Notices

User Tag List

Thread: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I use the auto brake. Light foot on the brake engages the auto brake but keeps the engine running. Push a bit firmer and the stop start kicks in. I only do the firm push to stop the engine if the wait is going to be a longer one.

What I won’t do is sit with my foot on the brake pedal blinding people behind - it’s not good for the brakes and (as pointed out above) is really antisocial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VW Passat GT 4 Motion 2.0 BiTdi, '16MY in Midnight Blue, keyless entry, memory seats, active info display and Discover Nav Pro
    Audi A7 20MY Vorsprung 3.0tdi in Daytona grey, with optional rear cup holders! (Previously A7 16my S Line)

0 0 0

2. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Cap View Post
    I use the auto brake. Light foot on the brake engages the auto brake but keeps the engine running. Push a bit firmer and the stop start kicks in. I only do the firm push to stop the engine if the wait is going to be a longer one.

What I won’t do is sit with my foot on the brake pedal blinding people behind - it’s not good for the brakes and (as pointed out above) is really antisocial!

But when the engine is off due to start stop and you release the brake does the brake light stay on? On our TTS is does and in our A6 the engine comes back on as soon as you release the bake (both automatics).

0 0 0

3. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robes401 View Post
    But when the engine is off due to start stop and you release the brake does the brake light stay on? On our TTS is does and in our A6 the engine comes back on as soon as you release the bake (both automatics).
    No when the start stop is on when I take my foot off the brake the engine stays off and the brake light goes off.

I had a Jaguar XE loan car once that did what you described and it was infuriating!

Do you have the electronic handbrake set to auto engage? And do you have hill hold engaged?! Not sure why the A6 should be different as it is basically the same as the A7.

VW Passat GT 4 Motion 2.0 BiTdi, '16MY in Midnight Blue, keyless entry, memory seats, active info display and Discover Nav Pro
    Audi A7 20MY Vorsprung 3.0tdi in Daytona grey, with optional rear cup holders! (Previously A7 16my S Line)

0 0 0

4. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Cap View Post
    Do you have the electronic handbrake set to auto engage? And do you have hill hold engaged?! Not sure why the A6 should be different as it is basically the same as the A7.
    Not sure what you mean by have the handbrake auto engage? I have the hill hold engaged which on the A6 holds the car with the brake lights off, but on the TT holds the car with the brake lights on! I’d be very happy if I could sit without my brake lights on!

(Ps OP sorry for going off on a tangent)

0 0 0

5. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I’ve unfortunately got a 520d touring whilst my A6 is getting repaired.

Every time I start the BMW I have to turn on the auto break as it doesn’t remember it - the same with the heated seats. It doesn’t seem to remember any of the settings from the last time you turned the engine off.

It’s so annoying!

0 0 0

6. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
    I’ve unfortunately got a 520d touring whilst my A6 is getting repaired.

Every time I start the BMW I have to turn on the auto break as it doesn’t remember it - the same with the heated seats. It doesn’t seem to remember any of the settings from the last time you turned the engine off.

It’s so annoying!

My A7 wouldn't remember auto brake-hold, haven't managed to code it via VCDS either

Former BMW (X5) did remember a lot of things incl heated seat settings (no brake-hold, had a manual hand brake).

0 0 0

7. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robes401 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by have the handbrake auto engage? I have the hill hold engaged which on the A6 holds the car with the brake lights off, but on the TT holds the car with the brake lights on! I’d be very happy if I could sit without my brake lights on!

(Ps OP sorry for going off on a tangent)
    My car (2014 a6) has auto handbrake. When I stop it automatically engages and allows me to release the foot brake. I get a green handbrake icon on my dash. And I can sit at lights without holding the foot brake.
    Pressing the gas auto releases it.

It may be an auto on my feature or limited to some models.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 0 0

8. Re: S-Tronic - do you engage N on traffic lights? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    The auto brake thing is one of the features that does (or can be made to) remember the setting when the car was last switched off. Mine does (as standard) but I think some had to have VCDS tweaks to make it happen. I leave mine off.... There are suggestions that auto-brake and also not disengaging the electronic handbrake before pulling away can contribute to significant increase in rear brake pad / disc wear. True? I don't know but I managed without auto brake for donkeys years and switching the electronic handbrake off before I pull away is no different to releasing a mechanical handbrake (apart from the lack of a minor left arm workout).

The other stuff that is "remember" between starts seems to vary. I think more of it is switched on in VCDS by default on later builds - at least that is the impression I get. I know my allroad was remembering stuff that saloons / avant built around the same time did not - auto brake for example.

Mine also remembers drivers heated seat settings "forever", but passenger settings (front and rear) it only remembers for 10 or 15 mins.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123