1. Audi A4 B7 2.0 Tdi 170 shakey engine/judder on idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there I have an Audi B7 2.0 tdi and I’ve noticed quite a bad judder when the car is idling. This happens just when it is starting to warm up but generally stops, or I can’t feel it, when it’s at working temp.
    It feels like the car is getting buffeted by wind. Sometimes it’s constant, sometimes it’s not.
    Now I know the timing belt has been changed by a third party garage. Could the timing be slightly out?

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A4 B7 2.0 Tdi 170 shakey engine/judder on idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok. Looks like it’s a bit quiet on here. Gonna have a go at adjusting the Torsion setting using VCDS.

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A4 B7 2.0 Tdi 170 shakey engine/judder on idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    No codes?
    Could be a bad injector?

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A4 B7 2.0 Tdi 170 shakey engine/judder on idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, no error codes. The injectors are showing healthy with no misfires or error codes either although I’m not ruling them out. I’m a total amateur when using VCDS so any help would be much appreciated thanks.

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi A4 B7 2.0 Tdi 170 shakey engine/judder on idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is also quite smelly at times- could be connected?

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A4 B7 2.0 Tdi 170 shakey engine/judder on idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I don't know your engine but there are lots of things that wouldn't show on VCDS - its probably time for old fashioned mechanics investigation. Here's a good checklist... Troubleshoot Diesel Engine Problems

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi A4 B7 2.0 Tdi 170 shakey engine/judder on idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2005 B7 with the BLB engine. It has had a lumpy idle ever since I bought it. Originally it felt like the engine could die any second when at idle (RPMs didn't really fluctuate though). It was also often a bit hard to start after sitting for long (sometimes you would have to crank it for longer, other times it hesitated at 5-600 RPMs and feeling like it was running on 3 cylinders or something until it finally caught the 900 RPM idle). First we changed the injector seals because the engine oil was smelling of diesel, which almost always means your injector seals need changing. The engine sound became a little softer after that but the lumpy idle remained. My mechanic mentioned that after changing the seals, he was almost unable to start up the car, it took like 5-6 tries before it finally coughed to life again. Here we started suspecting the in-tank fuel pump. We hooked up a pressure meter and lo and behold, it was only pushing 0.3 bar instead of the 0.7-0.9 that it should, and after stopping the engine, it would instantly let go of the pressure (the reason for the long cranking starts was clear at this point). We changed the fuel pump, and the lumpiness of the idle was reduced by like ~75%, it's much more tolerable now, but it's still not gone, and I'm still having weird starts sometimes, which is probably going to be one of my injectors, but I'm not touching them until it becomes worse because that's some serious $$$ and I already put way more money in the car than what I would've liked.

My case may not be related to your problem, lumpy idle with these 2.0 TDIs can be caused by a ton of different things, just wanted to share my story with it.

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A4 B7 2.0 Tdi 170 shakey engine/judder on idle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to close this thread. I got it sorted by Avon Tuning who adjusted the cam timings slightly. The smell has gone and the lumpy idle is gone. Thanks for all your help.

0 0 0