1. First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Had our first snow this year and was quite impressed with grip ( I'm running cross climate 2 tyres) but found the braking poor on deep snow. Not sure if it's just cross climate tyres not being close to winter tyres (was running T850 continentals on my passat and stopping was massivly Better) or just wider tyres. You can't seem to be able to turn abs off like my original UR quattro I used to have. Apart from that had huge fun playing in empty car park, feels odd having to accelerate to get best grip lol

0 0 0

2. Re: First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quattro is awesome in the snow.

But always remember.....it's really only beneficial for traction pulling away or uphill....you can't defy physics. So cornering isn't any better and braking only marginally better.
    It's easy to get drawn into thinking you have loads of grip.....you do....but only in certain circumstances.

I remember almost getting caught out years ago when I got ABS for the first time. Mentally....I was thinking...I can't spin the car out. But of course you can - if you're going too fast.
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 1 0

3. Re: First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I got caught out with my UR QUATTRO. It took off in snow like it was dry but slid for about 1/4 of mile when trying to stop lol. Like you say laws of physics still apply. I was just a bit shocked today of stopping distance compared to my passat. I don't think wide tyres help stopping in snow, I dropped a few sizes on passat but don't think I would like to drive this with 205 rubber!

0 1 0

4. Re: First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    It's so easy to get caught up in the moment with loads of grip.....until you approach that corner then realise you've as much grip as the next person with 2wd.
    A6 C7 Saloon 3.0Tdi Quattro S Line | 242bhp | Quartz Grey
    2016 Triumph Street Triple | 106bhp | Pearl White
    VCDS owner - Lanarkshire Area. PM Me if you need help.

0 0 0

5. Re: First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Best advice drive to the conditions dont think that 4wd will make you immune to the laws of physics. think on it as 2wd drive and you cant go wrong. 4wd will help when its needed...

2014 Andi 3.0 V6 TDi S-Line Quattro
    Full LeatherIHeated SeatsIElectric SeatsISunroofIMatt Brushed Aluminium InlaysIBi-Xenon HeadlightsIRear Park AssistIBluetooth

0 1 0

6. Re: First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    As has been said Quattro is great for getting you moving but does little for your stopping. This is when the winter tyres come into their own.

The mistake of some 4x4 drivers is to forget that all four wheels can skid and the 4x4 makes them immune. It has often been said that a front wheel drive car with winter rubber will out perform a 4x4 on summer rubber in winter conditions.

I have Cross Climates on the Passat and they have performed well. On the A7 i have Nokians but they haven’t really been tested in anger yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VW Passat GT 4 Motion 2.0 BiTdi, '16MY in Midnight Blue, keyless entry, memory seats, active info display and Discover Nav Pro
    Audi A7 20MY Vorsprung 3.0tdi in Daytona grey, with optional rear cup holders! (Previously A7 16my S Line)

0 0 0

7. Re: First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Someone said that quattro does not help cornering. I disagree, it is much easier - with throttle you can drive to direction where you really want. Just be sure that the radius might be bigger. With gas you can force the traction where YOU wan't, not the physics.

It is same when going slowly downhill on a curved path with electrically controlled 4x4, the rear is not involved and does not help at all because there is no pull needed. Try with Volvo or BMW, you feel the diff. Mechanical quattro is always in force and helps all the time even in coasting (being twice in Audi winter driving school...). If you are slipping to a ditch, quattro might get back to the road but with two-wheel drive only possibility is to go further in to the forest or shorter by just letting it stop by itself with all the damn power reductions etc.

You just need to be a bit brave or experienced. I don't recall myself to be but knowing the theory helps. I try to find the old video to show tricks. One special is to drive around an icy ring (do not try in roundabout!) with nose directly to the center with steady half gas, 2nd gear and continuos 4-wheel drifting. With just a little practice you can fully control the car. It is the quattro fun!

0 1 0

8. Re: First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    How are you guys finding the cross climate tyres? Noise/comfort/grip etc
    Been looking at these for the Mrs as I’m getting lazy in my old age and can’t be bothered swapping tyres/wheels. She’s got a small suv and not as heavy or powerful as the A6 so thought it might be ok for her as she drives like miss daisy all day.
    Read a lot of reviews saying it’s aimed more summer than winter. There are others from good year/Nokian etc.

0 0 0

9. Re: First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Best bet for slowing down is to anticipate WAY ahead and use as much engine braking as you can - use the paddles and drop a gear or two. Keeps the ABS out of the way. Just add a bit of braking where you need to and cadence braking when it's more immediate stopping.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

10. Re: First day driving quattro in snow 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diecastsink View Post
    You just need to be a bit brave or experienced. I don't recall myself to be but knowing the theory helps. I try to find the old video to show tricks. One special is to drive around an icy ring (do not try in roundabout!) with nose directly to the center with steady half gas, 2nd gear and continuos 4-wheel drifting. With just a little practice you can fully control the car. It is the quattro fun!
    In autos stick it in dynamic as that will hold gears instead of shifting mid drift and dynamic allows a level of slip in the traction control so you can look a bit like a pro 😄

Big empty car park works well. Just remember the A6 is a 2 ton bus so takes more effort to correct/direct, simple laws of physics, big heavy object will require more effort to change direction. As said don’t attempt this on public roads as kerbs and people around when you get it wrong.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast