at rear lights. Apparently water pools at the top of the lights and seeps under the worn seal. Only solution is to replace seals. May need addition of sealant. If you go down that route, then marine Sikaflex is the way to go. Use sparingly and always clean off excess after applying.

Regards the rubber grommets on the boot lid, these will prize off with a little leverage. Don't use a screwdriver and risk damaging the paint. The plastic spatula that comes with Araldite or such like is ideal.
    2016 BMW i3 REx (25k)
    2012 A4 Allroad Quattro 2.0 TDI (55k)
    2003 A2 1.4 TDI SE (166k) sold
    2001 B5 A4 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro Sport, (173k), sold
    1995 B4 80 1.9 TDI Avant SE, (175k), sold

0 0 0

6. Re: Water getting it through rear lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you have any fix with this mate? I’m having the same issue and it has also caused both of my 2013 tail lights to steam up

0 0 0