1. VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now I have searched for some other threads around regarding the question here. However I've still not found a proper answer to it.

I recently purchased a 2010 MK6 1.6 Bluemotion Golf and have had it for less than a month and filled up twice. I've almost clocked 1000 miles in that time and recently just went on a 200 mile trip this weekend. On the trip I averaged 59-61mpg and this was me being very economical. I skip gears when coming off roundabouts pretty much not using 4th the whole journey, I also stuck to 65mph on the motorway because I found that going 70mph I'd loose about 5mpg.

I spent about 100 miles on motorway doing 60-65mph, no traffic as it was a peaceful Sunday. All the other roads were country roads where I was averaging 50-60mph on. Only encountered about 5 miles town driving where I had to stop/start due to traffic lights etc.

When I got home from the trip my car said I averaged about 60mpg. The VW figures show that you can stretch 80mpg out the car so I don't know what I'd have to do for that, I was seriously pushing my economical side on the journey.

The car has 49,000 on the clock
    Filled up with normal Diesel
    Recent service and MOT with no real issues
    Stock alloys 16" (probably lightweight bluemotion models)
    Tyres aren't eco tyres but that should really only effect 2-3mpg from what I read up on.

Any help would be great! Am I being silly thinking I should be getting more out of the car?

I'm not completely happy with my new purchase, although the car itself I love but the economy side was a big factor in getting this model. My old mk4 golf got 450 miles to a tank and my last tank in this I got 550, compared to the price I paid for the car and the price of diesel compared to my previous petrol costs I just can't see the benefit in my swap yet (fuel wise).

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    check my fuelly

never been happy with my mpg,
    but there again is 80-90% town driving, another reason we are swapping for a smaller petrol car.
    NEW 2012 Golf mk6 1.6 tdi Bluemotion..tinted glass, white

0 0 0

3. Re: VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Realistically, your 60mpg is fine for the car. The Germans have their own version of Fuelly - called "spritmonitor.de" and there are many users - you can read it in english. You can check what other drivers are getting for similar cars including bluemotion, etc. For the 2010 1.6 Diesel, there are 66 entries (including bluemotion) and they average 5.6 to 5.3 litres / 100km. This works out at 50.8 to 54.2 mpg. That's considerably worse than 80 mpg. We drive gently and can usually average about 55 to 57 mpg over a few fills except in winter. To put things in perspective - starting the car on a warm summer's afternoon and running down from a hilltop B+B for 2 miles, our car achieved 107mpg on the display; starting at about 0° and driving 2 miles on the flat in winter showed 36mpg. (Calculation for litres per 100km = number of miles x 4.546 / number of litres).
    2009 1.6 TDi 105 5 door Tornado Red

0 1 0

4. Re: VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got my 1.6TDi Match Bluemotion Technology new on 1st Sept 2012, and have covered just over 33,000 miles, so far it has averaged 62.7mpg, with a best tank-full just shy of 70mpg. The fill-light is generally coming on about the 700 mile mark.
    2012 Golf 1.6TDi BMT Candy White

0 0 0

5. Re: VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    56.25mpg over 37000 miles since October 2010. 1.6 BMT DSG Match. I don't drive it to squeeze the most MPG, I just go with the flow........

0 0 0

6. Re: VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my car has been in several time re poor mpg, just get fobbed off...

0 0 0

7. Re: VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
    my car has been in several time re poor mpg, just get fobbed off...
    Same for me - poor MPG of approx 50 average over 64000 miles of very careful driving with lots of motorway runs and sticking to speed limit and under. Considering a Toyota hybrid now for my next car as also severely miffed with all my DPF problems / EGR issues etc. Hopefully a hybrid will give me decent MPG without the problems of a diesel engine.
    Golf Estate Bluemotion Sportline 2010 -
    2zone Climate/RCD510/Rear Parking Camera/MDI

0 1 0

8. Re: VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds about right to me, I get the same. 55-60mpg on average.

I think the 1.6TDI is particularly bad when compared to its claimed specs. From looking around the 2.0TDI seem to fair better. I think real world driving requires you put your foot down and use the 1.6 engine a bit more which kills the MPG stats.

I wish I had done a bit more research before purchase, the EGR issues sound a nightmare which I think is 1.6 specific as well. DPF not a problem really for me as I do 75 mile round trip on motorway 3 times a week.

Saying all this the car does use about half the fuel of my old Focus and It is only £20 road tax so as long as the EGR does not go anytime soon I am happy.

0 1 0

9. Re: VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, a little warmer today and my regular 30 mile round trip has come in at 68mpg. Some days in recent weeks I've found it hard to get more than 45mpg on the display!

I know the display can be a little up and down but it's obvious (in my case at least) that the 1.6tdi engine management feeds far too much fuel to the engine in ambient temperatures below 10c.

What I need is some way of stopping this by tricking the system into thinking it's warmer outside than it is.............anyone?

0 1 0

10. Re: VW Golf MK6 1.6 Bluemotion TDi fuel economy questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All the hype given to me, re the golf being in a class of its own and better mpg etc etc by the vw dealerships has proven to be wrong , very disappointed by the mk6 / vw .
    Looks like the mk7 is not much better.
    this is my fuelly costing, no where near what i was told. along with the pcp bullsh#t its proven to be an expensive 24 months.

Basic Stats

• 49.0(-0.1)avg UK MPG
    • 44.8(+2.2)last UK MPG
    • 62.3(31/08/12)best UK MPG

Want to display some custom stats here?

• £1.37Avg. Price/Litre
    • £63.79Avg. Price/Fuel-up
    • £0.127Avg. Price/Mile
    • £2,424.03Total Spent

Cost Analysis All Time

Total Miles Tracked 19230

our new city car can not arrive quick enough.....
    Last edited by steve67; 16-03-2014 at 08:24 AM.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast