Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not much progress with this. Turns out the Owner's Manual doesn't cater for right hand drive vehicles, and the fuses they say are on the right side of the dash are actually on the left, and vice versa. I'd seen some substantial fuses under the right panel, where the 'supplementary heater' fuse was supposed to be, but it's actually on the left and rated at only 5A, so less than 60W, which would be useless. When you think of it, why would anyone fit an electric heater to a car with aircon? When I was at work, we had aircon in the office, and it worked in reverse in the winter, heating the air istead of cooling it. My guess is that's why the aircon comes on automatically when you select the de-icing function. There's certainly no substantial fuse, and if an auxiliary heater were to be fitted, I'm guessing it would require at least 50-60 amps for any worthwhile benefit, and that would require a relay with circuit breaker rather than a fuse.
    You can see the level of debris under the cover, but not much had got through to the filter, although as it's not long since it was serviced (cheaply, by the lease company's choice, and not at a dealer), I suspect they didn't bother replacing it. I just knocked the dirt off it and stuck it back in. It's grey ln both sides, so I'm assuming that's charcoal impregnation, and not dirt...
    leaves by bancquo, on Flickr
    leaves2 by bancquo, on Flickr
    cabin filter by bancquo, on Flickr
    For future reference for anyone who needs one, it's a Mann CU 2450
    Mann CU2450 by bancquo, on Flickr

Think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and try switching the de-icer back on, and see what happens (or never use it again would be another option)
    Really appreciate everyones' help so far.

0 0 0

2. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The filter shown should be white, that looks like it has never been replaced?
    The Technician

0 0 0

3. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No. I don't think kit has, although I don't know what the service intervals are for it.
    Car has done 40,000 miles and has had two services.
    Either way, it's not the cause of the smoke...

0 0 0

4. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    That's a pretty choked up plenum !! the cabin filter is also dirty, really poor quality servicing if they don't change the pollen filter on a two yearly service and you say the car has just recently been in for a service - it should be white when new, as said by the technician. you need to clean that plenum to avoid the water drains getting blocked and flooding the plenum, also suggest you go to annual 10k services if you intend to keep the car.
    Not saying your car definitely has an electric heater but here's on on fleabay as example, the idea is it gives you almost instant heat to the screen instead of waiting for engine coolant to warm up, AC come on to dehumidify the air going to the screen to demist the screen quicker than blowing saturated air onto the screen, it doesn't act as a heat pump as you describe was used in the office.
    AUDI A5 8T / A4 B8 ELECTRIC AUXILIARY HEATER MATRIX ELEMENT 8K0819011 | eBay

0 0 0

5. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Dpf??
    Quote "My tuner told me after he fitted the box that 0-60 should be around 2.6 seconds! "

0 0 0

6. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that Rob; I'm wondering if that heater comes with an optional winter pack; I seem to remember (it was four years ago though) that there was an option for that, but don't quote me. Not sure how else to find out if it has one...
    I already hoovered out the area under the cover (that's why I had the cover off) and hosed it down to make sure it's draining OK. I see I can get a pattern cabin filter for under a tenner on eBay, and even the Mann one isn't too dear.
    The car was supplied by Days Contract Hire, and hasn't been near a dealer except for a recall. They used a Bosch Service Centre, and I doubt they did much to it except the bare minimum. Cheapskates. Thanks for the info on the aircon; not often I'm right, but looks like I'm wrong again...
    Last edited by banquo; 28-11-2017 at 11:11 AM.

0 0 0

7. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I'd say as a quick check to see if you have one and it still works start up the car on a cold morning and switch on the demister setting and see if you get heat through in a few seconds rather than minutes. I'm not familiar with your car as I exist several years further down the food chain carwise (2005 passat) but maybe you have some sort of display showing heater settings or maybe its described in your handbook.

0 0 0

8. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Rob; I'm busy trawling the handbook and Google, but no luck so far. I've used the de-icer in the winter for the past 4 years, and it does take a while to work, but that's not to say it wouldn't take longer if it didn't have an extra heater, so that's not much help unless we know for certain. There's just one button for the de-icer. It lights up, the aircon comes on, and the fan starts slow, and speeds up as the air warms up. I'll keep you posted, and thanks again.

0 0 0

9. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Suggest you check for any codes.
    I had a cable harness inside the door short circuit, which was melting the wire insulation and smouldering, which showed up as multiple codes. This was caused by the window glass continually falling on to the harness and damaging the insulation. I put this down to my fault when I had replaced the window regulator and probably failed to correctly relocate the loom. Unlikely to be your problem, unless you have had any door work done lately!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

10. Re: Smoke/Burning smell in the cabin - 63 Plate A4 2.0 TDie SE Teknik - A/C maybe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No work done, apart from a minor dent removal on the lower front sill, behind the wheel arch, and certainly nothing going on in the doors.
    How do you check for codes?

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast