Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Loss of power, whistling sound, Turbo gone?

1. Loss of power, whistling sound, Turbo gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    PS: not 100% sure I have the right section??

Hello,
    I’ll introduce myself, I’m Oliver and wish you all a Happy New Year!
    I have a Passat 1.9TDI 100 hp bought new in 2001 with 250.000 miles on the clock, it has served us well. But a week ago, I noticed a noise when accelerating, a slight hissing sound (similar to a person trying to whistle with the mouth for the first time) and last night going up the bank that leads to our house I noticed a clear loss of power. By opening the hood I notices that there is quite a bit of oil that seems to have evacuated just before the turbo (see photo), after checking the engine oil level I notice that it is missing oil, on the stick Tester its arrives just below the level of the small band indicating the ideal location.

After reading multiple articles with similar problems, it looks like it's a turbo issue, so either I'm lucky and it's a hose burst or other to replace or it's the turbo or worse soI have to make a decision, because a new turbo + placement will surely be more than a thousand pounds and therefore it might be more wise to sell it to a scrap dealer and put the money towards a new car knowing that it has 17 years and 250.000 miles?
    So I wonder today what should be my way forward, knowing that I live 30 minutes away from the first garage. And is it wise to drive my car to one of these garages or should I call a tow truck? I thought I’d contact my insurance but I think that since the car is at my home it does not come under breaking donw?

Here is my situation in a few words, thank you in advance for reading me.
    Oliver
    Attached Images

0 0 0

2. Re: Loss of power, whistling sound, Turbo gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    That pipe in the photo is the air inlet pipe to the turbo and the engine crankcase breather pipe (number 2) the oil around that pipe looks like it has been building up there for a long time judging by the amount of dust and dirt stuck to it. you might want to remove the hose clip (6) and pull the pipe off the turbo to see how much oil is actually in the compressor inlet, also check the compressor outlet ( boost pipe) for oil. A small residue is normal, oil running and dripping out is not normal. You might find the hissing sound is a boost air leak rather than the turbo whining or whistling. If you know what you are doing you could disconnect the boost pipe and run the engine at tickover and monitor for oil dripping out the turbo. Are you seeing a lot of bluish grey smoke on acceleration from the exhaust? Unless you regularly monitor oil level, what you see on the dipstick might just be normal consumption between services.

0 0 0

3. Re: Loss of power, whistling sound, Turbo gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
    That pipe in the photo is the air inlet pipe to the turbo and the engine crankcase breather pipe (number 2) the oil around that pipe looks like it has been building up there for a long time judging by the amount of dust and dirt stuck to it. you might want to remove the hose clip (6) and pull the pipe off the turbo to see how much oil is actually in the compressor inlet, also check the compressor outlet ( boost pipe) for oil. A small residue is normal, oil running and dripping out is not normal. You might find the hissing sound is a boost air leak rather than the turbo whining or whistling. If you know what you are doing you could disconnect the boost pipe and run the engine at tickover and monitor for oil dripping out the turbo. Are you seeing a lot of bluish grey smoke on acceleration from the exhaust? Unless you regularly monitor oil level, what you see on the dipstick might just be normal consumption between services.
    Thank you so much for your input @Rob69, much appreciated!

When you say to ""also check the compressor outlet ( boost pipe)" would that be number 5?

When you say "You might find the hissing sound is a boost air leak rather than the turbo whining or whistling" do you mean once I unscrew and clean that boost pipe I might find crack in it?

When you say "If you know what you are doing you could disconnect the boost pipe and run the engine at tickover and monitor for oil dripping out the turbo" well I do not know what I'm doing when it comes to car mechanic but I coud give it a shot if it only means to take that clip out and control for a little while for oil leaking?

Tomorrow I'll check the colour of the smoke coming out from the exaust too

All failing, do you feel it safe'ish) to drive 30 minutes to a garage if it is the turbo which is at fault?

Thank you again and have a great evening,
    Olivier

0 0 0

4. Re: Loss of power, whistling sound, Turbo gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    If there's no black smoke out the exhaust then it could be one of the hoses to the small rectangular intercooler on the passenger side at the front behind the front bumper. if one of the hoses going to it has split or the clips have popped off you will get the sound you are talking about. Jack the car up and have a look.

0 0 0

5. Re: Loss of power, whistling sound, Turbo gone? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    When you say to ""also check the compressor outlet ( boost pipe)" would that be number 5? No, number 5 is the inlet pipe, boost ( outlet pipe) is pointing downwards and is to the upper left of number 6

When you say "You might find the hissing sound is a boost air leak rather than the turbo whining or whistling" do you mean once I unscrew and clean that boost pipe I might find crack in it?, no - you need to check all the boost pipework and intercooler for leaks as mentioned in post #4 , to get access you will need to get under the car and remove the undertrays if still fitted.

When you say "If you know what you are doing you could disconnect the boost pipe and run the engine at tickover and monitor for oil dripping out the turbo" well I do not know what I'm doing when it comes to car mechanic but I coud give it a shot if it only means to take that clip out and control for a little while for oil leaking? - fair enough, but giving it a shot could leave you with bits on the floor and not sure how to reassemble it.

Tomorrow I'll check the colour of the smoke coming out from the exaust too

All failing, do you feel it safe'ish) to drive 30 minutes to a garage if it is the turbo which is at fault? - I can't say if I would or not without seeing the car myself, but if there is no clouds of smoke from the exhaust and no sign of wet fresh oil (not the dirty dusty oil in your photo) dripping from the turbo or boost pipes then it probably would be ok to drive carefully.

0 0 0

6. Re: Loss of power, whistling sound, Turbo gone? 
    From - Walney Island, Cumbria, Live in: Larkhill, Wiltshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I would place a large bet on it being the “s” hose split (turbo outlet hose under number 5) I’ve been through three... of you have small arms and I foglights, you can remover drivers side grille and get your arm in for a feel. Though turn the engine off and let it cool down first...

Where abouts are you? Maybe someone local could give you a hand if your not so sure?

Aidan

54 Passat Wagon PD175
    99’ Audi S4 Avant 2.7 QTO

0 0 0