I nudged a kerb in that snow last Monday when the dreaded ESP came back on after an engine restart, the back started to slip, I corrected it and the ESP then re-corrected and slammed me into the kerb.

My tyre bead popped off the rim so I came to an immediate stop and changed the tyre where the car stood in over a foot of fresh virgin snow.

After I changed the wheel I didn't realise til I got home but I stupidly dropped the locking wheel nut key in the snow (assumed I did anyway by trial and error), I went back two days running with a metal detector but couldn't find it but pursuaded a tyre guy I've known for years to remove the wheel bolts and replaced them with regular 17mm jobbies - he didn't like talking about or even removing the locking bolts for some reason, especially when other people were in earshot but we've known each other 20 odd years so he oblidged!

Today while passing that same road I thought I'd look out of curiosity, one piece of ice still sitting in the middle of the road and.... there the bloody thing was, staring back up at me! grrrrr...

Anyway, these spline keys seem to work on a number system from 0-9, 0=10 splines, 1=11 splines, 2 =13 splines, 3=14.... my key is number ABC-5 and 16 splines.

Note: No 12 or 18 spline keys by the looks of things.

So if you lose your old key, count the splines in the locking bolt and work out your spline code number, there are a few on eBay for under a tenner for my code. Some of the locking keys work on a rib system which I believe starts at 51=6 ribs up to 62=17 ribs, again count the ribs.

Might help someone with a costly repair or headache!

Happy Xmas everyone! Thanks for all the help and advice!

IMG_8682.jpgLocking key Splines.jpg