Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi all,

When I got my car back a couple of months ago following an all-round tyre change and brake fluid service, I had a report of the brakes being down to 25% Recently they've started to grind a bit - possible it's just grit stuck as I've not washed it for a couple of weeks but I know the pads and most likely discs will need replacing fairly soon as I'm doing more and more local driving and so more braking.

What are the current owners of the A7 doing in regards to brakes? I'm not hands-on although looking at the few videos there are, it doesnt seem a huge job in replacing them? And if so, what are the recommendations for discs/pads in terms of brand?

If it is an issue as a DIY job, any recommendations in where to get it down (I'm in the Guildford area).
    I have had a quote from Audi and it's nearing a £1000 which after a £1200 tyre cost, I'm not liking :- )

Thanks all
    Audi A7 Black Edition 3.0 TDI (272) 2015 (FL)

0 0 0

2. Re: Brakes - Audi or Indy or other? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi - I have been looking myself as I think my pads have only few thousand more miles left in them before they require changing. Mine in a 64 plate 2WD with 45K on the clock.

Firstly I will probably only change the pads all around as it will be very unlikely that the discs will need doing as they are in good order, smooth and even.

Secondly I will undertake the work myself as it is pretty straight forward.

I think the OEM pads are Brembo and looking online you are about £100 for a full set for the front and back. It is worth buying top quality pads as braking is never a part you should skimp on. Eurocar parts or car parts for less etc via a search on the net will bring up some options.

Dealers will tell you every time that they need doing as they are X percent worn but why do them before they need doing? The original pad thickness is about 17-19mm thick so if you have a close look at them you will get an idea of how much pad is left.

If it still in warranty you may wish to consider the implications of going outside of the main dealer network.

If they are grinding it is probably grit or something similar and a good jet wash should clear the problem but if it continues or is from both axles it could be the pads are worn.

0 0 0

3. Re: Brakes - Audi or Indy or other? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    A7 has wear indicators, front and back, nearside only though (if no

I did it myself with OEM pads.

Few tips:

- a tool to push the pots in helps as the new pads will be thicker.
    - Fronts are easy.
    - rears need VCDS for the electronic parking brake (alternatively remove that too but that's more work and I wouldn't recommend)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Brakes - Audi or Indy or other? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Agree with Jaynana on the rears as VCDS will be required to motor the pistons back. The fronts are much easier. I had to do my front wheel bearing recently and there was still a fair bit of friction left after £110k miles. Incidently, in March MOT the Audi dealer said that the pads were worn. That was 15k miles ago, so I will get about 120k out of my front and more from the rears. I will be replacing them with "EBC ceramic Red Stuff". A brittish made pad that produces less dust.

http://www.ebcbrakes-webshop.co.uk/v...rm=&pid=985177

Allow £200 for original front discs and about £100 for the front pads.
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

5. Re: Brakes - Audi or Indy or other? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies all and apologies for the delay. I put this on hold until the wash and it's improved a little but noise is still there somewhat.

If the originals are Brembo, is Eurocarparts not a good bet? They have both front and rears in-stock and currently with their sale, it ends up being £95 for both front and rear:
    |Car PartsRetailer
    |Car PartsRetailer

Thoughts?

Is there a how to for the changes? I have VCDS so no issues there

0 0 0

6. Re: Brakes - Audi or Indy or other? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    fronts are straight forward and if you pm me your email address I will send you the rear procedure

0 0 0

7. Re: Brakes - Audi or Indy or other? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Hear dthe EBC red stuff is the best one to go for with more bite and less dust
    RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics Brakes and lots more.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

8. Re: Brakes - Audi or Indy or other? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I've seen mixed reviews on those - on one hand they're very good and on another they almost killed the driver - ok maybe slightly OTT but you get the point.
    I suppose thats like anything. The dust has been generally ok with the Audi ones manily as I do coat the wheels in Gtechniq C5 Alloy Wheel Armour so with the weekly or even monthly washes, whatever does end up sticking rinses off.
    And I guess the braking has not ever let me down either but you can never have braking that is too good.

I had a look just now but all the official EBC resellers including ebc themselves only seem to show pads for the pre-FL A7's and not the new 272 and 333 engines

0 0 0

9. Re: Brakes - Audi or Indy or other? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Give them a call and they can advise. Did the driver you mentioned try to eat or smoke the pads.

0 0 0