Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I have a very interesting issue that’s arisen on my partners A3, a car that’s been golden for us is now the dog of the pack. So we did a fairly long drive (Cornwall to London) and back just after Christmas. No issues on the way up.

On the way home... sat in the car park of our hotel on a very icy cold morning. We had the engine running planning our journey on the sat nav. All of a sudden the ESP light came on. We turned the car off and on a few times but it came on every time. I then moved the car 100 yards or so and all the clock needles went back to 0 and it was as if the whole clock set reset and back on. I turned the car off again and back on no ESP light and we travelled all the way back with no problem.

A quick VCDS scan shows a load of DTC’s of varying messages but primarily the CAN gateway has an unclearable 00470 Combination comfort databus in single wire. Open circuit. So this led me to believe I have a broken wire somewhere in the car.....

But a couple of days ago the alarm started going off of its own accord. The car believes the boot is open. The rear wiper etc does not work, but the boot light (which never worked) now does. This morning I stripped out the boot latch and tested the micro switch which is working. Between the two outer pins of the connector and the inner. With the boot latch unplugged the car still shows the boot open warning. When I plugged it all back in it worked for a time and didn’t show the message.

Im stumped now, is the boot latch a red herring of a faulty module OR is the boot latch entirely to blame? Which module, convienience? CAN? Has anyone ever seen this before?

0 0 0

2. Re: Very interesting issue! A3 2.0TDI 2004 Alarms, lights and more 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Its more likely to be issue within the wires not modules. Check place where eires come from cars body into boot lid.
    Current cars:
    2007 Passat b6 2.0 tdi BMR DSG
    2013 Golf MK7 1.6 tdi 5 speed

0 0 0

3. Re: Very interesting issue! A3 2.0TDI 2004 Alarms, lights and more 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had hoped as much, having done some further investigation over the weekend I believe I have narrowed it to the passenger side of the car.

With VCDS in each door module on the near side in the measuring blocks I can see the doors jumping between single wire and 2 wire. Where as the off side is 2 wire.

Interestingly if you disconnect the battery for a time, and then reconnect, the car does not believe the boot is open, the rear wiper works etc. Eventually (about an hour) the car will again think the boot is open, no rear wiper etc.

My next plan was to disconnect the two near side doors and test, I have removed the trim on the boot wiring entry but am waiting for some fabric tape to cut open and inspect the wiring at this point. One thing I did notice was that the tape is soaking wet but did look in good condition externally. Any further thoughts or suggestion gratefully received!

0 0 0

4. Re: Very interesting issue! A3 2.0TDI 2004 Alarms, lights and more 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi there
    Did you resolve this problem?
    My sons A3 has just developed a similar issue,
    Started with wipers not working
    Then horn and indicators
    Dashboard lights failed
    Rev counter not working
    Boot open
    etc

Any ideas? Anyone Please?

0 0 0

5. Re: Very interesting issue! A3 2.0TDI 2004 Alarms, lights and more 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    Hi there
    Did you resolve this problem?
    My sons A3 has just developed a similar issue,
    Started with wipers not working
    Then horn and indicators
    Dashboard lights failed
    Rev counter not working
    Boot open
    etc

Any ideas? Anyone Please?
    Hi Sully, apologies I missed this!

Yes I did get it sorted, turned out to be the Central Convenience Module (In the drivers side boot). Corroded due to a leak from the rear washer pipe. Several pins has corroded through so I replaced it, recoded and all was well!

Hope this helps

0 0 0

6. Re: Very interesting issue! A3 2.0TDI 2004 Alarms, lights and more 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi
    Sorry i missed your reply, i Had sorted it
    after alot of searching and head scratching it was the Central Convenience Module
    Got lead up dead ends at first, but eventually traced to a small water leak into module. Cleaned it up with wd40 and an old toothbrush and now right as rain.

cheers

0 0 0