1. ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry if this is an old issue as I have read lots of similar posts and would like some clarity.

The ABS and traction control light does not come on straight away but after I drive for a few miles. I first thought it was the brake switch, I have removed and cleaned off the dirt build up on the contacts inside, it seemed to help for a couple of days but the lights come on still so it could be I need a new brake switch.

Questions:
    If the dash lights do not come on straight away, does this rule out a faulty ABS sensor? Or could one of the wheel sensors need replacing, if so how to tell which one does?

The other thing is, I adjusted the steering column slightly and is seems that since then the ABS and traction lights come on, it may be the angle sensor perhaps?

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    It could be a few things, a sensor at a wheel , slippy roads and wheel spin etc

Anyway there is also another cause and that is the battery. The car checks the battery to see if there is enough power to work the brakes, older cars checked straight away at start up and newer cars after a while to allow the alternator a chance to charge the battery

A battery check is free, just google it and check for dud cell or cells

Or buy an Autel VAG505 scanner & see what the code is telling you before wasting money on buying parts
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

3. Re: ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Scan first then go from there
    eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind

0 0 0

4. Re: ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

The ABS and traction lights once they come on , stay on, so dont think its slippery road conditions?
    I will run a scan check with VCDS and see.
    Someone mentioned it may be low brake fluid?

0 0 0

5. Re: ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Just removing the switch hurts them, cleaning them is unreliable and pointless when a new one is about £15 genuine.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    20171121_205909.jpg
    So I bought a brake sensor as there was a sale on and it was worth a try for £8 ! but still the ABS and traction control lights came on.
    So I got home, plugged in the lap top and it appears that the rear right ABS sensor is open and faulty code #00287 as below :

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8E0-614-517.LBL
    Controller: 8E0 614 517
    Component: ABS/ESP front 4529
    Coding: 04499
    Shop #: WSC 00672
    VCID: E5BDB2976C79
    1 Fault Found:
    00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
    30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

I went to remove it but the small bolt is corroded and I will have to drill it out now !!

0 0 0

7. Re: ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I had the same problem last week scrape the crap out the bolt then it's a 5mm alan key to undo then take care when removing the sensor as they snap like mine did.it was a right ball ache was told I needed to remove break disk and bearing to get it out but I didn't go that route.i screwed a screw down the side of the sensor and used a little dumpy claw hammer to claw the screw out and the sensor came sliding out with it job done

0 0 0

8. Re: ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste81 View Post
    I had the same problem last week scrape the crap out the bolt then it's a 5mm alan key to undo then take care when removing the sensor as they snap like mine did.it was a right ball ache was told I needed to remove break disk and bearing to get it out but I didn't go that route.i screwed a screw down the side of the sensor and used a little dumpy claw hammer to claw the screw out and the sensor came sliding out with it job done
    Thanks for the info, were you lucky enough to just clean the sensor and re-fit or did you have to buy new? if you replaced did do yo ahve to lift the rear seat to get tot he connection plug?

Thanks

0 0 0

9. Re: ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Just put a new one in

0 0 0

10. Re: ABS and Traction control light on dash help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Sorry mine was on a golf 2.0 tdi so u won't have the problem I did. Yes you have to get under back seat to disconnect it on your car

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast