1. Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Anyone ever managed to successfully reject a used car?

Long story, short version.
    Bought in early June. (A6, 3.0tdi Quattro SLine, FSH, 23.5kmiles, cost £22,000 consisting of trade in and personal loan)
    Multiple visits to main dealer for following issues:

Drivers headlamp aiming very low (about 20ft in front of the car - repaired)
    Wipers needed replaced
    Yet car was sold with 11month MOT? Clearly not checked

MMI screen juddering on retraction (repaired)
    Minor damage to bumper, noticed when car was uplifted (repaired)
    Ashtray in rear door broken (fixed by me)
    Music from previous owner left on jukebox (deleted by me)
    child's sticker on rear seatbelt proving no valet
    Promised wheel refurb but found residue of old wheel weights about 2 weeks after purchase proving they weren't refurbed.
    Valet and tank of fuel to compensate
    All within about 2months.

Fast forward to now, 6months after purchase.

MMI screen juddering again
    Headlamp aiming low again (intermittent - seemed to be caused by cold weather)
    So I Took car to different, more local dealer this time.
    MMI screen mechanism replaced this time with no charge to me(but I think refused warranty)
    I took the car in with the light faulty so the Technician could see it. Agreed it needed fixed. Headlamp servo replaced but no difference - new headlamp required. Warranty refused but 70% goodwill contribution bringing bill down from £1000 to £300.

Counting the wasted visits where nothing was done, and where my car was taken in to be valeted, it's been in the dealer, 8times in 6months.

Total repairs to car since purchase = probably around £1700-1800. I know the MMI repair was around £400. So it's a minimum of £1400 excluding the wipers, bumper repair etc

Currently, my car is with the local dealer awating instruction, while I, in turn, wait to hear what the selling dealer will do to help me. Phone calls to be made tomorrow as I chase them up and then arrange my headlamp replacement.

Spoke to Trading Standards today and it would seem, at least on paper, I may have reasonable grounds to reject the car under Consumer Rights Act 2015.
    Just wondered if anyone had done it before, and how?

That's now a longer post than I envisaged but I've tried to keep it short.
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 0 0

2. Re: Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    I would certainly attempt to reject this car, even if they successfully fix it as far as you're concerned the damage is done. Good luck.
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

3. Re: Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    not Trying to put you down or anything. It’s difficult enough to reject a new car let alone a used one. Trust me I’ve tried. Mine was recovered 4 times and in dealer for over 4 weeks in the first 2-3 months. This was a new car.
    The things they will look at in my experience in trying to reject a new one is was there any major mechanical failures? I.e engine seizing or gearbox blowing up. Next they will try to see what out of pocket expenses you incur in keeping the car. Things like you hiring a car cause yours was off the road, repair cost to you.
    Then you have to give them an opportunity to right some of the wrongs before you can completely reject it.
    Mmi screen is a known issue as well that’s probably why it was fixed free of charged so not exactly the dealers fault.
    If it was bought from a main dealer as an approved used you might have better luck with Audi U.K. and making a complaint as this has failed the 500(or whatever it is)point check they did before calling it approved used.
    It’s a long drawn process and half the time they will offer you some goodwill like free servicing, maybe some money back would be more worthwhile than completely rejecting the car. If you have had it 6 months and put a few thousand miles on it that could be calculated to a value and that will be deducted from your original purchase price. Got to remember these car depreciate anything from £3-500+ per month so 6 months could be a few thousand.
    I know it’s hard sometimes as we treat our cars as our pride and joys but think about what you want from them and edge them that way as some form of compensation.
    Hope this helps.

1 1 0

4. Re: Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I rejected a car this week mate. Have a look in the Touareg section for my issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

1 2 0

5. Re: Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Cheers lads.

Honestly....I don't want to go down the rejection route. Mainly because I know the dealer won't want that, and that will result in a big argument, even if it's via letters and emails. I do like the car - it's just that the dealer hasn't done a good prep onthe car and left me to deal with the ****.
    If they'd done proper repairs on the MMI (regardless of any known issues - I have seen posts about it) and the headlamp, as they should have because I raised them within a few days, then the car would be fine and there would be no other issues.
    I did mention I'd like them to buy it back at full market value (not trade in price). When I said I knew he wouldn't think that was reasonable, I asked him if he thought it was reasonable to have sold a car in such poor condition.
    His reply was that "it's a perspective". Very non-commital and probably trying to placate me.
    I expect full market value would be in the region of 19k, maybe a touch more.

If they say they'll pay the £300 to cover the cost of the headlamp, I'm inclined to accept that and sell the car in the summer/autumn but there's obviously a large financial hit to me doing that. I'll need to consider it and take my above point about proper preparation into account.....meaning, if the car is other wise ok (it is) then I don't need to rush into a change....although I do like the A7

Phone calls tomorrow to selling dealer to get their position, then to local dealer to instruct the work. Ideally, then draw a line under it.

I'll update here once I have further

0 0 0

6. Re: Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I was pretty blunt with VW customer services, VW finance and the selling dealer. Didn’t loose my rag but was blunt and to the point giving no room for movement.

Tomorrow should be interesting when I collect the old car back as they said the brakes were fine! Yeah if non working brakes are fine and VW breakdown services condemn a car as the brakes don’t work!

Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

7. Re: Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I will try to squeeze them for more than the headlight 😉
    It’s worth more to them not taking the car back off you. Get a couple of free services or extended warranty, if yours has the dsg gearbox then that’s an expensive service coming up. Servicing is worth next to nothing to them but a good few hundred to us.
    I think the trick in these type of negotiations is to feel like both side has won but don’t let them away with it too easy.

0 1 0

8. Re: Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    I will try to squeeze them for more than the headlight 
    It’s worth more to them not taking the car back off you. Get a couple of free services or extended warranty, if yours has the dsg gearbox then that’s an expensive service coming up. Servicing is worth next to nothing to them but a good few hundred to us.
    I think the trick in these type of negotiations is to feel like both side has won but don’t let them away with it too easy.
    I know they don't want it returned.....and it occurred to me about free service, warranty extension, but then I also thought - Do I really want them working on my car now that I know what they're like? A difficult one.
    Yes....it is a DSG box....currently 30k miles so it's late summer that the service is due.

I think your point about both sides feeling ike they've won is spot on. No one likes to feel they've lost....so a compromise is defintely my aim.

I'll still be writing to Audi UK regarding the poor service and shoddy treatment though.

0 0 0

9. Re: Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1tchy View Post
    I was pretty blunt with VW customer services, VW finance and the selling dealer. Didn’t loose my rag but was blunt and to the point giving no room for movement.

Tomorrow should be interesting when I collect the old car back as they said the brakes were fine! Yeah if non working brakes are fine and VW breakdown services condemn a car as the brakes don’t work!

Perhaps unfortunately, I don't have finance. Trade in vehicle plus debit card but the money was still borrowed. I don't have the finance company angle for a fight - just me (and the wife)

0 0 0

10. Re: Rejecting a used car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Most dealerships are owned by a group so you could take your servicing elsewhere in their group.
    Most the central Scotland Audi dealers are owned by lookers for example.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast