Notices

User Tag List

Thread: GTE: is the electric heater meant to be so useless?

1. GTE: is the electric heater meant to be so useless? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I could say lots of nice things about my company car Passat GTE, but can I ask for help about this problem....

Please could anyone with a Passat GTE let me know if you've also found the heating from electric (battery & mains) to be so ridiculously weak that it seems faulty?

I got the car in about March 2017, and I noticed that the best cabin heating it would do when driving on battery is a vaguely warm feeling if you put your hand in front of the vents after about 10 minutes.
    I wouldnt call it heating... My previous car was a prius and it had a realy effective electric only heater, even from cold, and despite a comparatively tiny battery.

So i just end up using the seat heaters, which are realy powerful, or driving using petrol for a bit to warm it up.

I did ask the local VW dealer to have a look but since there was *some* sort of warmth after 10 mins of fiddling there wasnt much to go on. I got the impression they were suffering from never having seen one of these. They didnt offer to do any other diagnostics.

Since then I've been trying to get the feature working where you use electric (battery or while stil plugged in to mains) to get the car warm & deiced before you set off.
    It's a great idea, but, on my car,there's no way it could ever possibly work.

I can see it switch on, and I can see it switch off quite soon after (no idea why), but all it does is a vague whisper of cold air. That's never going to warm anything up.

I've tried sitting in it while it comes on, but there's no heating. I've tried switching the heating on immediately afterwards - and there's no hot air coming then either, so it's not been warmed up.

I have measured it taking 2kW from the mains when it's doing it, even with battery already fully charged, so I have no idea what it's doing with all that power..

If someone on this group could confirm that your heating on electric only works OK then I'll know there's a definite fault with mine.
    On the other hand if yours is the same then I'll just have to accept that it's an example where the technology isn't up to aspirations yet.

thanks

Keith

0 0 0

2. Re: GTE: is the electric heater meant to be so useless? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Keith,

I can definitely confirm the lousy heating performance. It's worked adequately for me on the move, but trying to get the car pre-heated on electricity is pretty useless. On only slightly freezing temperatures it gets the windows de-iced, but in no way is the car warm when entering. Even when it runs, say for an hour with a 25 degree target. The gas heater is from a different planet.

--Marko

0 0 0

3. Re: GTE: is the electric heater meant to be so useless? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You wait until proper electric cars come along, you can recognise a curent electric car owner by their blue skin and icicles from their nose...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0