1. Bad handbrake(on other car) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    IMG_3644.jpgIMG_3644.jpgJust been given MOT failure ticket on my other Passat as there is a disparity between the amount of pull that the handbrake gives left and right - that is, the left hand side holds slightly better than the right-I know this as I put axle stands under the car. Apart from a shredded piston boot on the right hand calliper everything is okay, no binding etc. The brake pads are decent quality Pagid ones and have plenty of life left in them. I cant see anything wrong with the self adjusters as they took up the 'slack' after about 20 odd pulls of the handbrake lever. Can anyone help? as I cant afford any more surprises. Have just uploaded a pic of the cable compensator under the handbrake. The cable on the right hand side has 'pulled' through more than the left hand one. The thing is, the cable outwardly looks perfect and the inner cable looks fine at the calliper end, so I am still mystified.
    Last edited by Eugheugh; 11-01-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    0 0 0

2. Re: Bad handbrake(on other car) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Are you sure both inner cables are free in their outer cables?
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.
    0 0 0

3. Re: Bad handbrake(on other car) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Yes, both inner cables are free to move within the outer and I've inspected the outer cable carefully. It's just as if the right hand cable has about 1cm longer inner cable poking out than the left one, if that makes sense?.
    0 0 0

4. Re: Bad handbrake(on other car) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I suggest you follow the instructions in the Haynes manual for adjustment, removal and refitting of the brake cables without actually removing them, so that you have the adjustments correctly set.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    0 0 0

5. Re: Bad handbrake(on other car) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply but the cables cant be adjusted; that is, Any freeplay in the cables is taken up by the self adjusters on the backs of the callipers. Besides Haynes often take the long winded approach to a lot of jobs and with a young family I dont have time to muck around under the car any longer than an hour at a time. Looks like I am going to have to change the calliper as it binds ever so slightly so is probably the piston not retracting back far enough which is causing this left/right handbrake disparity. Just thought someone on here might have had the same problem at MOT time.
    0 0 0

6. Re: Bad handbrake(on other car) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Maybe you're right, but I was more concerned about the disparity in the cable lengths and the possibilty that the adjusters have reached their limit.
    0 0 0