Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How to stop my Q7 from being robbed?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Last week 11 Audi's were stolen from my small village. Mine was attempted but the young scum were chased off by a neighbour.

Having watched the CCTV from a number of village residents, it would seem that all they do is smash a window, connect OBD11 or similar then code in a spare key that they bring along with them and presumably reuse over and over.

The first one they did in the village took them 7 minutes but now they have got it down to just under 3.

The alarm goes off when they smash the window but appears to stop within seconds of connecting up the OBD dongle. You then see a lot of indicators flashing on the Q7 as they pair up the spare key then drive off in the vehicle.

We are on the flight path and so most of the village has triple glazing, consequently nobody heard the alarm go off.

My question is whether there is a way for me to prevent this at all, activating a code before anyone can access the OBD for instance? Maybe an easy lead I could remove that immobilises the vehicle (we used to remove the distributor cable in the old days). It seems like just a matter of time before mine goes as well as there really isn't anything to stop them.

The Police advised a steering lock, but ironically one of the vehicles had one and they just got a power tool out and removed it.

Seems we have a crime wave coming.....
    Racing Mica Blue Q7 S-Line 272. Adaptive everything!

0 0 0

2. Re: How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Not a good position to be in. If it was me, my immediate impulse would be to crudely disable the OBD port. I have not looked to see how it is physically located, but would it be possible to 1) hide it behind a panel & put a dummy port in the position 2) install a hidden disable switch for a one or more of key data-lines going to the port. 3) investigate some third party car alarm-immobilizer systems we all fitted in the 80's that will disable fuel supply/ engine management.

Trust you find something to allow you to sleep at night.

0 0 0

3. Re: How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    Jeez this is not good - I’ve read something on other forums about AutoGhost? Google that and have a look

0 0 0

4. Re: How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo78 View Post
    Jeez this is not good - I’ve read something on other forums about AutoGhost? Google that and have a look

NEW! Autowatch Ghost CANbus Immobiliser

Interesting!

1 0 0

5. How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Not good. Assumed Audi’s were vulnerable to this. On my prior Land Rover the manufacturer had blocked OBD cloning (I.e. not allowed a new key to be generated like that via the port) due to thefts. But of course the flip side is more hassle and cost when you need a new key.
    If you don’t mind spending some £ then look at a tracker with a key card or key fob of some sort. This immobilises the engine unless the extra card/fob is present, hence making OBD port cloning or wireless keyless entry hacks useless. Basically someone has to physically get the key card or fob (nothing’s perfect) to take the car I.e. break in and find keys, card etc. Look for trackers that are Thatchem Category 5 (old standard for this) or MTS (new similar standard). PM me if you want more details - I’m not selling, I just looked into it recently.

Q7 MY16 272PS S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    | Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating |

0 0 0

6. Re: How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    A lot of the Focus and Fiesta owners are now using locks on the OBD ports as well as moving them. They also remove the live that's there too. The Fords I believe can be taken within 45seconds now. Have you thought about a wheel clamp as well as a steering lock? Other options include having a kill switch or going back to the days of a gearstick lock, so its locked in park.
    These are all deterrents and wont stop them with jib or recovery truck.

Try speaking to your insurance company, see what they suggest and advise.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

7. Re: How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    How about a sticker on the window saying "OBD port disabled"?

Best regards,
    a naive Q7 owner in Norway
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    2018 Q7 e-tron S-Line / Business / Tour / adaptive air suspension / towbar / Bose / Daytona metallic / Thule roof rack, roof box

0 0 0

8. Re: How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    There is a gizmo called an OBD saver which is a lock for the OBD port. Trouble is it doesn't stop windows getting broken!
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

9. Re: How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Landmine?
    Set up a sniper position over looking the car?
    Electric fence connected to the mains?

I hate thieves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

10. Re: How to stop my Q7 from being robbed? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    I like your thinking M1tchy!

Not a nice thing to go through MicaBlue but I’m still in the camp of I’d rather wake up to find my car missing than some thug in the bedroom demanding the keys.
    Former Q7 owner

0 0 0

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast