Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Replacing original xenon bulbs - will disconnecting the battery cause issues?

1. Replacing original xenon bulbs - will disconnecting the battery cause issues? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I'm looking to pre-emptively replace the xenon bulbs in my A4 B8 2012 (facelifted model) in the next month. Given that xenon bulbs are a little more dangerous than halogen I was planning to disconnect the battery before swapping them over.

Thing is, I have no idea what happens when I do? Am I going to run into issues with radio coding or any other systems?

If anyone knows I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chris

0 0 0

2. Re: Replacing original xenon bulbs - will disconnecting the battery cause issues? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishamer View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking to pre-emptively replace the xenon bulbs in my A4 B8 2012 (facelifted model) in the next month. Given that xenon bulbs are a little more dangerous than halogen I was planning to disconnect the battery before swapping them over.

Thing is, I have no idea what happens when I do? Am I going to run into issues with radio coding or any other systems?

If anyone knows I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chris
    No point of disconnecting battery! People had strange issues later with mmi etc...(not a fact that it will affect your car)! I have disconnected plenty times, all i did after was resync window closing and adjusted time, nothing coding related!
    A48K5 2008 Retrofits: FL Taillights, Bixenon, Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster, ADS with button, MMI 3G & 3G+(With Street view) Other Stuff: Ecu tune, Front bumper valance "Rieger look", Sideskirts, VCDS mod, Interior leds, Basic sound to Audi SS + B/O sub/tweeters+activsub, Soundproofing,Tinted windows, Interior 6D carbon wrap, Painted calipers, 18" Wsp wheels Peeler style, FL gearknob, Efficiency prog via cluster & gateway flash...

0 0 0

3. Re: Replacing original xenon bulbs - will disconnecting the battery cause issues? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnark100 View Post
    No point of disconnecting battery! People had strange issues later with mmi etc...(not a fact that it will affect your car)! I have disconnected plenty times, all i did after was resync window closing and adjusted time, nothing coding related!
    You sure the battery doesn't need to be disconnected? Just read about the bulbs being high voltage etc?

0 0 0

4. Re: Replacing original xenon bulbs - will disconnecting the battery cause issues? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Remove main connector from headlight if you like to play "safe"!

But if you like to go factory recommendation, it is up to you!

Safety precautions when handling gas discharge bulbs
    Never renew bulbs if you are not familiar with the necessary procedure, safety precautions and tools required.
    WARNING
    High voltage! Danger to life!
    t Always disconnect the battery earth cable before working on parts of the gas discharge headlights marked with yellow high-voltage warning symbols.
    t Then switch dipped beam on and off again to dissipate any remaining voltage.
    t Switch off ignition and all electrical equipment and remove ignition key.
    t Never operate the gas discharge bulb control unit without a gas discharge bulb.
    t The gas discharge bulb may only be operated in the headlight housing because of the high voltages (above 28,000 V when the gas discharge bulb is ignited).

WARNING
    Risk of injury from burns, UV radiation, dazzling and explosion.
    t The gas discharge bulb may only be operated in the headlight housing because of the high temperatures, the absorption of UV radiation and to avoid dazzling.
    t Never look into the light beam as this could disturb the eye sight for an extended period of time.
    t Gas discharge bulbs are pressurised and can burst when they are renewed.
    t Always wear safety goggles and gloves when removing and installing gas discharge bulbs.

WARNING
    Observe environmental requirements.
    t Gas discharge bulbs are hazardous waste. They contain metallic mercury (Hg) and traces of thallium.
    t Never break off gas discharge bulbs and do not touch broken glass part of bulb.
    t Observe disposal regulations. Gas discharge bulbs should only be disposed of in the appropriate containers at an official collection point.

Caution
    t Do not touch the glass part of the gas discharge bulb with bare hands. The remaining fingerprint would be evaporated by the heat of the bulb when it is switched on, become deposited on the reflector and thus impair the brightness of the headlight. Wear clean fabric gloves when fitting the gas discharge bulb.
    t Only replace defective gas discharge bulbs with gas discharge bulbs of the same type. The type can be found on the base of the bulb or on the glass part of the bulb.
    t When installing, make sure connectors engage properly and are securely attached.
    A48K5 2008 Retrofits: FL Taillights, Bixenon, Color Cluster & FL S5 Cluster, ADS with button, MMI 3G & 3G+(With Street view) Other Stuff: Ecu tune, Front bumper valance "Rieger look", Sideskirts, VCDS mod, Interior leds, Basic sound to Audi SS + B/O sub/tweeters+activsub, Soundproofing,Tinted windows, Interior 6D carbon wrap, Painted calipers, 18" Wsp wheels Peeler style, FL gearknob, Efficiency prog via cluster & gateway flash...

0 0 0

5. Re: Replacing original xenon bulbs - will disconnecting the battery cause issues? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Definitely wear goggles can be as much as 10 bar pressure or 140psi inside a xenon bulb .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0