Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gav28uk View Post
    I must admit I am very tempted to get a set, was looking at a new set from MrWinterWheels for £800, they were for 18" so you've got a bargain. I have the 20" rims at the moment, running summers, but with my S-Line I have Brembos on the front so think I can get away with 17" rims from what I've read elsewhere.
    Just looking at my 18s winter on my 272. There’s about a 1 inch gap between calliper and wheel. Depending on the design of the wheel 17s might be a struggle.

0 0 0

2. Re: Winter Tyres Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    Just looking at my 18s winter on my 272. There’s about a 1 inch gap between calliper and wheel. Depending on the design of the wheel 17s might be a struggle.
    Hmm, well I am hopeful that they will fit :-) The door sticker shows 17" wheels will fit and also MrWinterWheels also say 17" wheels will fit and they guarantee it. The wheels I've just decided to buy are Audi Originals from ebay.de so I will find out very shortly!
    Audi A6 Avant 2019 Black Edition, C8, 3.0TFSI S Tronic. Tech Pack, Parking Pack, Tow Bar, Tour pack.

0 0 0

3. Re: Winter Tyres Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Mine have just arrived this morning ❄️❄️

0 1 0

4. Re: Winter Tyres Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The smallest wheel my Allroad BiTDI will take is 18"

0 0 0

5. Re: Winter Tyres Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    The smallest wheel my Allroad BiTDI will take is 18"
    Think the bitdi has 356mm discs and the 272 has 340

0 0 0

6. Re: Winter Tyres Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgroucho View Post
    more granular tread pattern (more smaller chunks of tyre with more tread) and the softer compound - more likely to overheat at very high speeds.
    You're right. Softer compound moves and (over)heats more quickly, plus more open pattern (aka "land/sea ratio") doesn't make for easy interlocking of tread blocks in design. "M+S" nomenclature ONLY means >20% "sea" irrespective of compound! i.e. tyres are self-cleaning. Nothing to do with suitability for winter but obviously any good winter tyre is more than likely to have this sort of ratio so gets the "M+S" label.

Snow on the tyre grips snow on the road, and the zig-zag sipes collect snow at a micro level thus aiding traction.

The economics of what the car manufacturers and tyre OEMs homologate is based on different criteria to what we as users should consider. For prestige marques over 60% of drivers are sufficiently influenced to replace like for like, so although there will be some difference somewhere (compound/pattern/pitch etc.) the smaller batches should always command a premium from an "A0" mould.

Everything's a compromise though as the V rated all-seasons on mine scored really bad at low tread depths but are superb in proper winter conditions above the 2mm they were tested appallingly at. I bought them for the slightly longer Scottish winter season with a long window of use further South. I fit my originals for peak summer May-Sep. Michelin seem to have a better balance despite it not being classed as all-season. Proper winters don't really need more than an H rating and I'd be concerned way before hitting 130.
    Last edited by Splash; 07-12-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: snow on snow
    MY2014 A6 allroad 245PS, my 8th Audi in 20 years - all quattros. 15th VAG car (incl 2 used ones).

0 0 0

7. Re: Winter Tyres Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks Splash. Not sure I understood all of that but some ineteresting insight “snow grips snow”.

At the end of the day Quattro with some “better” winter rubber should mean more traction than all the rear wheel drive BMWs... so more traction than you can probably use before the road ahead is blocked by someone else going sideways on a gentle slope.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

8. Re: Winter Tyres Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Wasn't meant to sound like it was aimed at you; your logic just prompted my evangelism. Hopefully the snow/snow bit makes more sense now. Local again btw!
    MY2014 A6 allroad 245PS, my 8th Audi in 20 years - all quattros. 15th VAG car (incl 2 used ones).

0 0 0

9. Re: Winter Tyres Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Hmm, well I am hopeful that they will fit :-) The door sticker shows 17" wheels will fit and also MrWinterWheels also say 17" wheels will fit and they guarantee it. The wheels I've just decided to buy are Audi Originals from ebay.de so I will find out very shortly!
    Well my 17" rims within winter tyres arrived today, happy to report they fit and are looking good, in fact considering they replaced my 20" rims, they don't look that bad at all :-)
    Audi A6 Avant 2019 Black Edition, C8, 3.0TFSI S Tronic. Tech Pack, Parking Pack, Tow Bar, Tour pack.

0 0 0

10. Re: Winter Tyres Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Well my 17" rims within winter tyres arrived today, happy to report they fit and are looking good, in fact considering they replaced my 20" rims, they don't look that bad at all :-)
    You will notice a much better fuel consumption and more comfort too.
    My fuel economy has went up almost 20% going from 19-18

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast