Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi A3 2.0TDi hydraulic clutch - free play (top of clutch)

1. Angry Audi A3 2.0TDi hydraulic clutch - free play (top of clutch) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there's anyone that might be able to shed some light on a hydraulic clutch problem I'm having?

Initially, my car showed symptoms of a clutch problem where the clutch was going down when pressed but would not release itself again and the gearbox would stay stuck in gear, I could only lift the clutch with the use of my foot underneath it and then change (release) gears!

I then took my car into an independent mechanic who informed me that one of their master techs have said that it was the clutch slave cylinder in the bell house, common problem on the 6spd gearbox? Having had the slave cylinder replaced I noticed that the clutch behaved differently, when the car is warm there is approx. 30-40% free play on the clutch before I can start to feel any clutch resistance! This was not the case prior to any clutch problems and I could always feel resistance from the top of the clutch.

The garage that did the work could not diagnose the issue and reassured me that the clutch was pressure bled and that it could be the flywheel or the master cylinder failing. My car has only covered 36,000 miles and the biting point is always spot on (doesn't change), the gears go in fine so I would be surprised if it was the clutch itself.

Anyway, I then had a friend (works for Audi) fit a new master cylinder for me and the problem with the free play is still there!

I am totally baffled by this problem, any advice on this topic would be very much appreciated?

Thank you in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A3 2.0TDi hydraulic clutch - free play (top of clutch) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RavP View Post
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there's anyone that might be able to shed some light on a hydraulic clutch problem I'm having?

Initially, my car showed symptoms of a clutch problem where the clutch was going down when pressed but would not release itself again and the gearbox would stay stuck in gear, I could only lift the clutch with the use of my foot underneath it and then change (release) gears!

I then took my car into an independent mechanic who informed me that one of their master techs have said that it was the clutch slave cylinder in the bell house, common problem on the 6spd gearbox? Having had the slave cylinder replaced I noticed that the clutch behaved differently, when the car is warm there is approx. 30-40% free play on the clutch before I can start to feel any clutch resistance! This was not the case prior to any clutch problems and I could always feel resistance from the top of the clutch.

The garage that did the work could not diagnose the issue and reassured me that the clutch was pressure bled and that it could be the flywheel or the master cylinder failing. My car has only covered 36,000 miles and the biting point is always spot on (doesn't change), the gears go in fine so I would be surprised if it was the clutch itself.

Anyway, I then had a friend (works for Audi) fit a new master cylinder for me and the problem with the free play is still there!

I am totally baffled by this problem, any advice on this topic would be very much appreciated?

Thank you in advance
    Anyone????

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A3 2.0TDi hydraulic clutch - free play (top of clutch) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    In correct grade of brake fluid.CHECK.

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A3 2.0TDi hydraulic clutch - free play (top of clutch) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes, Dot 4 If I'm not mistaken. The garage that did the original slave cylinder replacement is looking to drop the gearbox again today and fit a SACHS concentric slave cylinder as opposed to the LUK that they had fitted. Let's see .....

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A3 2.0TDi hydraulic clutch - free play (top of clutch) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    fingers crossed.

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A3 2.0TDi hydraulic clutch - free play (top of clutch) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f927 View Post
    fingers crossed.
    Update: New slave cylinder (original Audi) fitted by the garage and there is still amount of free play evident (approx. 1.5"), at the top of the pedal. The strange thing about it is that it was fine when I drove the car home from the garage, I wonder if the self-adjustment on the clutch is making this adjustment? Am I correct in thinking that there is no adjustment that can be made manually on a hydraulic operated clutch?

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A3 2.0TDi hydraulic clutch - free play (top of clutch) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Its not easy trying to bleed clutch system because there is a critical point where its just right and it takes couple of hours to get it perfected.Now when someone else is doing the work other than yourself they will spend limited time,after that,thats it.
    Self adjustment,when clutch wears,the slave cylinder built with the clutch bearing takes up the wear but having play could be due to clutch being slightly worn.
    There is no adjustment on the clutch when feed is taken directly from brake reservoir .

0 0 0