Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent

1. Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

The brakes bind on my A4 to the extent I change pads every 3 to 4 months. I have got into the habit of swapping pad as the off side has little or no wear and the nearside is to the metal after three months. I am fairly sure the problem is in the servo area. I have replaced the calliper, hose and ABS unit to no avail. The pad wear warning light (yellow light) came on tonight as I was driving home - hence my frustration although I must have got nearly four months out of the pads this time.

While I do a lot of the work on my car myself - I have had two garages work on the brakes to no avail. Fluid was replaced about a month ago. The old fluid is dark when bled at the nearside to indicate overheating. The diagonal rear brake also drags but not as bad as the front nearside.

I am in Northern Ireland and would leave the car into a garage if that helps. My only reluctance is the price for the car I was quoted when I considered trading it in. A 2003 A4 cabrio is not worth a lot and this repair is probably close to its value!

Is there an article anywhere showing the steps? I think it must be some part around the servo - basically as everything else has been changed! The fault has been in the car about a year and a half now and must be in my fourth or fifth set of pads in that time. PS it is not ungreased pins etc.

Anyone with advice?

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    My suggestion would be to try to find out if the binding is caused by the pads being tight on their seats, i.e. unable to free off properly when pedal is released.or if it may be the caliper itself
    that is sticking. On second thoughts looking at your previous work,most of these ideas should be well covered.
    Is it very evident that brakes are sticking so severe when jacked up,or does it only occur after driving for a period,like hydraulic pressure building up
    Any brake efficiency test carried out recently

1 0 0

3. Re: Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    When car is jacked up the binding does not appear to be severe. I have also started the car when raised and the binding is the same. It is really odd, however after a few miles the front nearside is too hot to touch and the burning smell is strong.

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Have a look at the" similar threads "section at bottom of this page
    1.9tdi B6 front brakes binding

1 0 0

5. Re: Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Wonder if you have collapsed vacuum pipe , its inside the pipe, so you will never see it

my mates A4 had this prblem
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

1 0 0

6. Re: Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Front nearside brake binding and getting hot is usually an indicator of a failing servo.
    A4 B6,A4B7Quattro,MK4 Golf,MK5Golf gone and well forgotten,MK6Golf.

1 0 0

7. Re: Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes, servo rusted due to water being drawn in from the plenum chamber.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

8. Re: Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for all responses. Solution was new servo - hopefully helps someone in the future!

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi A4 cabriolet brakes binding front nearside, rear offside to a lesser extent 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks - I have hyperlinked the thread you referred to (below) in case someone is searching with the same problem and finds my thread

1.9tdi B6 front brakes binding

0 1 0