Hi

I have a 3.2 2007 4 motion wagon. I have noticed that when automatically shifting from 4th to 5th gear when in Drive - there is sometimes a clunk. It is not noticeable when accelerating, more noticeable on smooth tarmac with little/no acceleration when car decides to change from 4th to 5th gear. It does not seem to do it in any other gear.

When putting into manual shift mode, I cannot replicate the clunk - it is always smooth going up or down a gear.

One other thing I noticed on the weekend when dropping my daughter off a festival. We were sitting in a long slow/stationary queue of traffic for an 1 hour. Near the end of the hour, after rolling and coming to a stop there would be quite a clunk in the gearbox.

I was worndering whether the complex gearbox tech got itself a bit confused. I switched it to manual mode, and the problem did not occur. I assumed it stayed in gear in this mode, when in automatic mode it may be switching back to neutral or something.

It went back to normal after getting back to regular speeds and doing the normal starting and stopping routines, i.e give way, stop signs etc.

So I suppose there are 2 issues but the main question id the clunk form 4th to 5th - when not accelerating hard.

Would servicing help the problem, or is that simply replacing the gearbox fluid. I have read a lot about these gearboxes - some which scared me....

It is a good car, drives well, while 10 years old and with 106,000km on the clock. So do I move on, or is this just a quirk of the gearbox and nothing to be overly concerned about.

Thanks

Andrew