1. ABS light on, have VCDS codes, some help needed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi folks, this isn't a Golf but thought this was the best place to post as very similar to one. Anyway, the car is a Skoda Octavia 2007 Mk1 1.9L.

I changed the front wheel bearing on the Right front wheel and forgot to reconnect the Abs sensor, so the Abs + traction lights came on upon test driving the car afterwards. Then I remembered I had forgotten the sensor so I connected it and drove the car again and the lights went off themselves then and I thought that's great, all ok again.

However, the car was driven about 10 miles the next day and parked and then on the way home about 5 miles into the return trip the abs light and traction control lights came on again and stayed on for rest of trip. Over the next few days they continued to come on after a short period driving and go out upon switching the car off and come back on 5 mins into the next trip. I think the Abs light is permenantly lit now though.

I had the hub off the car to press in the bearing etc,,, but I didn't need to physically remove the sensor and didn't think I damaged it. It's definitely connected properly.

I ran VCDS on it today and got the following 4 fault codes:
    00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)
    012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermitttent
    00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
    008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
    012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent

I also checked the measuring blocks for wheel speed and both the Right front and Right rear sensors register a speed when I spin the wheels by hand so does this mean the sensors are ok?

What's the best way to proceed from here, do I clear the 4 Abs codes for starters and then read the codes again and see what ones come back? I'm assuming the 3 codes relating to the rear wheel are old codes and the Right front is relevant as thats the bearing I changed.

0 0 0

2. Re: ABS light on, have VCDS codes, some help needed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is a coincidence, you can see your initial connection error but the problem is at the back. Now imagine if you were just a normal driver and had this work done at a garage and then this happened, you would think it was their fault and feel you were being had but this sort of thing happens all the time. Last year I changed a wheel bearing on the rear of a customers Golf 5 due to sensor ring rust and a few weeks later the light came on again, it was the other side. I showed him the code for the previous time which said one side then the other but I could tell he thought I was ripping him off.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: ABS light on, have VCDS codes, some help needed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Crasher - Cheers for the info of your experience, I can see how it can get awkward trying to explain to customers all right.

If we put it down to coincidence then and I focus on the rear right wheel what is my next move? Check the rear sensor physically or clear all the codes first and see if any come back. My rear wheel registered a speed via Vcds though so does this mean the sensor is intermittent? Maybe if I drive the car with the wheel speed measuring blocks active i could check all 4 wheels show the same speeds at the same time.

Is it strange to have 3 different codes relating to 1 sensor, they seem to cover every possibility which is not helping to narrow down the problem like I thought they would.
    Last edited by tdiblacky; 03-12-2017 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

0 0 0

4. Re: ABS light on, have VCDS codes, some help needed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I cleared the codes and all 4 cleared and the abs light went off.

I then brought it for a little spin and just as i turned back into my road the Abs light came back on. I read the codes again and only 1 was found:
    012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent

I then set it to measuring blocks regards the wheel speed sensors and drove it on another little spin, all 4 readings were the reading the same for the 3 mins to the top of my road and as soon as I turned onto the main road the Rear Right stopped registering any speed at all. I drove on and came back and the rear wheel never registered a speed for the rest of my little trip.

@ Crasher - Looks like you were spot on with your theory of it being the rear sensor.
    My next question now is do I check for a wiring problem or just replace the sensor? Sensors are cheap so I might as well just replace the rear sensor, but if I can narrow it down to specifically the sensor or the wiring that'd be great. I'm only new to VCDS and am still experiementing / learning with it but its prooving to be very useful so far.

0 0 0

5. Re: ABS light on, have VCDS codes, some help needed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    you might find the reluctor ring has corroded out of the hub and rubbed the sensor tip. I saw this on a rear golf hub on a pals car a while back.

0 0 0

6. Re: ABS light on, have VCDS codes, some help needed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I think you will find it is just a faulty rear sensor, the sender ring on the Octavia 1 (yours is a very late one, I don't see many) is like a Golf 4 so rust damaged to the ring is not a problem like it is on the Golf 5 and Octavia 2 which use the same parts. You will probably really struggle to get the old sensor out but better access by removing the rear wheel bearing destroys the bearing.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: ABS light on, have VCDS codes, some help needed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Ok, little update, I removed the sensor, was bit awkward, seized in, had to burn it out by melting a bit of the plastic and then punching it out with the disc off, etc..

Anyway, fitted the new sensor tonight and I'm not sure if I've the air gap correct, the ring had tiny bit of rust on it, I scraped it off with a screw driver. But my sensor touches the ring, should it, if not how do I adjust it so it doesn't? When I spin the hub ring I can see / hear it touch the sensor.

It was awkward fitting the new sensor, it didn't want to go in so I sand papered the hole to rid it of some rust etc and then got it to go in as a tight fit. To set the air gap do I loosen the bolt and try pull the sensor up from the ring with a pliers on the back of the sensor and then tighten the bolt when in the desired position?

0 0 0

8. Re: ABS light on, have VCDS codes, some help needed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    It must not touch the ring and you shouldnt have to adjust the gap, it should push in bolt up and thats it. Are you sure you have the correct sensor. Sounds like its too long.

0 0 0

9. Re: ABS light on, have VCDS codes, some help needed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The problem isn't that its too long (it the rear sensor im doing, not the front). If the front sensor is too long it will touch the ring, the rear set-up is different. It more of a problem with the sensor sittng too low in the hole and is "resting" too low on the ring, it needs to lift up a bit.

I bought a sensor of brand Meat & Doria.

I took it apart again and pryed the sensor up a little with a screwdriver to push it further up from the ring and tightened the bolt in that position but it seemed to go back to where it was. I then twisted the sensor a little and seemed to have gotten more of a gap now, its not obviously touching like it was. I pulled the other wheel / disc off to see what that looks like in comparison and a tiny bit more of a gap would be nice in order to match it.

I googled the part number and its the correct sensor I have.

0 0 0