1. Cam Belt Change Mystery & Water Pump Conundrum 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My next service, minor, is due in March so I thought I would check if there has been any change/update in VWs stance on when this belt should be changed. But as usual its a mystery, other than the "lifetime" being mentioned and on another VW site 125k being mentioned with yearly inspections before that. My 2013 Golf MK7 1.4 TSI GT is 5 years old in March and has only done 28k miles whereas I don't want to waste money my inclination is to change the cam belt and water pump then at my local VW independant. Then I read that the water punp is not driven by the cam belt on this car so no need to change that.

Help !

0 0 0

2. Re: Cam Belt Change Mystery & Water Pump Conundrum 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personally I’d get the cambelt changed as per VW recommendation ie: at Five years or at 130,000 kms whichever is the earlier.

Would be an expensive repair bill if it did give up the ghost so your inclination to change is right in my view.

0 0 0

3. Re: Cam Belt Change Mystery & Water Pump Conundrum 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sometimes the "old fashioned" way is the best way. % years seems plenty long enough. Only question is doing the water pump at the same time. I guess the same 5 year principal applies if its easy to get at but is not driven by the cam belt.

0 0 0

4. Re: Cam Belt Change Mystery & Water Pump Conundrum 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thought I'd raise this again as my repairer thinks the waterpump should be changed as well. As it always was with cambelt changes. I'm sure I've read that the water pump doesn't need replacing "because we've got it apart" as its on the other side of the engine? Its a low mileage 2013 1.4Tsi CPTA engine (29k miles) so I don't really want to change the water pump if I don't need to.

Any advice ?

0 0 0

5. Re: Cam Belt Change Mystery & Water Pump Conundrum 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    IMO at that mileage I'd leave the pump unless there is any sign of crusty deposit at the tell tale hole or suspect bearing noise. if the coolant is still original I'd change that though. The pump can be changed some other time if required due to leakage or noise or mileage rockets up in the next few years. If you want to be particular about the pump, remove the belt and spin by hand and see if there is any lift or play in the bearing, but you'd probably hear something was wrong with the bearing in the first instance.

1 0 0

6. Re: Cam Belt Change Mystery & Water Pump Conundrum 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Rob thats what I thought as well. Although theres nothing worse than a crusty deposit

0 1 0