Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Evening guys and gals.

Had the brake pad warning come on my A6 Bitdi tonight. It's only done 9k .

Front pads look ok, but one of the rears looks more worn than the other side.

I do make full use of the brakes but this would be a new record for going through pads! I've never had pads last less than 20k even with the way I drive.

If I replace these pads, would it be worth going for a different brand to hopefully get better life? If so, any recommendations? Or do I just try to get Audi to price match with standard fitment pads and change them every 9k

I haven't got time to change them myself, but anyone know the kind of mileage before they start eating the discs? I'm on holiday from next Friday so the car will be parked up for December, but am I ok to keep driving for another week (400-500 miles) or do I need to try and get them fixed asap?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 Bitdi brake pad warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Unless your carrying a full load all the time that wear seems excessive, have them check to make sure the handbrake isn't sticking on. My rears where changed last year at around 70k miles. I tow and have bike rack on the back a lot so was happy at 70k, 9k is alarm bells especially for the rear
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

1 0 0

3. Re: A6 Bitdi brake pad warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevTrem View Post
    Unless your carrying a full load all the time that wear seems excessive, have them check to make sure the handbrake isn't sticking on. My rears where changed last year at around 70k miles. I tow and have bike rack on the back a lot so was happy at 70k, 9k is alarm bells especially for the rear
    Even if I drive it hard? I mean I try not to brake too hard but, and although I drive it hard, I don't think I push it as much as I did my Golf R and that did 17k and the brakes were something like 60% worn.

I'm assuming it's the rears (the first two photos) as they seem quite low.

It was in Audi about 3000 miles ago and they didn't flag anything about the brakes at all at that point. Maybe I'll ask Audi to check what is going on. I hate going to the dealers though... it's never a quick process

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 Bitdi brake pad warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I certainly don't hang around, and looking at your pics I would safely say its the rears. 9k is excessive, unless your commute is the Nurburgring

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 Bitdi brake pad warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I certainly don't hang around, and looking at your pics I would safely say its the rears. 9k is excessive, unless your commute is the Nurburgring
    So, should I change that front tyre which is down to 2mm before I take it in at try to complain of premature wear

I blame Milton Keynes ******* roundabouts

0 1 0

6. Re: A6 Bitdi brake pad warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSRed View Post
    So, should I change that front tyre which is down to 2mm before I take it in at try to complain of premature wear

Pmsl might help your case a little.

I would defo have the handbrake checked out though, sounds like its not fully releasing.

1 1 0

7. Re: A6 Bitdi brake pad warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Pmsl might help your case a little.

I would defo have the handbrake checked out though, sounds like its not fully releasing.
    Hahaha sounds like a plan. My rear tyres have loads of tread left, And my o/s front is ok, but the n/s front is really low. I can only assume it's the weight of the barge as I push it into roundabouts and it's tendency to understeer.

I'll drop it off as ask them whether there is a problem, which I'm sure they'll say there won't be...

And I always release the handbrake before launching it so it can't be that

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 Bitdi brake pad warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

Before you complain about premature wear read the small print on the warranty card. 6 months or 6000 miles on discs and pads. I had warped discs and pads all round which is rare. I said why don’t you check it’s not a sticky calliper or something else and then said I will have to pay for the investigation and even then I will still have to pay for the discs pads.
    Got trw discs and pads all round. A hell lot cheaper than dealers. £30 for rear pads. Trw makes the rear brakes anyway. Came with sensors and screws etc. Audi wanted £30 for the sensor alone.

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 Bitdi brake pad warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    Before you complain about premature wear read the small print on the warranty card. 6 months or 6000 miles on discs and pads. I had warped discs and pads all round which is rare. I said why don’t you check it’s not a sticky calliper or something else and then said I will have to pay for the investigation and even then I will still have to pay for the discs pads.
    Got trw discs and pads all round. A hell lot cheaper than dealers. £30 for rear pads. Trw makes the rear brakes anyway. Came with sensors and screws etc. Audi wanted £30 for the sensor alone.
    This is very true. Bloody car manufacturers. I don't know if I can be ***** to argue with Audi even more. All I've done is have problems with the dealers since I bought the ******* thing.

If the pad are cheap enough then it is probably best just getting an Indy to stick some new pads on.

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 Bitdi brake pad warning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    This is very true. Bloody car manufacturers. I don't know if I can be ***** to argue with Audi even more. All I've done is have problems with the dealers since I bought the ******* thing.

If the pad are cheap enough then it is probably best just getting an Indy to stick some new pads on.

Just make sure the Indy uses a good branded brake pads. I’ve had some cheapy partco bits on my old golf and the pad basically crumbled on every day use. Can’t go wrong with trw, Brembo, Mintex. If I remember right the brembo rear pads were £35 ish but I don’t think they came with sensors so that’s why I went with trw.
    I got all the bits from here .******* - online car parts store with over 1 million auto parts Very cheap for a lot of things but delivery can take a week + as it comes from Germany.

1 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast