Notices

User Tag List

Thread: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robes401 View Post
    I too used to never hold the car on the brake partly for this reason, however the A6 start-stop relies on you holding the car on the brake - i.e. the engine cuts in again as soon as you release the brake pedal, and I'm not going to shift into P every time I stop. If start stop doesn't activate I release the brake pedal and the car is held on hill-hold and the brake lights switch off. On our TTS the brake lights stay on with hill-hold even after the brake pedal is released (regardless of whether start-stop is activated), i.e. the car will always display the brake lights when stationary until the accelerator pedal is pressed.

The advantage of the TTS system over the A6 is that once stopped and the engine has switched off due too the start-stop system, you don't have to sit there with your foot on the brake. Maybe the newer A6s are like this too? Mine is a pre-facelift ultra.
    If I take my foot off the pedal the engine will stay off until I dab the throttle or move the steering wheel.

0 0 0

2. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayNana View Post
    Kind similar, it's that era of cars.

They forgot that the whole purpose of the auto brake-hold was to take the foot 'off' the pedal

Anyways not an issue for me as I'm not a fan of the engine start-stop.

Brake just enough to stop, brake-hold activates, foot off the pedal before engine stops. - this part is as designed - user manual talka about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used VCDS to set my stop/start to remember the last state it was in. So mine is switched off, but not deactivated. It means it can still be operated from the switch if I want
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 0 0

3. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I'm convinced that the little man in the roof lining who operates the HBA camera on mine also works both the gearbox and start-stop systems. He's either colour blind, aged or just taking the pi$$ as he seems to delight in both preempting the traffic lights and being tardy with the full beam switch by half a second each time. I keep trying to reverse over him but his reaction time then suggests he's sponsored by Red Bull.
    MY2014 A6 allroad 245PS, my 8th Audi in 20 years - all quattros. 15th VAG car (incl 2 used ones).

0 0 0

4. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darich View Post
    I used VCDS to set my stop/start to remember the last state it was in. So mine is switched off, but not deactivated. It means it can still be operated from the switch if I want
    Yup... mine is off by default (VCDS) and I have not switched it on in the last 4+ years. Start / Stop is a waste of time unless you are stuck in a heinous traffic jam for hours. It really saves very little fuel based on all the reading around I've done, adds wear and tear to starter motor, battery etc., and is just a plain annoyance.
    People can save more fuel by looking ahead and backing off on the throttle when they need to slow down instead of roaring up to intersections and slamming the brakes on.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 1 0

5. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgroucho View Post
    Yup... mine is off by default (VCDS) and I have not switched it on in the last 4+ years. Start / Stop is a waste of time unless you are stuck in a heinous traffic jam for hours. It really saves very little fuel based on all the reading around I've done, adds wear and tear to starter motor, battery etc., and is just a plain annoyance.
    People can save more fuel by looking ahead and backing off on the throttle when they need to slow down instead of roaring up to intersections and slamming the brakes on.
    I can drive from my house to office car park and if the motorway is clear (it is about 90% of the time) I can do the entire commute without stopping if I get a little luck at the few lights and roundabouts on the journey.

So the stop start isn't much use to me

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't know its possible to switch it off. I agree any saving in fuel will never cover the cost of a new starter motor.
    How can i get it done ??

0 0 0

7. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Well you can manually switch stop / start off using the button on the dashboard every time you start the car (I did that for quite a while) or you can find someone with VCDS who will help you to do it - instructions in the VCDS sticky at the top of the forum. If you look in the VCDS sticky at the top of the forum there is also a locator to help you find people who have offered help with using VCDS... Cost of a pint or whatever

EDIT: Incidentally what you do with VCDS is to switch the default state from ON to OFF - you can still hit the switch to turn Start/Stop on if desired. I think it might also be possible to program it to remember the last state - so if it was off when the ignition was turned off it will be off when you restart etc.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

8. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    EDIT: Incidentally what you do with VCDS is to switch the default state from ON to OFF - you can still hit the switch to turn Start/Stop on if desired. I think it might also be possible to program it to remember the last state - so if it was off when the ignition was turned off it will be off when you restart etc.
    this is what I did....so it still works, but since I switched it off, it stays off.
    But I can switch it back on quite easily if I want

0 0 0

9. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by darich View Post
    this is what I did....so it still works, but since I switched it off, it stays off.
    But I can switch it back on quite easily if I want
    Anyone in S Wales able to do this for me?

0 0 0

10. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
    Anyone in S Wales able to do this for me?
    Check the vcds users section. You might find someone close to you there. I'd do it for you mate....but south Wales to Glasgow is a little inconvenient!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

0 1 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast